Removing/allowing Logs

riddlemethis

If someone logs a cache of yours online, but there is no evidence in the physical log book, can you remove their log?  Should you?

Yes, I would delete it, but it may be a good idea to e-mail the person first and ask why they logged it, and tell them that you will delete it. They may have logged the wrong cache online.

Also, if you wish, can you allow people to log a puzzle cache if they figure out the puzzle, even if they never visit your cache?  Should you?

I would not allow it, as a "find" is not simply solving the puzzle. However, the final and sole discretion in either case is up to the cache owner on whether he will allow the logs.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Its totally up to you, but personally I'd delete fake finds. In the first case I might cut the person slack, unless they have a pattern of faking finds. If I do decide to delete I'd first send him an e-mail mentioning that I didn't see his signature in the logbook and see if he has a good reason.

I'm not sure if I signed the logbook on a recent find of mine. We were having a hard time getting the swag out of the container and once we did and got it back in, I put the logbook back inside and in retrospect I don't recall signing it. I claimed it as a find because I did find the cache. It happens. If the owner decides to delete my log thats his right.

In the second case I'd wouldn't allow a log. The sport is geocaching and this site is geocaching.com and the point is to find caches. If they just want to go around solving puzzles they should go to puzzles.com.

I only have 5 finds so far do to lack of time and being new to this. What should a person write in a log? I have been putting my name used here "QJ" and my email address along with the date. Is that enough info?

Also I wonder how many cache hiders actually check the log book with the database?

Thanks

I only have 5 finds so far do to lack of time and being new to this. What should a person write in a log? I have been putting my name used here "QJ" and my email address along with the date. Is that enough info?

Also I wonder how many cache hiders actually check the log book with the database?

Thanks

Username and date is fine.

I won't be leaving my email address.

Thanks

Many people just sign with name and date, but many cache owners appreciate it when finders leave a comment or two (in the case of a log book, not a micro log sheet :) ). Sometimes it's nice to retreive a full logbook from your cache and see comments like, "great hike!" or longer notes describing someone's adventures on their way to the cache.

In my first few finds, I think I didn't leave the date, just my name. I realized after a few caches that everyone else wrote in the date of their visit, so I started doing the same.

I write my name, the date, and the time. I think the time of the find is important for FTFs in particular. It's entertaining/frustrating to see that you just missed the FTF by 5 minutes. Also important is making sure to record your TB pickups and drop-offs. When I find a TB, I like to check the logbook to see if the bug has any particular goal before picking it up.

If someone logs a cache of yours online, but there is no evidence in the physical log book, can you remove their log? Should you?

Also, if you wish, can you allow people to log a puzzle cache if they figure out the puzzle, even if they never visit your cache? Should you?

As all have mentioned before, it's your cache, do as you feel is appropriate.

Personally, I don't keep that close of track, and I do not perform audits. If someone wants to log a fake find on one of my caches, go right ahead. No feelings hurt on this end.

On a less serious note, I do find DNF's insulting. My caches are not that difficult to find. So, if you want to log a DNF online, you better have a note in the physical log book so I know you were there to look for it.

Also, if you wish, can you allow people to log a puzzle cache if they figure out the puzzle, even if they never visit your cache?  Should you?

Solving the puzzle is just one part of the cache. It's not complete until they actually find it. I've had people figure out a puzzle, but lived too far away to go after it. They've posted notes, for some bragging rights, which I have no problem with. But if someone had tried to claim a find that way, I would have deleted it.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I went back and forth on this this summer regarding someone who logged finds on a couple of my caches although they didn't bother to climb the mountain to actually find one cache, or shimmy though the waterfilled tunnel to find another.

I eventually decided to send them an email asking them to change their found logs to notes...they changed one log to a note, and left the other as a find...I didn't delete their find as they made a decision about how they want to play the game, and I couldn't see how their choice hurt me or any other geocachers.

nfa-jamie

A geo buddy of mine has any number of "false finds" This because he accesses pages by GCID and is a lousy typist. I discovered this when we were getting together one day, and checked his recent finds to see what he had done in my area. In addition to several in the nearby state forest, he had a find (a FTF no less) on a hiking cache in Colorado! We're in Florida. So I emailed him about his amazing travel in one day. In any case, sometimes folks are just mis-logging. If you gently ask them, they'll go oops! and then maybe get the right log on the cache they actually found.

On the first I'd ask. In the days of old I didn't always sign for every single person in the group, and since I started that some of the names have changed. So they could be in the log, but a tag along or under a differnet name, or zoned signing etc.

On the second, this isn't puzzules.com so you have to find the cache even if the puzzle was awe inspiring in it's own right.

've had people figure out puzzle, but lived too far away to go after it. They've posted notes, for some bragging rights, which I have no problem with.

I've done that.

If I come across an interesting puzzle on cache too far away for me to go find it, I will try my hand at solving it then email the owner with my solution to verify if I am correct.

Just for fun.

On a less serious note, I do find DNF's insulting.  My caches are not that difficult to find.  So, if you want to log a DNF online, you better have a note in the physical log book so I know you were there to look for it.

OK, but if you are logging a DNF, and I presume that is Did Not Find, how can you record that in the logbook if you didn't find it?

On a less serious note, I do find DNF's insulting.  My caches are not that difficult to find.  So, if you want to log a DNF online, you better have a note in the physical log book so I know you were there to look for it.

OK, but if you are logging a DNF, and I presume that is Did Not Find, how can you record that in the logbook if you didn't find it?

Yeah, I found that same thing to be a little fishy! I don't think you are going to find me logging a DNF when I find a cache. I'm a number cruncher when it comes to finds.

To go along with the question at hand...I would email the person who logged a find with some clarification questions regarding what the container looked like and the surroundings around etc. The chance is there that the person who found it just simply forgot a pen and you didn't have one in the cache so they couldn't sign it.

If someone logs a cache of yours online, but there is no evidence in the physical log book, can you remove their log? Should you?

Also, if you wish, can you allow people to log a puzzle cache if they figure out the puzzle, even if they never visit your cache? Should you?

It is up to the cache owner how to handle the first. At his/her discretion. It can depends on the logger's reason. Myself, I'm a stick in the mud. "Found cache, but didn't like the people there, so I put it back without signing it" is a 'Please change log to note'. There is one log on one from someone I've been told is notorious for logging caches when they're somewhere in the neighborhood. I'll have to recheck to see if there is a signature for that one.

As to solving puzzle caches... Solving the puzzle cache is what gets you the coodinates to the cache, so that you can sign the log. I have several notes from cachers who have solved the puzzle. They will certainly search for it when they're in the neighborhood! I would never accept a "I solved the puzzle, so I'm logging it."

That does bring up the webcam. :D (Okay, so I've mentioned this in a few other forum areas...) 30% of the people trying to log it do not have the picture from the webcam. Duh. That is a requirement. What part of "Post your picture (taken by the webcam) here as proof that you were there. This is required to log this cache!" do we not understand?!?

That does bring up the webcam. :D (Okay, so I've mentioned this in a few other forum areas...) 30% of the people trying to log it do not have the picture from the webcam. Duh. That is a requirement. What part of "Post your picture (taken by the webcam) here as proof that you were there. This is required to log this cache!" do we not understand?!?

DOH! Now we're stepping on toes...Thank goodness for me, my webcam pic was taken my the owner himself. The picture got messed up in the exchange from his computer to mine!

On a less serious note, I do find DNF's insulting. My caches are not that difficult to find. So, if you want to log a DNF online, you better have a note in the physical log book so I know you were there to look for it.

Uhm...

If you leave a note in the physical log, it's a find unless you dropped a bug or something.

:D

And you shouldn't find them insulting, some people don't look in the same place you'd think to.

How mad would you be if there were 5 DNFs in a row and then you found the cache was missing?

I'd be happy that someone was DNFing it.

I didn't delete their find as they made a decision about how they want to play the game, and I couldn't see how their choice hurt me or any other geocachers.

nfa-jamie

See below

If someone logs a cache of yours online, but there is no evidence in the physical log book, can you remove their log?  Should you?

As all have mentioned before, it's your cache, do as you feel is appropriate.

Personally, I don't keep that close of track, and I do not perform audits. If someone wants to log a fake find on one of my caches, go right ahead. No feelings hurt on this end.

Maybe no hurt feelings on your end, but think of the next honest seeker. What if that fake find came AFTER your cache went missing for whatever reason. I come looking for it, I can't find it. I check the logs on my PDA and see that Joe Cacher just "found" it yesterday. Hmmm.....it must be here somewhere then, and I spend anohter half hour or so searching in vain before coming home to log my DNF. Now, if Joe had logged his DNF, I might not have wasted that extra half-hour, AND you'd have TWO DNF's, which might be enough to prompt you to check on your cache. Even worse, if my DNF was yesterday, and Joe logs the find today, you and I both think I just missed it the first time, and I go out and waste a lot more time searching since Joe just "found it", when it's really not there at all.

I don't even know where to begin on this one........

I don't even know where to begin on this one........

How about the first 5 words of his statement :D

:lol: How can you log it if you did't find it. Ive DNF'd some easy caches that eluded me for one reason or another.

:lol: How can you log it if you did't find it. Ive DNF'd some easy caches that eluded me for one reason or another.

Usually, in most cases, the rules for logging a DNF require the geocacher to not have his name in the logbook. If your name is in the logbook, I would go back to the cache immediately and cross it out so you can log the DNF properly online. :drama:

:santa: How can you log it if you did't find it. Ive DNF'd some easy caches that eluded me for one reason or another.

Usually, in most cases, the rules for logging a DNF require the geocacher to not have his name in the logbook. If your name is in the logbook, I would go back to the cache immediately and cross it out so you can log the DNF properly online. :santa:

:santa::santa::santa: