Indigo

IndiGo-Geo

Looking forward to next weekends event and only 13 days to TRAILMIX II !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am thinking about driving down Friday afternoon and doing the "Reflections of a THousand" cache, then camping/hammocking at Clark Friday night. If anyone knows where the nearest camping area is to the event, could you please let me know, otherwise I can always 'stealth camp' somewhere in the area.

Diana

BBG

Looking forward to next weekends event and only 13 days to TRAILMIX II !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am thinking about driving down Friday afternoon and doing the "Reflections of a THousand" cache, then camping/hammocking at Clark Friday night. If anyone knows where the nearest camping area is to the event, could you please let me know, otherwise I can always 'stealth camp' somewhere in the area.

Diana

BBG

there is primitive camping at the clark state forest

Check out GCE10C for the entrance cords to the The Clark State Forest. Follow the signs to the campground.

Not sure if we can have bagels. The MAD BAGEL DISEASE has spread from Europe to the US and the government is talking a country wide bagel quarantine. Heaven help us.

Deermark

Hey Trailmixers. TrailMix II is coming up this Saturday. Our area has been deluged by rain the last few days and we are soaked. The next two days are going to be clear but rain is again forecast for Thursday. Friday and Saturday look to be sunny though. The low for Friday night is predicted to be 27 with a high Saturday of 47.

Most of the hiking will be on horse trails so you can expect them to be muddy in places. If you are doing the long hike up the hill be sure to bring water and snacks. A hiking pole might be helpful also. See you Satruday.

Deermark

Yay! For a bit there, it looked like JAPTKD was going to have to work. But, he got the all clear today (of course, that was with a "unless things change before Friday" caveat... sigh), so as of now, it looks like we're good to go.

Does anyone know of hotels in the area and/or the zipcode around there? we might try to drive over Saturday morning, but with the time zone shift and the 9:30 til 10:am start time... we might be lazy and drive over on Friday, if there's anywhere nearby to stay at.

OK you got me. I will volunteer to drive you there and go up with you as long as my sore back is going again. I was up there two weeks ago around 9:30PM or so to pick up a geocoin. So it is pitch dark, I am all alone and I realize that I am standing in the doorway to an old crypt. Now that was spooky.

Anybody else game for a little night time spookiness?

Deermark

OK you got me. I will volunteer to drive you there and go up with you as long as my sore back is going again. I was up there two weeks ago around 9:30PM or so to pick up a geocoin. So it is pitch dark, I am all alone and I realize that I am standing in the doorway to an old crypt. Now that was spooky.

Anybody else game for a little night time spookiness?

Deermark

If we get to town before you head there, we'd be game. When were you thinking of leaving the Scottsburg area? (don't feel like you need to wait for us, just trying to figure out if there's any chance of us getting there in time)

I plan on meeting Shydog at Exit 9 off of I-65. We are meeting at 6:00pm at McDonalds. I am sure that time is flexible if you guys need a little more time. Anyone else out there game for a little night spooky night caching?

If anyone wants to try the 2nd best pancakes in the world before the Trailmix go to Exit 19 and try Schuler's Restaurant. Daggy and I will be there around 7:45am Saturday morning. Come and join us.

Deermark

I plan on meeting Shydog at Exit 9 off of I-65. We are meeting at 6:00pm at McDonalds. I am sure that time is flexible if you guys need a little more time. Anyone else out there game for a little night spooky night caching?

If anyone wants to try the 2nd best pancakes in the world before the Trailmix go to Exit 19 and try Schuler's Restaurant. Daggy and I will be there around 7:45am Saturday morning. Come and join us.

Deermark

I guess you'll have to count me and Beffums out for a trip to the vault. Realisticly I won't be able to leave work until 4:00 at the earliest. It takes me at least a half hour to get home and would be about 2 hours for us to get to Jeffersonville. That'd put us at 7:30 EST at the absolute earliest and we'll likely not get there until more like 9. :) Have fun at the cache and we'll see you on Saturday morning.

Edited by japtkd

Deermark

I guess you'll have to count me and Beffums out for a trip to the vault. Realisticly I won't be able to leave work until 4:00 at the earliest. It takes me at least a half hour to get home and would be about 2 hours for us to get to Jeffersonville. That'd put us at 7:30 EST at the absolute earliest and we'll likely not get there until more like 9. ;) Have fun at the cache and we'll see you on Saturday morning.

change of plans! ;) JAPTKD now has to work tonight from 8 pm until 4-6 am, but then he's off until Sunday. So, I'm done teaching at 2 (CST), which means we should easily be there by 6 (EST). We'll meet you at the McDonalds, unless plans have changed?

Thanks for a GREAT second trailmix! So, when's the next one?? :mad: (and, next time, could we put in a request for somewhere in the flatlands? I mean, c'mon, this is Indiana...) :mad:

Ok, time to go soak in another long hot bath - some day these muscles will stop hurting.

Breakfast at Shuler’s in Henryville..........$8

Gas to go to Trail Mix II.........................$30

Meeting friends for an all day Cache Hike at Shaw Lake.......REALLY COOL!

Calling in sick to work, because your calves hurt so bad you can’t stand up…..PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So When’s Trail Mix III????????????

:D:D:D

ce45be0e-d243-461e-acc3-cdc1c1ff3b78.jpg

TRAILMIX III. I am thinking May 20. That would be two weeks after the Spring Picnic. We had such a great time at Shaw Lake. Okay so I UNDERESTIMATAED the hills just a little :D Thanks so much to all who attended. I had so much fun with you guys. Wasn't it nice of JPlus14 to park his truck at the end of the trail. You think if Neos would have been with us she would have fallen out? :D

Deermark

Wasn't it nice of JPlus14 to park his truck at the end of the trail. You think if Neos would have been with us she would have fallen out? ;)

Deermark

Only if there was a creek to fall into--that is my specialty, after all.

I wish that we had been there, it sounds like everyone had a great time.

The countdown is on...I have to teach exactly 9 more classes before spring break. It has been a really rotten school year and I need the break.

Can't wait to hear more about the next trailmix. I spent the day getting ready by hunting "Little Africa" caches by Indotguy. I think I walked about 10mi round trip! It sure felt like I did! I also recently discovered the joy of hiding a cache as to finding them. I hope I can hide as good as everyone else around here. I think its going good so far. Glad to finally meet Deermark at PoorBoys the other day, maybe see ya on the next trailmix if I don't have to work.

7cd6fa7e-5d5d-4bfb-ab39-5bce4503defe.jpg

Jplus14 and I enjoyed our weekend. We travel into Kentucky to the Daniel Boone National Forest to do some hiking and caching. The above photo is at a natural arch near London, KY. Check out my extra long hiking pole. That is for pole vaulting over the ravines. Speaking of ravines. we tried to bushwack to a cache only to go about 1 mile in and be stopped by a 150' dropoff to a river. We were less than 200' from the cache and couldn't get to it. Doesn't always pay to try to find a shorter way in.

Deermark

Would that happen to be the Jones-Keeney Natural Bridge Earthcache (GCQ0ZA)? It looks remarkably similar if it isn't. I'd highly recommend that earthcache to anyone. The hike is about a half mile but not very rugged and the views are awesome. After mapping out London KY I can see you were nowhere close to this cache, did there happen to be a cache at this location?

a98b71c0-fad4-4c33-a410-94ea7013a2ee.jpg

Just got back from a great trip to Virgin Falls GC2A90. This cache is located about 1-1/2 hours East of Nashville, TN. The torrential downpours on Friday night made for a few harrowing stream crossings but the extra flow also made all the falls along the way fantastic. The water that flows over Virgin Falls emerges from a cave and then cascades 110' only to enter another cave and disappear. JPlus14, Kepnfit, Geode Hunters, LumberJack Tom, Smee and myself made the 12 mile round trip Saturday. What a wonderful area the Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness is. I placed this cache immediately on my favorites list. I would definitely recommend this cache to anyone that likes to hike. By the way that is Ken of Geode Hunters in the photo.

Deermark

Edited by Deermark

a98b71c0-fad4-4c33-a410-94ea7013a2ee.jpg

Just got back from a great trip to Virgin Falls GC2A90. This cache is located about 1-1/2 hours East of Nashville, TN. The torrential downpours on Friday night made for a few harrowing stream crossings but the extra flow also made all the falls along the way fantastic. The water that flows over Virgin Falls emerges from a cave and then cascades 110' only to enter another cave and disappear. JPlus14, Kepnfit, Geode Hunters, LumberJack Tom, Smee and myself made the 12 mile round trip Saturday. What a wonderful area the Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness is. I placed this cache immediately on my favorites list. I would definitely recommend this cache to anyone that likes to hike. By the way that is Ken of Geode Hunters in the photo.

Deermark

All i can say is Wow.... that's beautiful....

Team Neos took a little trip down to Myrtle Beach to get away for the end of the Spring Break. We did a little caching, hid a cache there with a local newbie, met up with a team of newbies, and soaked in some sun and surf.

The cache we hid was GCV605 bet ARF won't be FTF on this one!

f63a2791-edd5-4148-8914-05029e81287c.jpg

Drgnsrealm in the beach. He is a MB local that will likely become quite the cacher.

e2b328ee-a383-46d7-a8c7-8eae5256f600.jpg

Neos 1 on the beach (You can't keep an old sailor away from the water for long!)

5ae797fd-952b-4cc5-b3e9-4ed359fc205c.jpg

The youngest member of Team Neos, aka "and son" learning that caching isn't all that bad --near a trail marker tree.

b4debfe6-93b3-4b23-9568-a79541c5714f.jpg

View from the hotel room--not our first choice, but it sure will be next time. (I can tell you all about another place that you do not want to stay at in Myrtle Beach, by the way!)

Edited by Team Neos

Hey Chris. I want to thank you for not showing us a photo of you in your thong bikini swimwear.

Sounds like a nice trip.

Deermark

Hey Mark,

I want to know if you brought me back a rock from the falls for a souvenier?

Remember, always bring the science teacher a rock from vacation!

Sherri

PS, if you didn't, would you please swing by the road cut in the foothills of the smokies and get me one from there, too--Like a dummy, I didn't pick one up, even though I went "ooh" and "ahh" when I looked at them!

How would you like rocks from some western states? Through some fault of my own I am between jobs right now. On April 26 I am leaving on a two week tour of New Mexico, Arizona, Grand Canyon and all the great National Parks along the southern part of Utah. I also am planning on going up to Yellowstone and then the Dakotas. I can bring you lots of rocks.

Deermark

How would you like rocks from some western states? Through some fault of my own I am between jobs right now. On April 26 I am leaving on a two week tour of New Mexico, Arizona, Grand Canyon and all the great National Parks along the southern part of Utah. I also am planning on going up to Yellowstone and then the Dakotas. I can bring you lots of rocks.

Deermark

Yes, please, lots of rocks. Thank you.

It's great that you can console yourself with the nice trip. I wish you a wonderful time.

Yellowstone is the reason that I got to go to South Carolina, by the way...

Ya see, one of my great-great-great uncles had this ability to say almost anything with a straight face, whether he was yanking your chain, or telling the gospel truth. My father was the same way. It runs in the family.

The uncle was a farmer in Knox, Indiana. One day, he said to his wife of thirty some years that he thought he'd go see Yellowstone that Saturday. She asked him if he was kidding, and he asked her why he would kid about a thing like that. She figured he was just goshing, since he didn't say any more than that.

Saturday morning, he got up and worked on the front room he was adding to the farm house for a couple of hours, so she figured he was just kidding and started breakfast and got herself ready to go to work. She worked part-time at the drugstore in town. She called him in to breakfast, he laid down the hammer, they ate together, and then he went to the bedroom and started throwing some clothes into a suitcase. She asked him what he was doing, he told her he was packing to go to Yellowstone. She told him that she thought he was kidding, and again he asked her why she thought he would kid about a thing like that. She wailed that she had to work, and asked what she should do about that, and he told her she better call her boss if she was going with him. She called her boss, who knew her husband well (hey, its a small town). The boss laughed and told her that she better hurry and pack her bag if she was going with her husband to Yellowstone.

A couple of weeks before spring break, I told Chris that I thought I might go to Myrtle Beach for spring break. He asked if I was serious, and all I had to say was "Remember the Yellowstone story" Chris came home the next day to tell me that he had a rental car and hotel reservations made for Myrtle Beach.

Edited to try to cache the spelling errors I noticed, just because I am like that.

Edited by Team Neos

Very cool story. The company I "used" to work for is in bad finacial shape. I told Lynn about 9 months ago that when I got laid off I was going to tour the Western part of the country. About 3 months again I told her again that I was going. When she questioned if I was serious I told her that it was not negotiable. Luckily 31 years of marriage saved me from divorce. It would take her too long to train a new guy.

I will take some freezer bags and bad some rocks from each place I go.

Deermark

Very cool story. The company I "used" to work for is in bad finacial shape. I told Lynn about 9 months ago that when I got laid off I was going to tour the Western part of the country. About 3 months again I told her again that I was going. When she questioned if I was serious I told her that it was not negotiable. Luckily 31 years of marriage saved me from divorce. It would take her too long to train a new guy.

I will take some freezer bags and bad some rocks from each place I go.

Deermark

Wish would have happened 6 months ago and you'd have a caching buddy going with you. (maybe I still got time ..LOL) Have a great trip and be safe!

Jim

Hey Chris. I want to thank you for not showing us a photo of you in your thong bikini swimwear.

Sounds like a nice trip.

Deermark

Hey Mark,

I don't get to the forums often. I've been putting in 55 to 60 hours a week so I just saw this post. For the thong pics go to www.beachedwhale.com.

Chris

Now that crakced me up. Oops. Am I allowed to say that?

Deermark

Only if you're looking from "behind". By the way, I tripped over some new rocks on my front porch on my way in from work while ago. NICE! I'm sure Sherri will thank you herself if and when I relenquish the 'puter.

Deermark

Only if you're looking from "behind". By the way, I tripped over some new rocks on my front porch on my way in from work while ago. NICE! I'm sure Sherri will thank you herself if and when I relenquish the 'puter.

Hello. My name is Chris.

<Hi Chris.>

...uh, hi... um .. uh and ...

<It's okay, Chris. >

<It's cool, Chris>

<Go ahead, man.>

... thanks ... and, um .... I'm ... I'm ... I'm a Rock-oholic!

<That's okay, Chris.>

<Way to go Chris>

<We love you.>

Wow ... um ... wow ... thanks, guys ... ... It started when I was a teenager. I thought it would be cool to , you know, have a few pebbles at prom ... and then, it became a few after school ... next thing I know I'm picking up cobblestones downtown .... ... .....

Oh no, man, you've got it ALL wrong.

My name is Sherri, and I am THE rock-a-holic.

I like rocks. I like them a lot.

I have rocks in my living room.

I have rocks on my back patio.

I have rocks on my bookcase.

I have rocks in a rock garden out in front of my house.

I have rocks on my front porch.

I have rocks on the floorboard of my car and in the trunk.

I have rocks in my classroom.

People bring rocks to me, and they leave them in my front porch.

People mail rocks to me from all over the world.

It is sooooo bad that, when we moved to our new home, we decided to replace the couch that we had, and I told me son that I was thinking of just using two big boulders carved out with planks between them for a new sofa, to go with the decor. My son believed me, and begged me not to do it, assuring me that while he understood why I would want that others would think it was strange.

I pick them up when I travel.

I ask students to make collections of rocks and donate them to the classroom.

I have paid for rocks. I have paid too much for some of them.

I am looking for someone with a lap saw to cut open some thundereggs that I bought.

I told students in my clasroom today about rocks.

I made them take notes.

I handed them rocks to look at and I let them touch my rocks.

In fact, I encouraged them to lick some of the rocks.

Next class, they will get a cup full of rocks, and they will have to classify the rocks as sedimentary, igneous, or metamorphic and then identify the rocks.

The class after that they will have to identify minerals. I like minerals a lot, also.

I have corrupted others. One man claimed "The other cachers will not carry the additions to your rock collection." while you are geocaching. However, I once managed to convince my beloved husband, Chris, to carry a HUGE rock for me while we were hiking on Rose Island. After I went for a refreshing swim, the that same man quoted above --whom I had never met before that day--- actually carried the same HUGE rock 3/4 mile up a 7% grade hill from the creek at Rose Island for me. (Oh DO check out the topo map for that one. The road he carried the rock up is to the LEFT of the creek near the cache!)

Edited by Team Neos

Deermark

Hello. My name is Chris.

<Hi Chris.>

...uh, hi... um .. uh and ...

<It's okay, Chris. >

<It's cool, Chris>

<Go ahead, man.>

... thanks ... and, um .... I'm ... I'm ... I'm a Rock-oholic!

<That's okay, Chris.>

<Way to go Chris>

<We love you.>

Wow ... um ... wow ... thanks, guys ... ... It started when I was a teenager. I thought it would be cool to , you know, have a few pebbles at prom ... and then, it became a few after school ... next thing I know I'm picking up cobblestones downtown .... ... .....

Actually it's worse than you think but not as bad as a certain science teacher we know. It started at about age 11 when I used to walk rail beds to get from place to place in the west end of Louisville. I don't know where the K&I railroad used to get their gravel for the rail beds but I used to find arrowheads and other flint tools quite often. And lest you think the teacher is kidding, I'll vouch for the rockorama. Probably 40% of them are/were mine anyway. By the way, who was that cacher that carried that 12 pound piece of fossil coral from the canoe ride at Rose anyway?