Indigo

IndiGo-Geo

Thanks for offering to take on my creek task, {LoS}-Xile!

Glad everyone had a good time, and that it turned out to be a nice day for the trip. I can hardly wait for Derrmark to post his photo.

On the home front...the boy did a great job in the play--the kids all did-- and the kids are all hoping that they will be invited to the state level.

Reports of me falling into creeks have been knon to be GREATLY exaggerrated

Sorry I failed to fall in the creek this time, but Ratler(lololoco) fell down in the valley, and Chuck took a little tumble over the aforementioned log.

All in all a good day.... fun fun fun fun... who's trail we going on next???

I need to check on when Spring Break is at USI, but I plan on having one the Saturday of Spring break down here in Evansville at the University of Southern Indiana. I'll have to see if Indigo will be sponsoring it or not. And, well, trailmix might be a bit of a stretch (there's the trails through the Bent Twig Learning Center (4 caches, about .75 mi), one cache along the road in the middle of campus (about .3 mile from the 4th at Bent Twig), and then 4 caches at the cross country/hiking trails on the "east" side of campus (about 1/2 mi walk from the one in the middle of campus, or we can move cars in the middle of the "hike"). So, 9 possible caches, 4 new as of 1/12/06, plus after the "hike", there's all of Evansville awaiting your caching attacks. Plus, who knows, maybe more caches will show up there between now and then.

Oh, yeah, the "trailmix might be a bit of a stretch" - I was thinking this one might need to be re-dubbed "walk and talk" or something, since it's not all that strenuous of a hike. But, I'm sure people will find ways to spice it up. There IS a creek to fall into both at the Bent Twig trails AND at the cross-country trails.

Oh, and did I mention the large "reflection lake" that everyone could tumble into? :laughing:

Hey Bean Blossom Gang...You got mail...LOL

Bet you have maxed out your inbox today!!!

Got home around 5:00pm - Finished my caching and took one last drive through the park to make sure no one had been abandoned.

After the Rock Shelter, I did Three Lakes Cache - very nice hike out at the Beginning of the 10 mile Three Lakes Trail (I think I have an idea for my next set of Trail caches!)

Then while I was talking to some unidentified cachers, a "little bird" landed on my shoulder and whispered the coords to a NEW cache. So off I went for a FTF

Finally, I was able to go do Observe This (VERY COOL area) hasn't been found since PP found it back in March. This one is definitely seasonal, I don't think you can get there during BRIAR Season :laughing: THANKS PP - for the hint about the Fire Trail!

MY EMAIL account exploded when I got home, seems SOMEBODY forgot to uncheck her Bookmark List, so between the Rock Shelter Caches, my bookmark list for the park, and my other caches in the area I had over 500 emails by last night, another 100 when I woke up this morning, and I shutter to think what it will be like when I get home tonight. But THEY HAVE BEEN SO MUCH FUN TO READ, Glad everyone had such a good time.

So where are we going next??? And when??

I am thinking down South the next time. Somewhere on the trails in Clark State Forest. I had Shaw Lake Trail in mind. There are 20+ caches there but with the huge hill at the start and the 5-6 mile loop nay be a bit much. I'm sure it would end up being an all day affair. But there are plenty of trails down here so I will ponder over it a while.

Wasn't Saturday fun?

Deermark

I am thinking down South the next time. Somewhere on the trails in Clark State Forest. I had Shaw Lake Trail in mind. There are 20+ caches there but with the huge hill at the start and the 5-6 mile loop nay be a bit much. I'm sure it would end up being an all day affair. But there are plenty of trails down here so I will ponder over it a while.

Wasn't Saturday fun?

Deermark

You know by the time you add in the extra in and outs for Meandering Morgan Cache, and the MasonRidge Caches and some of the others...most people did average around 5-6 miles for the day. Find a good "halfway point" we all bring our own Trail lunch and take a break in the middle.

BTW-Anyone who missed the event, if you want to go out to MMSF but don't want to hike alone or in unfamiliar territory...I live pretty close and regularly hike these trails, let me know when you want to hike and if it works with my schedule I would be happy to go with you - "bring you OWN poptarts" :)

Wasn't Saturday fun?

Deermark

I would be interest in this one. Hopefully it would be before the middle of April, I get busy at work in the spring and have to work Saturdays 'till November. :)

Wasn't Saturday fun?

Deermark

Saturday was great. JAPTKD and I would definitely be interested in Clark State Forest, as long as we don't have to work. I think Bean Blossom Gang is right - most of us likely ended hiking close to 5 or 6 miles anyway this weekend, so it's not a dramatic increase over what we did. Plus, most of us had some form of a back pack or fanny pack - just warn us ahead of time, and we'll fill those with lunch and then can stop along the way and take a bit of a break.

sigh. If any of you are anywhere near Evansville and would like to put out a new cache or two - japtkd and I would appreciate it. We've put out 12 in the past 5 days, and almost 20 since Christmas, and only 3 new ones have appeared that anyone else has placed. sigh. I know I know, Mama Jane will say we need to drive up to Patoka and find her caches this weekend. I guess we'll need to. ;)

ok, so maybe we got spoiled when we moved here and had 30 caches in a 5 mile radius from our house and about 80 in a 10 mile radius.

:o

Hey Beffums-

Just saw the listing for your NEW EVENT in

EVANSVILLE

Sure hope I can make it!

Evansville......Are you sure that's STILL in Indiana???? :drama:

we think so, but you might want to check directions through Kentucky and Illinois just in case.

:blink::blink::blink:

To keep things simpler, we're having it at the same restaurant as the original INDIGO -Evansville event. Anyone who's up for the drive down/over to Evansville is invited. Yes, we'll be talking about starting up a social group here, but we'll also just be eating and chatting and eating and chatting. (and, there are lots of caches in Evansville for before/after the event)

Hope you can make it. :)

sigh. If any of you are anywhere near Evansville and would like to put out a new cache or two - japtkd and I would appreciate it. We've put out 12 in the past 5 days, and almost 20 since Christmas, and only 3 new ones have appeared that anyone else has placed. sigh. I know I know, Mama Jane will say we need to drive up to Patoka and find her caches this weekend. I guess we'll need to. :D

ok, so maybe we got spoiled when we moved here and had 30 caches in a 5 mile radius from our house and about 80 in a 10 mile radius.

:D

ok, since I whined, and she replied, I must say

THANKS MAMA JANE!!!!!!! (and soccerboy and bballgirl!!!) we couldn't get to all your new caches today - we didn't leave Evansville until after dusk, so the cemeteries were out by the time we reached Patoka. But, thanks thanks thanks thanks. we didn't have to drive to Kentucky to go geocaching! :bad: woot!

The next TrailMix? I am leaning toward the Shaw Lake Trail in Clark State Forest in Henryville. Henryville is at Exit 19 off of I-65. The start of this trail has a legitimate 3-1/2 or 4 Hill to climb. After that the going is more of a 2 or 2-1/2 for most of the way. There is 20+ caches here and would be a good way to blow 3 or 4 hours. There are five caches around the lake that are a 2 - 2-1/2 hike that would take about an hour to grab. I am looking at March 11 or 18. I have to check my dates. I have a conflict on one of those days. I hope to have an event page up soon. Thanks to all the made the last TrailMix so much fun. Any ideas on how to make it better?

Deermark

The next TrailMix? I am leaning toward the Shaw Lake Trail in Clark State Forest in Henryville. Henryville is at Exit 19 off of I-65. The start of this trail has a legitimate 3-1/2 or 4 Hill to climb. After that the going is more of a 2 or 2-1/2 for most of the way. There is 20+ caches here and would be a good way to blow 3 or 4 hours. There are five caches around the lake that are a 2 - 2-1/2 hike that would take about an hour to grab. I am looking at March 11 or 18. I have to check my dates. I have a conflict on one of those days. I hope to have an event page up soon. Thanks to all the made the last TrailMix so much fun. Any ideas on how to make it better?

Deermark

Do it on a Thursday, the only day I have off under my current schedule.

Deermark

FYI Deermark, if you're uncertain between the 11th or the 18th of March, U of E and USI are both on spring break on the 11th. Beffums was thinking about having a similar event on either the 11th or the 4th at USI in order to decrease the number of muggles around and depending on interest and when people could make it. We'd both also love to go on the next trail mix... As for improving the next trailmix, how about jetdryers in front of us to dry up the mud! :lol:

Deermark

FYI Deermark, if you're uncertain between the 11th or the 18th of March, U of E and USI are both on spring break on the 11th. Beffums was thinking about having a similar event on either the 11th or the 4th at USI in order to decrease the number of muggles around and depending on interest and when people could make it. We'd both also love to go on the next trail mix... As for improving the next trailmix, how about jetdryers in front of us to dry up the mud! :lol:

yeah, but I can always hold on mine until after Spring semester ends -- Deermark's sounds much more interesting than my idea.

Deermark

yeah, but I can always hold on mine until after Spring semester ends -- Deermark's sounds much more interesting than my idea.

The next TrailMix? I am leaning toward the Shaw Lake Trail in Clark State Forest in Henryville. Henryville is at Exit 19 off of I-65. The start of this trail has a legitimate 3-1/2 or 4 Hill to climb......Thanks to all the made the last TrailMix so much fun.

Any ideas on how to make it better?

Deermark

MORE POPTARTS :D

Guys only?

I know this one bar in Bedford where they have this one girl ... oh, um, never mind.

(I'll tell you later when the wife isn't looking.)

OK. I have my sh....stuff together now. The next TrailMix will be March 18. I have another committment on March 11. Look for a cache page to be up and running in a few days. Was that a demand for Poptarts BeanBlossom? How about Rice Krispies Treats or maybe Froot Loops by the handfulls?

Deermark

Can't make it. Replinishing Muncie is the same day and it's alot.. more than 100 miles closer. Hopefully I can make it to #3.

I can tell you that the Rangeline Nature Preserve in Anderson would make a great one. Lots of trails, some pretty challanging. Theres a really difficult hide which could eat up most of the day, a 3 stage multi, another regular cache on a fairly tough trail and 2 caches down by the river which are about a 2.5 mile round trip from the parking. Total of 5 caches but at least 5 or 6 miles hike between all of them.

In order mentioned:

GCRZQN

GCP12K

GCT1D9

GCH6C0

GCH6N4

The park is just West of Mounds State Park.

Deermark,

we know we know - you have a life (and with the beautiful weather we had yesterday, if yours was at all similar, hopefully your life got to include some caching!). But, ... any more news on the next trailmix? :D

we have the weekend of March 18th marked on the calendar, but weren't sure if more details were forthcoming...

ok, so I never really thought that I grew up in a "big town" - my hometown of Wampum, PA has about 600 people in it (2000 if you count the "suburbs" - i.e., anyone who gets mail through the post office, but that's not what locals call Wampum). But hey, let's count big, we'll go with the 2000 number. still not the big city. JAPTKD's hometown has about 200 people in it; if you go with where his post office is (about 5 miles away), then you get up to about 1500. again, not the big city.

So, we were caching in Patoka/Princeton today, trying to find a cache, you know the drill. driving south on US 41, mis-communication leads to a more sudden turn than is usual, but not unsafe (and a right turn at a light with a turning lane... etc etc). it also results in a cop turning to follow us. and follow us. and follow us. So, JAPTKD promptly sets the cruise for 1 mph below the speed limit, and we follow the straight-as-an-arrow road (do you guys build anything else around here???) waiting to see what either the cop or the GPS said to do next. so, this contiues, and we stopped at a stop sign and paused, since the GPSr insisted it was at a 45 degree angle - debating - to turn, or not to turn. we didn't pause for too long (there's a cop right behind us after all, didn't want to look "weird", but a longer than normal stop with no one coming). decided to turn. cop follows. lights start flashing. we pull over. wonder if a brakelight is out or something. roll down window rest of the way (btw - wasn't this weekend like PERFECT weather!). cop walks up

ok, get ready, this line is classic

"so, I noticed that you have Evansville tags..."

now, really - is 17 miles allllllll that far to drive in a car??? we were less than 1.4 miles from us 41 - trust me, I had a GPS in my hand, measuring the distance! only about a block from IN 64 (what we *should* have turned on originally). is this so surprising?? do people around here really not travel?????

anyway, we explained we were geocaching. got the blank look. tried the "scavenger hunt" synonym. got a head nod. took the license and registration, and got sent on our way. no biggie, except the laugh over the "you have Evansville plates" line...

;):P;);):P:D:D:D:cute::lol:;):D;);)

It's a good thing you two didn't have Doobies with you... one look at him and the cop would have had you all downtown(or whatever passes for it around there)

yeah, but we sure coulda used him later. after we hit 300, it was time for some cache maintenance. my hubby's love of nanos = lots of logs to replace and roll and roll and roll and roll...

I'll have to try! I just got ahold of a few ammo cans. I hid one with Houndogg_FL not too long ago at the Birdseye Trails. Hdogg has a spot picked out in Orange Co. for one, so that leaves one more can to hide somewhere! Indian-Celina would be a good spot. I also just ordered some of those new geocoins, so one may find its way into a cache as a FTF prize.

Edited by jadeskyline

KENTUCKIANA MEET AND GREET**** For anyone coming to the EVENT this Saturday in Clarksville please note that the location had to be changed. It seems that the freezers went out at Hometown Buffet. The EVENT is now at Golden Corral, about 1/2 mile away. The EVENT page reflects the new cords.

N 38° 19.129 W 085° 45.368

Should be a fun time. WCNut and JPlus14 have put some routes together. If you have never been in the area before you can grab a mess of caches.

Deermark

Anybody going to the Evansville event this weekend. I am sure it will be a fun one.

Deermark

I would but with Doobie's car throwing a shoe on the way back from the 3rd annual Kentuckiana meet and eat weekend and me not able to put the mileage on my company car I doubt it looks hopeful that we will be able to attend...

f0b64fe6-9d85-48dd-81ee-3e4887249058.jpg

5f479ee4-c0de-4059-9d44-917b3625ecf5.jpg

The good news is that I went back out there today and found the tire, Intact, and barely scratched and 300 feet from where our car stopped it's 83 mph 800 foot slowdown

oh yeah bear in mind this happened on I 65 northbound... I think we're lucky that nobody was nearby when it happened and that Ed is a good enouh driver that he kept us from getting killed by safely getting onto the shoulder

good to hear that everyone was ok. The car doesn't look so happy... ugh. what happened to cause the tire to come off?

Wow, that's nasty looking. With the underbody damage.. is it totaled? Nice driving doobies. Can't say I've ever experinced anything quite like that... Must of been a wild ride.

My battle with a car didn't end quite as well. Of course mine just decided to fall on me. I guess it didn't like me draining the oil? I might be a little too sore for geocaching tomarrow! Might try to make it to the event Saturday though, just have to wait and see.

Either way, the local ford dealership will be seeing more business from now on.. I'm gonna forget the filter for now, run it for a couple thousand more miles on some new cheap-o oil and then take it in and have synthetic put in it (like I was planning on doing this time). No way I'm going back under for the filter though. I'll call a tow truck before that happens :P

Edit: I'm referring to a different event, I was thinking about going to fort wayne, not evansville. 78 Miles > 180 Miles

Edited by dougsmiley

Anybody going to the Evansville event this weekend. I am sure it will be a fun one.

Deermark

Neos 1 and I are planning to go to Evansville this weekend. While the locals hang out and plan how to set up their organization, we will probably slip out and go find some of the local caches---but those Evansville folks are nice, so we wouldn't miss it for anything!