Indigo

IndiGo-Geo

I doubt walmart would of cared if it was on a lightpost. No buisness is going to dispute something that brings people to their store. They just didn't appreciate people poking at their gas lines. That sort of screams terrorist. Maybe a new guideline "Not within 20 ft. of gas meters, shutoffs, etc." would be appropriate. Also, it sounds like it was behind the building or something, which is supposed to be off-limits to the public.

What part of "private property" is not understood? Just because a place allows its customers to use the lot to park their cars and is tolerant of many activities does NOT mean we can use the lot for our private game.

I can't picture any of us allowing WalMart to park its trucks in our yards.

Please do not use Walmart property for this game.

A copy of this letter has been sent to geocaching administrators.

Maybe this will be the end of Walmart lamp-post caches? We can only hope! :)

An aside to make this related to Indiana Geocaching -- at the Fall picnic I, in a desperate attempt at numbers, found a Walmart lamp-post cache in Madison. I felt so dirty. :) Especially since there were other nice caches around.

Edited by RPW

Please do not use Walmart property for this game.

A copy of this letter has been sent to geocaching administrators.

Maybe this will be the end of Walmart lamp-post caches? We can only hope! :lol:

An aside to make this related to Indiana Geocaching -- at the Fall picnic I, in a desperate attempt at numbers, found a Walmart lamp-post cache in Madison. I felt so dirty. :lol: Especially since there were other nice caches around.

Yea but not dirty enough not to log it. :):):lol:

What part of "private property" is not understood? Just because a place allows its customers to use the lot to park their cars and is tolerant of many activities does NOT mean we can use the lot for our private game.

I can't picture any of us allowing WalMart to park its trucks in our yards.

3 things please and please don't take this too negatively:

1. I am often a customer at the local walmar and even put up with those friggin bell ringers at x-mas if walmart doesn't want to support my hobby then they can go frig themselves and i'll shop at target

2. If someone tries to use this to end micros because they have something against them then maybe i should lobby the state to ban geocaching in state owned forests since we all know that geocaching really does impact the environment around a geocache.(this won't ever happen but try and look at things from others perspectives, i'd rather trample the ground around a lamp post then a protected area in the wild with engangered plants being trampled)

3. I didn't know that walmart had a game where they parked their trucks and tried to locate them with gps receivers <_<

sorry for the rambling but I don't like it when people attack micros just because THEY don't like them. Some of us can't always be out hiking in the woods(even though I love too) My kids can't always go on 6 mile hikes and sometimes believe it or not they like to find micros too. Especially ones in holllowed out rats.

Okay enough rambling and onto a more positive topic:

What is your favorite micro hide/container?

Mine has to be BOB

In case you don't know what that means click here

Have you ever been down in the southern US? I was in Alabama this summer. Would you believe there is a series of wal mart caches out there (200+)? Definately not my bag baby! :o

What's next, micros in cemeteries? <_<

There there is also 4damfam's "it's all about the numbers" series. Yes I did one yesterday in a shameful attmept to get to 399 before next weekend (APE cache run). He has an excellent sense of humor about the whole thing, so I did not feel bad about it. ;)

bbf: I know you were smiling when you typed that...

Edited by Rupert2
sorry for the rambling but I don't like it when people attack micros just because THEY don't like them. Some of us can't always be out hiking in the woods(even though I love too) My kids can't always go on 6 mile hikes and sometimes believe it or not they like to find micros too. Especially ones in holllowed out rats.

Mine has to be BOB

I can easily empathise with that. My wife is NOT an outdoors person. To get her to go on anything higher than terrain 1.5 stars is an emmense challenge. Also, she is not able to walk long distances to a cache. It seems that the only consistent set of caches that I can get her to visit is microcaches in urban settings and in cemeteries.

I like to go geocaching with my wife as it is a way of spending time together that doesn't involve staying home or spending money at a restaurant or department store. If these types of caches were to disappear, I would have to forego this activity with her, which would be a shame.

Regarding bikinibottomfeeders' question and comment, I can't really think of what would be my favourite, although I've seen some fairly good ones in my adventures, including one in a rodent's skull! I am wanting to hit some BoB caches sometime, partially to write an article on them in Cacheopedia. <_<

Thinking about it, I suppose that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally can't stand caches being placed in raw sewage at treatment plants, even with explicit permission, but I'l defend someone's right to place them. :o (Also known as what if Voltaire was a geocacher.)

We will have to get the ACLU attorneys on that right away. <_<

That's just grose! There used to be a cache that involved following Pouge's (sic?) Run under Indianapolis to where it comes back from underground to dump into White River. Never got a chance to do this one myself before it was archived due to muggles. It was supposed to be a mile hike underground underneath Indianapolis. Anybody here get to do that one?

Edited by jaypit
That's just grose!  There used to be a cache that involved following Pouge's (sic?) Run under Indianapolis to where it comes back from underground to dump into White River.  Never got a chance to do this one myself before it was archived due to muggles.  It was supposed to be a mile hike underground underneath Indianapolis.  Anybody here get to do that one?

That is phenominally scary that such a cache even existed. From my avtar one can decuce that I do my fair share of confined space work (walking pipes). I have even walked sections of Pogues. That is phenominally dangerous even with the correct equipment, not to mention training. OSHA would fine me $250,000 for not having a gas meter with me. I cannot believe someone would prusure a cache down there or that Groundspeak would allow it! Did you know the AIDS virus is viable for up to 48 hours in wastewater? YIKES :rolleyes:

My avtar is me walking a pipe in Hammond. I WAS NOT LOOKING FOR A CACHE! Stay away from sewers (storm or sanitary). They are INCREDIBLY dangerous, regardless of how large or small they may be.

Edited by Rupert2
That is phenominally scary that such a cache even existed. From my avtar one can decuce that I do my fair share of confined space work (walking pipes). I have even walked sections of Pogues. That is phenominally dangerous even with the correct equipment, not to mention training. OSHA would fine me $250,000 for not having a gas meter with me. I cannot believe someone would prusure a cache down there or that Groundspeak would allow it! Did you know the AIDS virus is viable for up to 48 hours in wastewater? YIKES :laughing:

OK, maybe I won't defend them THAT much. :unsure:

That is phenominally scary that such a cache even existed... 

(snip) 

It didn't really...at least not as rumored here.

It was mine. Read my cache description. About 2 weeks after I archived it, The City of Indianapolis announced they had hired an artist ($15,000?) to place a "Blue Line" made out of road-stripe tape over the exact path of the Pogues Run "Box". Since it will only last about 5 years, he is also placing 5" brass Benchmarks into the ground every few hundred feet. An "interesting" city art/history project.

Pogues Run Challenge

My apologies, I forgot to mention Muirwoody did advise against walking the underground river but instead use research to find the end of the run. Sorry Muirwoody, I WAS a little misleading, just wondering if anyone had made the underground hike. :blink:

I've seen that blue line and wondered what it was. One day a few months ago I was doing buisness at a location whose parking lot was crossed by this blue line. The security guard told me about the very expensive city art project. Amazing!

Edited by jaypit

I'm pretty sure where the end game was located, I'm working very close to the location. Can we say, very urban?!

Maybe the cache can be revitalized by involving the blue line? The furthest easterly location I've seen it is at New York St. just east of the I70/I65 overpass.

Edited by jaypit
<snip>

Mine has to be BOB

In case you don't know what that means click here

I'd have to say that my favorite micro so far is Shelter II. IMM did a great job.

I truly enjoy caches outside urban areas, but when you live in/around an urban area it only makes sense to tweek the game to fit the environment.

<snip>

There there is also 4damfam's "it's all about the numbers" series.  Yes I did one yesterday in a shameful attmept to get to 399 before next weekend (APE cache run).  He has an excellent sense of humor about the whole thing, so I did not feel bad about it. :ph34r:

<snip>

I think it all just depends on what side of the coin your looking at. Either way, it's still just a coin. <_<

There are no rules as to how easy/difficult a cache must be. People like diversty. There are no rules as to how a cache must be hidden. Again, people like diversty. There are no rules that state geocaching is all about the find. Some people just don't like the find as much as they like racking up the numbers.

In my humble opinion, let everyone play the way they want to play. I have no right to force my personal rules on others. I just want everyone to have fun caching and to enjoy the game...however they want to play it.

<interjection of personal insight> For me it's not about the numbers. Yes, I WILL hit the easy ones. I WILL do the light pole caches. I WILL rack up the numbers. But for me, there is nothing more sweet than the satisification of a truly difficult find without outside help. Finds like Shelter II are what keep me coming back for more.

Now, I just need to find the time to get Totall Insanity!!

Now, I just need to find the time to get Totall Insanity!!

Yeah Right....Time is ALL you will need...<_<

along with a Parks Dept disguise, microscope, rake, trash bag, knee pads, tweezers, Ibuprofin

(for the resulting backache), token bribes for the Park bums (rumored to be former cachers who have "lost it all" looking for this cache), and $$$ for the Liquior Store across the street (Trust Me - after spending months looking for this cache, this place starts to look awfully inviting.

:ph34r: BTW - Let me know how the TIME thing works for ya...

Diana

Bean Blossom Gang

PS 4damFam Congrats on #1000 - Hope you can join us Saturday at the Trail Mix?

Edited by Bean Blossom Gang

Thanks Bean Blossom Gang. I plan to be there and as long as the weather stays mild (not too cold), the rest of the family will be there too. The TrailMix sounds like quite a bit fun.

Don't worry about Total Insanity. You'll see my smilie posted once I get some TIME to get down there. :huh:

The TrailMix is ready to rock. I have had the ChocoMilk fermenting for about a week now and the PopTarts browning over an open fire for a few days. Ummmm. See you guys Saturday. BeanBlossom are you still going to replace the ammo boxes with teeny tiny micros?

Deermark

Deermark,

I hope that you remember that we're on a different time zone up here...so don't go leaving early! :unsure:

BeanBlossom are you still going to replace the ammo boxes with teeny tiny micros?

Deermark

Why Sure I can....I thought I'd ask Prairiepartners if I could borrow some of the containers they used for TOTAL INSANITY :D:D

OR MAYBE the famous "hollowed out acorn cache"

:D:D:D:DB):D

Regarding the time zone thing, I think our two universes are convergent until about April, then after that who knows...

Edited by Bean Blossom Gang
The TrailMix is ready to rock. I have had the ChocoMilk fermenting for about a week now and the PopTarts browning over an open fire for a few days. Ummmm. See you guys Saturday. BeanBlossom are you still going to replace the ammo boxes with teeny tiny micros?

Deermark

Deermark,

I hope that you remember that we're on a different time zone up here...so don't go leaving early! :D

Think we are on same time zone now for rest of winter!

There is a link to my Bookmark List for Morgan Monroe State Forest Caches on the event page for Trail Mix

These are all the caches within the Main Forest Area and the Rock Shelter Trail so if anyone wants to download coords its all right there. The Woman in Black Cache has been reactivated and there should be two or three new caches placed just in time for the event, I will update the bookmark list as soon as these caches are activated.

See everyone Saturday, RAIN OR SHINE!!!!!

Diana

Bean Blossom Gang

Don't forget my little cache during the Morgan/Monroe event. Crossing Into Yellowwood is just a few steps outside the MMSF on Gorley Ridge. That reminds me, there is also Gorley Ridge Cache on the same ridge. Both are East of Low Gap Road, which might be outside of your search area? Wish I could join you, but I'll be working. :D

Don't forget my little cache during the Morgan/Monroe event. Crossing Into Yellowwood is just a few steps outside the MMSF on Gorley Ridge. That reminds me, there is also Gorley Ridge Cache on the same ridge. Both are East of Low Gap Road, which might be outside of your search area? Wish I could join you, but I'll be working. :D

you ought to reactivate your valley seen cache... i'm sure it'd get some traffic this weekend if you did..

Due to popular demand, "Valley Seen" has been un-archived. Thank you Mountain Climber. It's on the same ridge system as "Crossing into Yellowwood", just not the same ridge. I've already said too much, now go get 'em guys! I'll be thinking of you while I'm slaving away at the salt mines. :unsure::(

Hope you all have a great time at the Trail Mix...

My youngest son is going to the regional competitions (high school theatre production). He has a part that he really wanted in "What I Did Last Summer"

No mixing with great people on the trail for me....Good parenting and all that....Someone else will have to fall in the creek this year!

Neos2

My youngest son is going to the regional competitions (high school theatre production). He has a part that he really wanted in "What I Did Last Summer"

No mixing with great people on the trail for me....Good parenting and all that....Someone else will have to fall in the creek this year!

Neos2

I'll do it for you!

Neos2

I'll do it for you!

I don't remember anyone falling in the creek, but there were a few who fell over logs... :P

Neos2

I'll do it for you!

I don't remember anyone falling in the creek, but there were a few who fell over logs... :P

AND in the parking lot while Deermark was taking the group picture.

Who knew... FTF meant ... First to Fall?!! :unsure:

WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!!!!

I was at the tail end of the "Cache Train" as it chugged on down the trail, I got to sit back and watch, even at the tail end the trail was pretty decent and not overly yucky except in just a few low spots. The creek was about mid level (I have seen it higher) but not bad.

All in All "IT WAS A GREAT DAY FOR GEOCACHING AT MORGAN MONROE STATE FOREST".

Thanks for offering to take on my creek task, {LoS}-Xile!

Glad everyone had a good time, and that it turned out to be a nice day for the trip. I can hardly wait for Derrmark to post his photo.

On the home front...the boy did a great job in the play--the kids all did-- and the kids are all hoping that they will be invited to the state level.

Thanks for offering to take on my creek task, {LoS}-Xile!

Glad everyone had a good time, and that it turned out to be a nice day for the trip. I can hardly wait for Derrmark to post his photo.

On the home front...the boy did a great job in the play--the kids all did-- and the kids are all hoping that they will be invited to the state level.

Reports of me falling into creeks have been knon to be GREATLY exaggerrated

Sorry I failed to fall in the creek this time, but Ratler(lololoco) fell down in the valley, and Chuck took a little tumble over the aforementioned log.

All in all a good day.... fun fun fun fun... who's trail we going on next???