Indigo

IndiGo-Geo

Hey! I have an idea... Why doesn't the Steering comitee hold another Indianapolis event soon so that all the people that had already commited to go to the CINCO Inaugural can attend become members and then the whole issue of membership requirements can be moot?

as for the coin Once those new members are a part of IndiGO as well, they can be invited by the comitee to offer suggestions o nthe coin and perhaps we can truly have a State geocoin for 2006, instead of having two coins that make up the state..

Hmmm... That's an idea... Can we make two coins that fit together to make the shape of Indiana? except by regional groups i guess we'd need to make three right? 1 for southern Indiana, one for Lafayette and one for Ft. Wayne?

I'm just afraid if things Escalate here we're going to have a civil war...

indiana_flag.gif

Me personally, I would like to see something produced like maine where it is so cheap that everyone will buy extras so that some can be placed in caches or like delaware where enough coins are sold so that coins can be placed in caches. And can someone point me to the fourm for input on the 2006 indiana coin?

and as far as PP's comment earlier I think he was trying to say that he won't purposefully exclude any part of indiana on the indogo coin and that maybe what they pick out will be something that everyone in indiana can relate too.

I vote for a coin shaped like an ear of corn and on the back it could say there is more than corn in indiana...with an ammo can or something.

I like the state coins that are having fun with it and aren't being so formal i.e. tornado, peach maybe a special edition...yeah that's it....... :anitongue:

Me personally, I would like to see something produced like maine where it is so cheap that everyone will buy extras so that some can be placed in caches or like delaware where enough coins are sold so that coins can be placed in caches. And can someone point me to the fourm for input on the 2006 indiana coin?

and as far as PP's comment earlier I think he was trying to say that he won't purposefully exclude any part of indiana on the indogo coin and that maybe what they pick out will be something that everyone in indiana can relate too.

I vote for a coin shaped like an ear of corn  and on the back it could say there is more than corn in indiana...with an ammo can or something.

I like the state coins that are having fun with it and aren't being so formal i.e. tornado, peach maybe a special edition...yeah that's it....... :anitongue:

I wonder which state made the screw?

Edited by Rupert2

I vote for a coin shaped like an ear of corn  and on the back it could say there is more than corn in indiana...with an ammo can or something.

I like the state coins that are having fun with it and aren't being so formal i.e. tornado, peach maybe a special edition...yeah that's it....... ;)

Those funny shaped ones do not fit in my coin pages very well. BBF...you are such a rebel!

I like the coins with the bikini bottoms... :anitongue:

;)

I vote for a coin shaped like an ear of corn and on the back it could say there is more than corn in indiana...with an ammo can or something.

I like the state coins that are having fun with it and aren't being so formal i.e. tornado, peach maybe a special edition...yeah that's it....... :)

OK Once they are ready to order I wil provibly order 20 of each if the price is right. I just wish I oculld find a BBF coin I hear that they are nice but I just wish I could find one. :)

Thanks BBF because that is what I was refering to.

Will talk with Rupert2 on their plans, as we had no idea there was any talk on that end for something coming out.

Keep discussions coming, but please keep them all nice and polite. Everything is being read and heard.

It looks like the TrailMix is going over really well. If it works out I would like to see it held either monthly or every other month. I will be glad to host some but the ideal thing will be to have a different cacher host each one in a different part of our area. Bean Blossom Gang has already claimed Feb or March. I definitely want to host another one in the Clark State Forest in Henryville. There is about 20 caches along the Shaw Lake Trail.

Want do you guys think?

Deermark

If you go to Salt Lake and drive 2000 miles over nine days, you can get 170 caches and UT, AZ, NV, and ID. Although you may drive 160 miles out of the way and see none of the Grand Canyon (Dang Snow).

Young Deermark....HA HA

Hey Pam, Percocet are wonderful pills. They take care of the pain.

And that was not a wolf....it was a furry ferret!!

I am liking the Trail Mix idea better and better all the time---I can vouch for the great comeraderie during the Last Trip to Rose Island. The real hikers really did take it easy on us non-hikers, just as promised. There were chances to go off to try a bit more challenging cache, or opportunities to stop and minute and catch you breath, whichever was need most at the momemt. I made great friends, tested myself a couple of times, laughed, learned things, and generally had a great time. I will never forget that day. If the monthly/semi-monthly ones are half as fun, I will try to make them as often as I can.

Beffums and JAPTKD, I hope you are able to join the gang on a Trail Mix soon.

(N1 and I had the pleasure of caching with Beffums and JAPTKD after the fourth IndiGO 'organization opener' event and let me tell you, they have a good eye for finding caches--You guys just have to spend some time with them!).

JAPTKD and I think the monthly (ish) TrailMix idea is a great idea as well. talking with Team Neos at the Evansville event, the Rose Island hike sounded like a lot of fun! Plus, Most of my weekends are free, and it's always sooo hard to twist JAPTKD's arm into going caching. (I must point out that *he* was the one to e-mail me today with "hey, wanna go to Louisville this weekend and get some caches? there's lots of empty hotel rooms...") <_<:mad:

Unfortunately, we've only lived in Indiana for a few months, so we don't know where many cool hiking trails are. Guess we'll have to wait and just follow wherever y'all pick out to go for a bit at least. BUT, if you ever decide to do a long trip and wanna do hiking in the mountains of Southwest Virginia or Northwest Pennsylvania, ... :D

OK. Wait a minute Newbies, 4Hrbos, found White Cloud and they said it was easy. I have been there twice. Once alone and once with others and still don't have a find. Darn Newbies. I wonder if they would take me there and do the hot and cold thing. Ummm.

Deermark

Deermark:

It's been moved since you were there and should be much easier now, although I'm not sure if Lumberjack Tom would agree. HeHe. He wanted me to give a better hint, but since 4harbos thought it was easy, I think I'll leave it as is. . .

Of course, it's probably also much easier to find in the daytime!!! <_<

*Daphne*

For those of you who have met DreadPirateRoberts (he was at the Evansville event with Pirate in Training), kudos are in order. He went over 100 caches on December 5th with the 5/5 at Captain McHarry's Vault. (and Pirate in training is up to 16 already!)

Of course, he then went on a caching spree in Owensboro, so he's up around 120 now, but I didn't know how to use the forums before yesterday, so I couldn't post it before... :D<_<:mad:

Hi folks! Sorry we havent been around for a while... I just woke up and found out it is almost Christmas! I must have been off the planet for the past month or so! :mad:

I think this IndiGo deal is pretty cool. Thanx to Jim, Lyn & Gary for putting this deal together for us. We missed all of the kick-off events but will attend one as soon as we can.

I see a group of brave soul's went out and attacked the 5/5 at Captain McHarry's Vault last Sunday. That is a real cool place, I am glad to see a cache there.

I think I will run out and do that one myself sometime this week! <_<

see ya, jeff'

Well, I don't really know where to start after spending a couple hours reading through this thread.

So, I'll just say "Sounds Great." See how easy I am! Actually that's my way to try and stay neutral and non-offensive. However, WilliamsFamGC will probably just respond indicating how "offensive" I really am...but that's just because he's jealous that he can't find Shelter II!! hehe

Hopefully I'll be able to convince Mrs. 4damFam that I NEED to attend the TrailMix...as well as some of the other activities being planned. :mad:

Oh, to any of those that have talked (or thought) about carpooling to events. I live on the NE side of Indy and would be happy to assist in carpooling. Well, if the whole family goes (which we usually do), then seating is limited to the first person that asks. If not, then I can take a few more. :D

Pam, I pray that you have a speedy recovery. Please thank your son for his service to our nation. He's a hero to us all. God bless our troops...and our nation, especially during this holiday season.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all! <_<

See the neat fall photo on the Indigo front page? That's mine. Oh yeah. I can do more than find caches. Well actually I dropped the camera and that was on it when I downloaded the photos.

Nice photo Deermark! I wondered who's it was when I stole it to put on the Frappr! map page. . . :mad:

I would've used the IndiGO logo, but it wasn't up on the the website yet.

BTW, I was wondering if anyone would ever say anything about my theivery, but I know Deermark is too nice to do anything like that.

*Daphne*

P.S. I added a shoutout to at least give Deermark credit for the photo. I'm not all bad. . . <_<

We really like the web site it looks great. Easy to find sections.

The indigo meeting was great hope to go to more. Had a lot of fun group caching.

Heard of a couple of plans for events coming soon. Can't wait

We just did our first deep snow caching yesterday ,It was different. Only took 4 yrs.

Ok, so unless GE suddenly decides that JAPTKD needs to work this weekend, we're planning on running down to Louisville Friday night, getting a hotel room, and staying til Sunday when either it's too dark to cache, or we just get too worn out. Team Neos said they might be around, but if anyone else is in the area and wants to hit some caches Saturday or Sunday, let us know.

(JAPTKD has this goal of going to his family for Christmas, and getting to gloat to JASMOM, JASPOP, Thingfinders, and Green_Eyed_Lady that we have more caches than the rest of them combined. sigh. my husband is just soooo mature...) :blink::blink::blink::lol:

(JAPTKD has this goal of going to his family for Christmas, and getting to gloat to JASMOM, JASPOP, Thingfinders, and Green_Eyed_Lady that we have more caches than the rest of them combined.  sigh.  my husband is just soooo mature...)  :)  :)  :D  :D

At least I'm not the one with a caching dance! :) Indigo and trailmix both sound like a blast. I know we had a really good time at the inaugural Indigo meeting in Evansville. Now if I can just manage to get me and Beffums over 200 this weekend! Anyone know of a good cache for a milestone in or around Louisville?

(JAPTKD has this goal of going to his family for Christmas, and getting to gloat to JASMOM, JASPOP, Thingfinders, and Green_Eyed_Lady that we have more caches than the rest of them combined.  sigh.  my husband is just soooo mature...)  :)  :)  :D  :D

At least I'm not the one with a caching dance! :) Indigo and trailmix both sound like a blast. I know we had a really good time at the inaugural Indigo meeting in Evansville. Now if I can just manage to get me and Beffums over 200 this weekend! Anyone know of a good cache for a milestone in or around Louisville?

Patch Reef Beach would be a good milestone...but I doubt you'll be able to get to it at this time of year. It's a great cache to put on your wish list, if you can't get to it now.

Patch Reef Beach would be a good milestone...but I doubt you'll be able to get to it at this time of year. It's a great cache to put on your wish list, if you can't get to it now.

wow - ok, I'm thinking swimming the river in December might be a bit excessive, but suddenly I have a hunch I know what we'll be doing next spring or summer...

Patch Reef Beach is gone for the winter. It will probably be mid-summer before it can be reached again. I know because I watched it everyday for 10 months waiting to go get it. Sure was tough passing within 1/2 mile of the cache every work day and not being able to go for it. I'll post a note when the gates are closed and the water is down.

Deermark

Hey Deermark, what do you think about suggesting Daggy's evil little Poppy's Park for their 200? It's pretty difficult, I thought it would be fun to watch them try to find it anyway.

Or the old cache near the Falls (the one that Jeff and Dana have adopted?). Not hard to get to but it's one of the oldest in Indiana.

Or the original Geo-Woodstock? (I haven't done that one yet--would it be good?)

japtkd & beffums--what are you looking for in a 200th---difficulty? bragging rights? history? unique container? good laugh?

I can think of examples of each.

Neos2

Personally I like the old ones. The one at the Falls of the Ohio is in the third oldest active cache in the state. Daggy's is a good one also. It is pretty devious especially if you haven't seen one like it before. Last time I was there it was around midnight and I was with a group from Nashville, TN. As they were searching a cop pulls up . You know the routine. Anyway it was a friend of mine and I still don't think he was too sure about us.

OK to answer the question, I would do the one at the Falls of the Ohio for the 200th.

Deermark

Thanks for the input Deermark. I think an old cache would be cool for our 200th. BTW, we may try to make it to your place tonight for the INKY get together. Only problem is it's a 2 hour drive, I'll be doing good to get home by 5 and we're on CST. So we may be a little bit late :unsure:

Better late than never. Daggy and I look forward to you guys dripping by. Hope there is some wine left. Maybe I'll save you a chug. See you tonight.

Deermark

well, apparently JAPTKD managed to skip out of work a bit early and is on his way home now. Of course, still have to finish packing, get the car loaded, and get going... but, we should make it in time to swing by. Directions seem simple, so hopefully we'll see everyone between 7 and 8.

For those of you who have met DreadPirateRoberts (he was at the Evansville event with Pirate in Training), kudos are in order.  He went over 100 caches on December 5th with the 5/5 at Captain McHarry's Vault.  (and Pirate in training is up to 16 already!)

Thanks... 100 finds doesn't seem like much with so many great longtime cachers in the area--I enjoyed meeting several of you at the Evansville event. My brother Mark (FrankVegas) and I were going to do that cache together for #100 for both of us, but he didn't make it to 99 in time, so it was #76 or so for him.

Of course, he then went on a caching spree in Owensboro

I must admit, after climbing up to The Oolitic Limestone Cache (GC9BA0) and also tackling Captain McHarry's Vault shortly afterwards, FrankVegas and I looked at each other and both agreed that we were ready for some urban caching! (I never thought I would be happy to be hunting lamp post micros). :anibad:

And, totally unrelated but slightly funny, if you're wondering why someone named Mark has a username of "FrankVegas", it derives from the town in Kentucky where we grew up, Franklin. It sits on I-65 right on the Tennessee border. There's no lottery in Tennessee (or at least there didn't used to be), so there's a little strip of lotto stores in Franklin close to the state line where all of the Tennessee residents come up to buy lottery tickets. Many Tennesseans know about tiny little Franklin just because of that. Mark's wife thought this was pretty silly and gave Franklin the nickname "FrankVegas", and it stuck.

Deermark and Daggy - thanks for inviting us over on Friday night. We had a great time getting to know other cachers.

We've finally made it back home, after a fairly suscessful foray across the state. Nothing like Doobies caching runs, but really good by our standards. You guys have some really cool hides on your side of the state. It's interesting caching in different areas, because while some things seem to hold true everywhere, other things seem to change area to area. We had a great time running around, and picked up a lot of new caching skills from Team Neos. ;)

JAPTKD and I wanted to send out a BIG Thankyou to Team Neos. They put up with us getting up at 7 in the morning; with us taking forever to find each cache; with my tendencies to check out every single item in anything that wasn't a micro... We had a blast hitting the area, and ended up having a better time even than we had hoped for. Thanks again for the great weekend!

:blink:;):D;):D

<snip>

And, totally unrelated but slightly funny, if you're wondering why someone named Mark has a username of "FrankVegas", it derives from the town in Kentucky where we grew up, Franklin. It sits on I-65 right on the Tennessee border. There's no lottery in Tennessee (or at least there didn't used to be), so there's a little strip of lotto stores in Franklin close to the state line where all of the Tennessee residents come up to buy lottery tickets. Many Tennesseans know about tiny little Franklin just because of that. Mark's wife thought this was pretty silly and gave Franklin the nickname "FrankVegas", and it stuck.

That's too cool about the nickname FrankVegas. My wife's parents live in Franklin, but I've never heard it called that!

The Tennessee localities south of Franklin still have no lotteries, so there is still a lot of traffic along 'lottery row' near the KY/TN border. There is also some reciprocity of commerce between KY and TN; as Franklin is (still) in a dry county, so weekends find a lot of Tennesseans coming North for lotto, while Kentuckians are driving south for booze!

However, I have learned my lesson. Never again will I be gouged $20 a case for beer that I can buy for $12 in Bowling Green. It's about the same distance in either direction, so I will choose to save ~$8!

JAPTKD and Beffums Thanks for all the kind words. You guys are quite welcome. It was our pleasure. You put up with our slow start in the morning, our sniggering and laughter, our war stories, and occasional inability to navigate in our own home town. We were also very glad to be able to do for someone else what has been done for us so many times. As for what you may have learned from us, know that we learned much of it from some of the best people in the game, many of whom were present Friday night. We're looking forward to your returning the favor in the future. Team Neos

Edited by Team Neos

Okay, so it took me a while to post my thanks to all the great Louisville cachers for a great weekend. My POS comp took a bit to get going and Beffums is much faster at logging caches than I am. Special thanks to Deermark, Daggy, and Doobies for Friday night. It was a blast. Team Neos were great guides around all the caches and even got a few for themselves. Awesome time! :):lol:

Edited by japtkd