Indigo

IndiGo-Geo

Good Morning this is Pam of Prairiepartners. Just wanted to wish everybody a Happy Holiday. I just got news that my son Jason will be returning home from Iraq Tuesday the 13th of this month. I want all of us to remember all our men and women in the military. Especially at this time of the year when they are far away from their family's and loved ones. I am getting my Christmas wish and that is for my son to be home for Christmas!!! Thanks to all our friends and extended family in geocaching: Deermark & Daggy, Six Dog, and my little buddy Patrick, Indotguy, Shydog, BBF, Rupert, Indy Diver, RPW, Los Exile and everyone else. Looking forward to next year and getting together for lots of caching excursions and with my new hip and my new knee hopefully I can do alot more. God Bless each and everyone. Thank you for all that said prayers for a safe return of my son, and lets continue to pray for our troops.

Pam (Mrs. Prairiepartner)

Edited by Prairiepartners

Pam, be sure and tell Jason, that most Americans realize that the job he and his buddies are doing is essential in saving the planet from Terrorism.

Our prayers are with you for a speedy and complete recovery following your surgery.

And we are considering going on the Rock Trail Mix, it's only 117 miles as the buzzard flies, if weather is nice and roads clear, but only if Jim Prairie is not setting the pace--his usual nine-mile-per-hour stroll. Can people attend the event without having to join Indigo? Where will the details of the Mix be posted, time to meet, estimated length of hike in terms of miles and hours etc.etc.etc.?

Anybody want to car pool to go to this?

GO COLTS!! :unsure:

. Can people attend the event without having to join Indigo? Where will the details of the Mix be posted, time to meet, estimated length of hike in terms of miles and hours etc.etc.etc.?

Anyone and everyone that wants to go is welcome!!

And even if this is not a posted event, this will give you another chance to join IndiGo. This will be a great opportunity to join in on some fun caching and some not too tough of a hike. Think this trail is only a few miles with only one hill to go down and go up. Pace will be very easy and taken at your own pace. No race here..LOL..

Hope to see lots of people and have fun caching together!!

There are several other caches nearby so plenty of caching can be done.

Pam and Jim you are always in my prayers as you know.

The reason I don't get in the forums much is because I get misunderstood a lot.

My strange sense of humor may make some people mad but I have never meant to say anything bad about anyone.

So for now on I will keep my typing fingers to myself.

It's my intentions to only promote Geocaching and good intentions not to ruffle feathers or fur.

I plan on going to the event in Morgan Monroe. The last time I was in the area with this gang we did a 14 mile day in 7 inches of snow. And yes Mark I did see a wolf while hiking to Sarah Patton. :unsure:

Have a good day and Happy Holidays to all.

Cache On!

Indy Diver

Edited by Indy Diver
"Your still a whippersnapper to me.\ "

Must the name-calling continue? :D

Actually, Stinky-Dog is right, for once. The term "Whippersnapper" doesn't particularly mean a young person, altho the majority of whippersnappers ARE young. It simply means a small, :unsure: insignificant person, and it's not nice to call someone that... Our bad.

The first Indigo TrailMix will be Sat Jan. 7 at Morgan-Monroe State Forestry. We will be doing the Rock Shelter Trail and it's 8 caches. These were placed by the Bean Blossom Gang and they are all great hides. Check out GCQZTX for the parking cords.

Deermark

Foiled again! :laughing:

January 7 is the CINCO run to the project APE cache.

The first Indigo TrailMix will be Sat Jan. 7 at Morgan-Monroe State Forestry. We will be doing the Rock Shelter Trail and it's 8 caches. These were placed by the Bean Blossom Gang and they are all great hides. Check out GCQZTX for the parking cords.

Deermark

The Trailmix at Morgan/Monroe sounds like a great time. I will plan on it!

Best wishes to Pam, the better half of the the Prairiepartners team, on your knee surgery. Get better SOON!

Deermark

I just got off the phone with Deermark and we are going to change the date for the TrailMix to Jan 14th so that it doesn't conflict with another Indiana event. He wanted me to post this change for him as he wasn't going to be home for a few hours.

Best of luck to Pam for a quick recovery. We will be thinking of you.

Thank you for rescheduling the trail mix hike. The run to the Ape cache is really just a group of use making a roadtrip. Not really an event or anything. But I do appreciate it. I think the Trail Mix program looks fun and hope I can make this one. I enjoyed a hike in a snowstorm last year with a group led by CYbret and had a blast. I will keeep a heads up for details.

Thanks again,

Chris-Team Shydog

Hi All!!

I have been on vacation for the last week or so, then the usually December rush of school programs, music recitals, and other assorted KID stuff. Spent the last week out in Vegas, and the southern part of Nevada, Arizona, California...added a few caches to my total.

I was SO EXCITED to read about the new TRAIL MIX adventures, sounds like my kind of hike...so emailed Daggy & Deermark...

Imagine my surprise to learn that they planned to go to Morgan Monroe State Forest and the caches we set on the ROCK SHELTER TRAIL :laughing:

We are looking forward to seeing many new faces at this event, MMSF has a trail for everyone...the Kid's Caches on the Mason Ridge Trail are easily accessible to those who don't do big hills or longer distances. Given the multiple trail options you can hike/cache any combination of up to about 16+ miles

I have a bookmark list for MMSF, that I will make public as soon as I double check it.

Looking forward to the 14th....See you all there!

Hi All!!

I have been on vacation for the last week or so, then the usually December rush of school programs, music recitals, and other assorted KID stuff. Spent the last week out in Vegas, and the southern part of Nevada, Arizona, California...added a few caches to my total.

I was SO EXCITED to read about the new TRAIL MIX adventures, sounds like my kind of hike...so emailed Daggy & Deermark...

Imagine my surprise to learn that they planned to go to Morgan Monroe State Forest and the caches we set on the ROCK SHELTER TRAIL :P

We are looking forward to seeing many new faces at this event, MMSF has a trail for everyone...the Kid's Caches on the Mason Ridge Trail are easily accessible to those who don't do big hills or longer distances. Given the multiple trail options you can hike/cache any combination of up to about 16+ miles

I have a bookmark list for MMSF, that I will make public as soon as I double check it.

OK Bean Blossom, how did you find the Sin City Micro? I was out there at the beginning of November and staying right across the street from there. I probably spent 3 hours or so looking for that one. ARGH!

OK if Neos2 goes and there is a creek we will need lots of safety equipment. Ropes, floaties and blankets. She has a rather troubled history around water. I will have to retell that sometime on the forums.

Deermark

Well Mark, I have a nice little story for you the next time I go to an IndiGO or INKY event... Let's just say that it involves me looking for geo-ca$h and a phone call to the police...

The complete info on the TrailMix will be posted on the Indigo website soon. I will also put them here so you guys can digest them.

I will be traveling about 100 miles as the road flies but hey you guys are worth the time on the road.

In regards to the photo, yes I was under arrest but it is surprising what a little pleading and begging will do for you. Besides I blamed it all on RockNRoll and Jim.

Deermark

I just got off the phone with Deermark and we are going to change the date for the TrailMix to Jan 14th so that it doesn't conflict with another Indiana event. He wanted me to post this change for him as he wasn't going to be home for a few hours.

That was a very nice gesture. Thank you. :P

Mrs. Car54

Wow, thanks for making that move. I hiked some of those trails in July, but not in the areas you are looking at. Hopefully Mrs. Rupert2 will let me get away with being out two Saturdays in a row. She is typically pretty acomodating about such things.

This is shaping up to be a great January...

J&K will be there too (I hope)?

Edited by Rupert2
Wow, thanks for making that move. I hiked some of those trails in July, but not in the areas you are looking at. Hopefully Mrs. Rupert2 will let me get away with being out two Saturdays in a row. She is typically pretty acomodating about such things.

This is shaping up to be a great January...

Indeed. As far as I can tell, there's an event in Indiana for every weekend. Besides the APE run and the TrailMix, there's an event up in South Bend that I'm planning to attend on the 21st. Then there's the CINCO Poker Run on the 28th, which a few IndiGO members are planning on attending.

As if that's not enough, there's InKy's event on 11 February. That leaves the weekend of 4 February open. That would be a great time for IndiGO to have an event, or perhaps someone else. Or perhaps we would need a break from each other. :P

Hi All!!

I have been on vacation for the last week or so, then the usually December rush of school programs, music recitals, and other assorted KID stuff.  Spent the last week out in Vegas, and the southern part of Nevada, Arizona, California...added a few caches to my total.

Imagine my surprise to learn that they planned to go to Morgan Monroe State Forest and the caches we set on the ROCK SHELTER TRAIL  :P

We are looking forward to seeing many new faces at this event, MMSF has a trail for everyone...the Kid's Caches on the Mason Ridge Trail are easily accessible to those who don't do big hills or longer distances.  Given the multiple trail options you can hike/cache any combination of up to about 16+ miles

OK Bean Blossom, how did you find the Sin City Micro? I was out there at the beginning of November and staying right across the street from there. I probably spent 3 hours or so looking for that one. ARGH!

Hey Rupert2-

Apparently the magnet in the Sin City Cache is very weak, it tends to slip and fall - we found it about a level and a half below where it SHOULD have been. A local is supposed to be replacing the magnet soon. As for the rest of the trip, I had about 10 virtuals on "the Strip" flagged to do, and can you believe after walking a mile down to the first one - DH left the camera in the hotel room?! :rolleyes: So we chucked the virtuals for the day, will have to get them next year.

BTW- There is a fantastic desert virtual south of Vegas on a desert dirt road called Christmas Tree Pass, "Crapped Out, I'm going caching" takes you to the base of Spirit Mountain and fantastic indian petroglyphs - the kids loved it, took my eyes off of them for half a minute and they were half way up the side of the mountain.

We had a really great time - we go every year about the last week of Nov-first week of Dec - my daughters (13, 15, 17) competed in AAU World Powerlifting Championships at Laughlin, they won 16 gold medals (awards are base on weight and division) set I don't know how many World Records and the youngest SARAH won "Best Teen Lifter" for the meet. She is 13, weighs 117, her Deadlift was 214 and Bench Press was around 135.

If you go to Laughlin, you can hit three states in one day (NV, CA, AZ) Hope you can find SinCity Micro next year :lol:

At the recommendation of DHobby1 and CachuNuts I flew in a day early (on a business trip) and headed off to St. George UT. I hit both the St. George Overlook at the Temple Quarry caches which were well worth the trip alone.

I hit four states within 24 hours (UT, AZ, NV, CA). Ironically I did not log a single find within Las Vegas itself (not that I did not try).

THe Sin City Micro was difficult to even look for without drawing attention to yourself and even more difficult to keep lock on four satelietes. I guess I feel much better that you found it a couple levels lower than it was supposed to be.

I cannot wait to go back to that area. Wonderful caching territory.

Powerlifting? How cool is that! :lol: I was there for a concrete pipe conference. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rupert2
Anyone with any suggestions on the 2006 IndiGo (Indiana) Geocoin please feel free to post here or email me.

I really want to get this going so we can have these early in 2006.

Let's get this rolling!!! Come artistic people out there!

I've already sent some artwork to coin company to get things started.

I have a question - this proposal is a bit ambiguous in its wording; are you meaning that the IndiGO coin would represent the ENTIRETY of the Indiana Caching community, or is this a specific coin only for the IndiGO group?

THe Sin City Micro was difficult to even look for without drawing attention to yourself and even more difficult to keep lock on four satelietes. I guess I feel much better that you found it a couple levels lower than it was supposed to be.

I cannot wait to go back to that area. Wonderful caching territory.

Powerlifting? How cool is that! :D I was there for a concrete pipe conference. :P

"Concrete Pipe Convention" B) Some people will do anything for a trip to Vegas :rolleyes:

We did pick up a few hand rolled cigars at Don Pablo's B) they probably light easier than those Concrete Pipes. :lol:

The security is SO TIGHT in Vegas all the Strip Caches are Virtuals, except the Sin City Micro (which technically isn't really ON the Strip). I really want to do the Webcache at the four corners by the Tropicana and Excalibur...Maybe next trip.

Another note to all:

Pam of Prairiepartners will be going to have her total knee replacement surgery tomorrow Dec.12th at 7:00 am in Moorseville Knee and Hip Center. Let's all wish her a complete and fast recovery. Hope to get her back on the hiking trails by this summer!

Did they postpone it? I thought Jason (son) was coming back from Iraq tomorrow, and the surgery was today? OH WELL...I still have jetlag...hopefully Jim will let us know how everything went.

Anyone with any suggestions on the 2006 IndiGo (Indiana) Geocoin please feel free to post here or email me.

I have a question - this proposal is a bit ambiguous in its wording; are you meaning that the IndiGO coin would represent the ENTIRETY of the Indiana Caching community, or is this a specific coin only for the IndiGO group?

We are hoping for a coin that would represent both!

OK if Neos2 goes and there is a creek we will need lots of safety equipment. Ropes, floaties and blankets. She has a rather troubled history around water. I will have to retell that sometime on the forums.

Deermark

Whatever do you mean? I found the water just fine, thank you!

hmm, i'm remembering a story... :anitongue:

As long as JAPTKD doesn't have to work, we'll try to make the trailmix on the 14th

We are hoping for a coin that would represent both!

Are Rupert2 and TecMage not interested in doing the 2006 coin, then? They did an excellent job on the 2005 coin with (I thought) every intention of doing another one for 2006. I was really looking forward to getting one of theirs for 2006. :anitongue:

And...to be honest, if your coin is supposed to be "the" Indiana Geocoin for 2006, don't you think it'd be better to represent ALL of the Indiana Geocachers, not just the "IndiGo" cachers? I don't see any mention of any of the other groups on it at all.

Perhaps you could at least change the wording on it from "IndiGo" to "Indiana Geocachers" or something.

And...to be honest, if your coin is supposed to be "the" Indiana Geocoin for 2006, don't you think it'd be better to represent ALL of the Indiana Geocachers, not just the "IndiGo" cachers? I don't see any mention of any of the other groups on it at all.

Perhaps you could at least change the wording on it from "IndiGo" to "Indiana Geocachers" or something.

yeah it would have been nice if the 2005 coin had input from the southern indiana but it didn't. It turned out fine why can't someone from southern indiana do one for 2006? I do agree with you though that it shouldn't say indigo and try and represent the whole state. But the only thing on the 2005 coin that represented southern indiana was the pic of the state on the front. :anitongue:

Are Rupert2 and TecMage not interested in doing the 2006 coin, then? They did an excellent job on the 2005 coin with (I thought) every intention of doing another one for 2006. I was really looking forward to getting one of theirs for 2006. :anitongue:

We were also under the impression that Rupert2 was going to do a "2006" version of the "Indiana Geocachers" coin that came out for 2005 and that it would be an annual deal...

And...to be honest, if your coin is supposed to be "the" Indiana Geocoin for 2006, don't you think it'd be better to represent ALL of the Indiana Geocachers, not just the "IndiGo" cachers?  I don't see any mention of any of the other groups on it at all.

yeah it would have been nice if the 2005 coin had input from the southern indiana but it didn't. It turned out fine why can't someone from southern indiana do one for 2006? I do agree with you though that it shouldn't say indigo and try and represent the whole state. But the only thing on the 2005 coin that represented southern indiana was the pic of the state on the front. :anitongue:

Considering that the original thread that spawned the 2005 geocoin was basically started as a request for ANYONE to make a 2005 geocoin, and that the coin was designed basically by "committee" (everyone in that thread participated in the design, really) the fact that nobody from "southern Indiana" participated in the coin design was evidently by choice.

And, considering the fact that the obverse of the coin showed the outline of Indiana with the stars & torch, as shown on the Indiana flag, and the reverse of the coin showed a covered bridge:

de43dde1-e8f7-479b-9d56-5ef8be3605eb.jpg which is located in Turkey Run State Park, about halfway between the north & south ends of the state, and is an image that ALL of Indiana (not just one area) is well-known for. I think they did an excellent job of incorporating ALL the Indiana Geocachers and the ENTIRE state.

There wasn't SUPPOSED to be anything that "represented" any one area of the state - it was supposed to represent the WHOLE state and ALL the Indiana Geocachers.

I have no problem with "someone from southern Indiana" doing the next coin, but I think it would've been at least polite to check with Rupert2 and Team Tecmage to see what their plans were. It's rude to take an idea they had, of an ONGOING Indiana Geocoin design, and just basically announce that YOU will do it this time without even checking to see if they already had something worked up and were going ahead with their plans of making a 2006 coin.

I've met Rupert2 and I'm fairly certain he would be very nice about "sharing the load", so to speak.

Why not make yours the IndiGo coin? There's nothing wrong with that, and then it can have more images that represent the "southern half" of the state as you wish.

Edited by "Paws"itraction

And...to be honest, if your coin is supposed to be "the" Indiana Geocoin for 2006, don't you think it'd be better to represent ALL of the Indiana Geocachers, not just the "IndiGo" cachers?  I don't see any mention of any of the other groups on it at all.

Wow there are alot of questions here.

I do not want to put any words in the mouth of Team Tecmage, but will do my best to explain where I think we are going with it.

Yes there will be an Indiana 2006 coin. Yes I will be working on it with Team Tecmage. It is my intention to shoot for a gc.com trackable coin but $ will dictate that issue.

There is an entire thread out there about the Indiana Series and what we intended to with it. To reiterate that thread, our thought was that it is impossible for a single design (without being the outline of a state) to represent the entire state. We therefore took the approach that the series would end up representing the state over the course of a few years. We were going to keep the front of the coin (generic Indiana side) consistent from year to year, but change the back every year to connect a specific cache with a specific location/event/landmark/person located in different parts of the state. The Narrows Bridge was just the starting point. It will take a few years before we start to see all of Indiana in the series, but to try to do it all on one coin is impossible.

I would be happy to entertain ideas for the new back. Some concepts I have had floating around in my head include Indiana Dunes, Wabash & Eerie (or Whitewater) Canal, Johnny Appleseed and the Lewis and Clark expedition. You guys know your own localities better than I do so send me some ideas!

Again, I am making statements without the concurrence of Team Tecmage but I should not be too far off base.

As far as the Indigo coin is concerned, I do not know a lot other than there is a way-cool design floating around out there that Prairiepartners is working on. At this point I do not anticipate any conflicts or other problems. As a matter of fact, there may be an opportunity that will be mutually beneficial to both coins (will chat with PP about that).

Edited by Rupert2