City Select

Vlad

I have looked up several addresses including my own and some destinations around the country. The addresses I have looked up on CN is at least one block off (in varying directions)...is this typical?

I wouldn't say it's typical since most addresses that I've looked up have been very close to the indicated location; within one or two houses. But it is a fairly common problem that exists in all the mapping programs with which I'm familiar. The maps don't actually store the location of each separate address. To do so would require much more memory and in many cases the data isn't readily available anyway. Instead, they record the starting and ending locations for a block of addresses. E.g. the map may record that address 1000 is at this location and address 1600 is at that location further north on the street with even numbers on the west side and odds on the right. That works ok as long as the numbers are assigned at uniform distances along the street and the recorded rule is correct. But it can be off by quite a bit if the numbers are assigned with a non-uniform spacing (or if the rule is recorded incorrectly).

As to the CN vs. CS problem, I'd suggest you complain to Garmin and see if an exchange for CS would be possible. As you've noted the region sizes of CN are unacceptable for units like the VistaC, LegendC, Map60, and GPS V and are very detrimental for the 60c/cs models. Garmin needs to get that message loud and clear.

Brand New City Slect v7 = Blank disc :mad:

Been lurking here for a while. Really enjoy all of the info I get here.

Following the City Select thread I decided to plop down my hard earned money and purchace City Select v6 from Amazon with the free option of upgrading through Garmin.

Got my software today. They shipped V7!!

Put it in the DVD drive, drive strarts to blink and blink and nothing happens. I navigate to the drive in explorer and it says no disc!

edit update> Works in my work laptop.

Looks like I need a new DVD drive for the home puter!

Santa! <_<

Edited by Bigwaves

I am new here and found this site to be very informative. This is my first GPS and I was real excited about getting started using it. I just bought a Legend C and am now looking for mapping software. I was going to ask which I should buy. The City Select or Navigator. From reading it looks like my choice is made. I reallly don't want to buy Navigator for the memory issue.

I will try and pick up a copy online somewhere. <_<

I can't believe how much action this site gets. It is amazing!!!

I ordered a CN update disk on 11/24 by accident, then ordered the CS disk right after. Received the CN disk a few days ago, and did not receive the CS disk.

So I called up Garmin and they said the CS disks were on backorder and they would be receiving a batch this week and next, he said I would get the disk in one of those two shipments.

I really hope I get CS because I have a GPS V and I don't wan the larger map sizes.

On another note, although I purchased my GPS like 3 years ago, I never unlocked my v4.01 CS because it offered me nothing that my autorouteable metroguide v3 had, so I'm going to try to activate it when I get my V7 disk in the mail.

Will I have a problem? If I understand correctly I would then qualify for a free upgrade to V7 since I am just now activating v4.01 right?

An example I have noticed, is when coming to a roundabout, when using City Select, the prompt will tell me to take a right and another right when entering the roundabout and needing to take the first turn available.  Using City Navigator, the unit will tell me to take a right and then the first exit.  A little more detailed instruction without needing to look at the

I have to argue about the voice prompting using CS ver. 7 and a Quest

When coming to a roundabout the voice prompt is: enter roundabout, take first, second or third road.

They really need to create a version with dynamic map size capabilities.

Well, I'd argue that it already is dynamically sized, in that the user can select which and how much to download. But the small-sections are more dynamic (i.e., offer more versatility) than the large sections.

I don't really see any advantage in the large sectioned version (am I missing something?).

Well, I'd argue that it already is dynamically sized, in that the user can select which and how much to download. But the small-sections are more dynamic (i.e., offer more versatility) than the large sections.

I don't really see any advantage in the large sectioned version (am I missing something?).

The Garmin spin is this..

""Version 7 now includes larger map segments for easier map selection and downloading — so there's less chance you'll miss an area when planning your next trip!"

<_<

Brand New City Slect v7 = Blank disc <_<

Been lurking here for a while. Really enjoy all of the info I get here.

Following the City Select thread I decided to plop down my hard earned money and purchace City Select v6  from Amazon with the free option of upgrading through Garmin.

Got my software today.  They shipped V7

Put it in the DVD drive, drive strarts to blink and bling and nothing happens. I navigat to the drive in explorer and it says no disc!

Opened up my burning software to look at disc info. Shows empty. 4.xx gigs avaiable to record! BWAAAHH!

Opend up another disc utility, Same info!!!!

Going to try it in my work system tomorrow with an immediate call to Garmin (or Amazon, both)

This is surreal.

I had ordered CS V7 from Amazon, and they sent V6. I went through the returns process on amazon.com, and it was all straightened out immediately: they shipped a replacment V7 that same day, and gave me a pre-paid shipping label to return the unwanted V6. They sent it by rush shipping, so I actually had the replacement V7 in hand before I even got to the post office to return the other one.

I just got off the phone with Garmin. The person at Tech support told me the City Select will be phased out, probably next summer/fall on the schedule with their normal software releases. As far as the segment sizes on CN, they are going back the to smaller size like CS has now. According to him, the only differences between CN and CS was the way some routes are calculated. CN will sometimes chose what is deems to be a more efficient route. CN was developed to support the Streetpilot series and obviously it doesn't make sense to maintain to program that do the same thing. So they are doing away with CS. Again, for us handheld owners, they taking CN back to the smaller segment sizes. Upgrades on V8 will probably be about $50-75, I think he mentioned that they will offer the CN upgrade to current CS owners, not positive on that one.

I just got off the phone with Garmin. The person at Tech support told me the City Select will be phased out, probably next summer/fall on the schedule with their normal software releases. As far as the segment sizes on CN, they are going back the to smaller size like CS has now. According to him, the only differences between CN and CS was the way some routes are calculated. CN will sometimes chose what is deems to be a more efficient route. CN was developed to support the Streetpilot series and obviously it doesn't make sense to maintain to program that do the same thing. So they are doing away with CS. Again, for us handheld owners, they taking CN back to the smaller segment sizes. Upgrades on V8 will probably be about $50-75, I think he mentioned that they will offer the CN upgrade to current CS owners, not positive on that one.

Thanks for clearing this up! I was going to call garmin and ask about it but had not had time. I don't need to worry about it any more then I guess. I was just worried when people were saying they received CN instead of CS that they ordered!

CN has more detailed maps in terms of having directional codes or something. So if you have a bunch of 1 way streets I don't think CS has that information, where CN does.

I was thinking, a system where you select ONLY the area you want, and the map program would chop it up into the proper segment sizes. So you could forseably, gather map data only along your planned route if needed, and you would not need to download data that you do not need off in the boonies or something.

THAT WOULD ROCK

But I don't see this happening anytime soon.

The last few versions of MapSource includes a feature "Select Maps Around a Route". By right-clicking on a route, you can activate this feature. Any map segments that contain any portion of your route will automatically be selected. After that, I go back and select map segments where the route is dangerously close to a border area that is not selected (y' never know WHEN you're gonna need to stop). This is one of the better features contained in the latest updates.

You can also do the same with waypoints. If you have a bunch of waypoints scattered about, you can highlight them all at once, right-click and "Select Maps Around Waypoints". Like magic, any map segment containing a waypoint will be selected.

Why not just buy a GPS 18 Deluxe which comes with City Select as well as a GPS for a PC?  TigerGPS has the package for $109 and it can be had elsewhere for $119.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/

http://www.tigergps.com/gagps18sefor.html

Can the City Select software sold in this package be loaded into a GPSr? The website reads that it is fully unlocked, but is that for computer use only? I would appreciate any input from actual users of this product.

FYI: I ordered the GPS 18 from Provantage for $98 + shipping. The City Select (v6) unlocked fine and loaded into my Legend C with no problems. The only issue from buying CS separate is the GPS 18 counts as one of the two unlocks (whether or not it is used).

Now, if my free CS v7 upgrade comes I can see if it will work with no problems. Does anyone use the GPS 18? Not sure what to do with it...

I ordered City Select v6 from Amazon. I got v7 instead. Now I don't need the upgrade cd.

I had a problem though. It would not load on my desktop. It showed to be a blank disk. I put it in my laptop and it loaded fine.

Does anyone know why it is showing this new cd rom to be blank on my desktop?

The CS v7 disc is a DVD; does your desktop have a DVD drive? Sounds like that is likely your problem.

I know it has been quite a while since this thread was active but figured I'd share my experiences with CN v7 and the Legend C. Incidentally, I had ordered CS...but the vendor was told it was no longer able to be ordered. Upon receipt of the CN order, he actually got a box marked CS, but inside were discs labeled CN. The discs were all empty (set of 10). He had to reorder and the subsequent box marked CN did indeed have CN v7.

I did my drive from the Florida panhandle where I live up to the DC area taking different routes in each direction to do some wandering. The biggest pain was having to stop every time I hit either a new state or a new defined region so I could transfer the new map. There was perhaps 1 case at most where I could fit two maps but only if I left off routing data. On the way back, I passed through the one section I know of in the SE where the map could not even fit with routing data...exceeded the Legend C's 24 MB.

Aside from this major gripe, I really love the legend C. The map sections and the find function fall short of expectations, but everything else scores very high marks. I have thought several times about getting a different unit with more memory but do not want to expend more considering I already spent a fair sum including the map package. We'll see what the X series has...

The explorist series had tempted me if only for its SD capacity (I have a 512 MB SD card sitting on the shelf most of the time), but in terms of usability, particularly for a newbie as I am, I have simply not been able to find/see enough to convince me it would be better than the legend C or another in the Garmin series.

We found our first and second caches during the t-giving weekend (I still need to enter our finds) using the Legend...in fact, it was how we learned how to use the GPS and we really enjoyed it! We found our way into Marianna, FL's local newspaper, in fact, with our geocache hunt! :D

To summarize, I definitely do like the legend C, but strongly dislike its tiny memory limitation. I figure I'll most likely bide my time and eventually upgrade once a more suitable but comparable unit comes out at some future date. As for long road trips, I usually load only the ending map and keep the laptop plugged in with nRoute. It will be nice when I no longer have to use the laptop in the car for routing directions or frequent map transfers, but that time definitely isn't here yet with the Legend C if for no other reason than the disappearance of CS.

Ross