Log Type: Needs Archived

PeterNoG

Cache owners should have no reason to log "Needs Archived". If the cache owner thinks it should be archived, they should just "Archive (Show)" it (or just press "archive listing" from the cache page).

Some newbie owners get confused by having too many choices. "Needs Archived" should not be an available choice to a cache owner.

Yes, and I would also like to add that one of the reasons they do not use the "Archive (show)" option is because it says (show). Experienced folks know what it means, but newbees think it means show in PQ and show in nearest cahces, etc, etc. The idas of archiving a cache is for it not to be seen anymore.

In addition to the owner not seeing the SBA option, the Archive does not need to say (show).

Hardly a week goes by when I don't see at least one of these "should be archived" requests in my inbox. I shake my head and wonder how the cache owner manages to blow right through the warning message that pops up before submitting the log:

You are submitting a note that this listing should be archived. If you are the owner of this listing you can use the "archive" log type. Click "yes" to confirm.

At one time, your could "archive (hide)" and the cache would be archived but there would not be a log entry.

"archive(show)" means that you have to write something in the log when you archive it.

I agree with Moose Mob, "archive (show)" should just say "archive" or "archive listing"

Experienced folks know what it means, but newbees think it means show in PQ and show in nearest cahces, etc, etc.

I've never known what the (show) means. Still don't. Is there a different kind of archive which I'm not seeing?

Jamie

There used to be separate "archive (show)" and an "archive (no show)" log types. The "no show" option was used in the past for very rare situations when the cache page needed to be completely removed from the listings. That is accomplished now by "retracting" the publication of the cache.

I shake my head and wonder how the cache owner manages to blow right through the warning message that pops up before submitting the log:

You are submitting a note that this listing should be archived. If you are the owner of this listing you can use the "archive" log type. Click "yes" to confirm.

I would guess the biggest reason someone would blow through this warning is because the message is ambiguous. What am I being asked to confirm? Confirm that I am the owner or confirm that I want to proceed with the Needs Archived?

because the message is ambiguous.

What would you suggest as a better message?

That depends on the other choices. I know that one of the choices is "Yes". I don't know the others. "No"? "Cancel"? I guess I could try this with my own cache to find out but I'm afraid I'd screw something up.

If someone could post a screen cap of the warning or describe the response choices I would be happy to make a suggestion or two.

How about this (bold is my addition)

You are submitting a note that this listing should be archived. If you are the owner of this listing you can use the "archive" log type instead. Click "yes" to confirm the "archive" note. [Cancel] [Yes]

Edited by mini cacher

The text as it is now:

"You are submitting a note that this listing should be archived. If you are the owner of this listing you can use the "archive" log type. Click "yes" to confirm.[cancel] [yes]"

On the Mac, Apple's User Interface Guidelines (they have a whole book on the subject; it's online somewhere but I don't have the link) dictate that, when presenting a button that will perform an action, a verb should always be used in the button text. Use any program on a mac that is written according to these guidelines and you'll never see a button with "yes" or "no" but instead, the button will read something like, "don't save", "delete" or, "cancel". It really helps in ambiguous situations where you have to read the text carefully in order to figure out if you're being asked to "save your doccument?" (in which case yes means save) or, "quit without saving?" (in which case yes means don't save).

maybe the text sould be more clear if the button choices were "submit" and "cancel" rather than "yes" and "cancel" along with Mini cacher's addition of "instead" above.

(edit: pasted the wrong text)

Edited by DavidMac
maybe the text sould be more clear if the button choices were "submit" and "cancel" rather than "yes" and "cancel" along with Mini cacher's addition of "instead" above.

I've not seen this pop up myself but it sounds like a Javascript confirmaiton pop up. AFAIK, the button text is not easily modifed (if possible at all).

because the message is ambiguous.

What would you suggest as a better message?

"You are submitting a note that a listing you own should be archived. You should select archive listing on the web page instead.

Are you sure you want to proceed with this note?" [Yes] [No]

Let me explain:

"You are submitting a note that a listing you own should be archived."

(The original message says "if you are the owner", but the message was displayed because the poster was determined to be the owner. There is no "if".)

"You should select archive listing on the web page instead."

(This tells the poster that the better choice is on the web page, not in the posting menu. It also tells them the specific button to look for.)

"Are you sure you want to proceed with this note? [Yes] [No]"

(This asks the poster to respond to a specific Yes/No question while reinforcing that proceeding is probably not the right choice. Separating it from the informative text further clarifies the question.)

I've not seen this pop up myself but it sounds like a Javascript confirmaiton pop up.  AFAIK, the button text is not easily modifed (if possible at all).

To see the text, go to any cache page and, when making a new log, select the should be archived log type and hit submit. The text (red) and the buttons appear on the page above your log asking you to confirm your selection. Don't worry, your submission won't go through unless you actually click yes. AFAIK, the button text can be changed to anything (it's not javascript).

How about something like this:

You are submitting a note that this listing should be archived. Your request will be sent to a site reviewer, who will make a decision whether or not the listing will be archived. If you are the owner of this listing you can use the "archive" log type instead if you want to archive your cache immediately. Click "submit" to confirm the "should be archived" note. [submit] [Cancel]

Edited by DavidMac

To see the text, go to any cache page and, when making a new log, select the should be archived log type and hit submit. The text (red) and the buttons appear on the page above your log asking you to confirm your selection. Don't worry, your submission won't go through unless you actually click yes. AFIK, the button text can be changed to anything (it's not javascript).

My apologies. I didn't realize that the system was not automatically determining cache ownership. The same message comes up regardless of whether you own the cache or not.

You are submitting a note that this listing should be archived. Your request will be sent to a site reviewer, who will make a decision whether or not the listing will be archived. If you are the owner of this listing you can use the "archive" log type instead if you want to archive your cache immediately. Click "submit" to confirm the "should be archived" note. [submit] [Cancel]

I like it. I suggest the following mods:

You are submitting a note that this listing should be archived. Your request will be sent to a site reviewer, who will make a decision whether or not the listing will be archived. If you are the owner of this listing you should select "archive listing" on its web page to archive the cache immediately.

Are you sure you want to submit a note to the reviewer? [submit] [Cancel]

I like how media601 is rewording the message. I think it might also be improved by adding a third button taking the cache owner to the appropriate page.

Or... If the system recognizes that it is the owner of the cache, don't allow just the SBA log. Give the owner the opportunity to write a note and archive the cache with a message making it clear that the cache will be archived.

Removing the Needs Archived option would probably be better than my last suggestion.