All's Fair In Love & Geocaching?

Baa!

Had a conversation with KoolBeanz a day or two ago where we were ruminating over the ranking system and how folks's account/profile set-ups may affect this.

Baa! is a two-strong team and we only log caches where both of us are there to collect and claim. There've been a couple that I've done on my own with other cachers and not logged because team-Baa! has not discovered it.

It's not about ethics for us, just preference because we'd probably end up arguing about who claimed which one and end up going twice if it was a good location anyhow :laughing:

The actual question (given the credence that the ranking system has) is when does the number of members of a given profile unfairly give an advantage to the team? And is it unreasonable to expect that all members or the majority of members be present to log a cache find? Could a fiendish conglomerate of cachers club together under an alias and potentially split 10 different ways to log 10 different caches at the same time?

Not really too much of an issue amongst the ZA regulars because we're teams of 2 and kids/dogs that usually cache together unless there's a rush for a FTF, when closest member gets summoned to "fetch" :laughing:

... still... was just pondering.

My 2c worth.

I think the team should cache together as far as possible. My wife and 15 month daughter accompanies me on most local caches, but during business trips when I have time, I will go find a cache.

The bottom line is we do not split up, for her to find one and me another. I am present at all the cache finds, though I do not always find them (wife has very good eyes).

Ethically, I think that the team leader should always be present, otherwise create more than one account. Having said this, the devil's advocate in me says that this game is not about the most finds, but about enjoying the outdoor life and seeing places you never otherwise would have.

I don't think we should take the rankings too seriously. Or the number of finds, or the number of FTFs. Geocaching is not a competition: there are some cachers who are by nature more competitive than others, but this is true of life in general. It's a game, a fun pastime, and should be treated as such. It's not about who's got the most points. I have teamed up with other cachers on several occasions to find caches, but these have always been logged as separate finds (at the same time) by each individual cacher. Where several cachers are registered as one team, a cache find should only be logged once.

I think that if one member of Baa! finds a cache, it should still be logged, and make a note which one was there.

Then, the other slacker member will feel so guilty that he (or is that she) will feel obliged to rush out and grab the cache as soon as possible.

Another option is to create 2 accounts - Baa! Humbug and Baa! Baa! Blacksheep, and you could have an exciting intercouple contest to see who can get the most caches.

On that topic, if GS&Dogs or the Huskies find a cache in an area where dogs are not allowed, does that mean that they cannot log the cache, as the dogs are officially part of the team?

On the Koolbeanz topic, why doesn't she mail QFC and ask to be added to the rankings page - and why doesn;t she pop out on her lunch break and find Sea point Contact and Sea point historical - otherwise i might have to covet my old GPS back :)

On that topic, if GS&Dogs or the Huskies find a cache in an area where dogs are not allowed, does that mean that they cannot log the cache, as the dogs are officially part of the team?

Oh Dear :) That means we have only found about 10 caches in total :)

If your nic is something like PiratePete and in real life you are not really a pirate, may you then log a find.

There will be competition "its basic instinct in humans" - where there is competition there will be people bending the rules to up their rankings. At the same time there will be others striving to reach the higher levels.

It’s all relative anyway. Everyone cant spend the same amount of time on the sport cause then our country wouldn't have an economy B)

Maybe we should have more organized competitive events for those with the competitive streak in them. The event co-coordinator sets out a course of new caches to do. All the participants meet at a designated area, they are given there info sheets and off they go. First one to finish line wins!!

Edited by GS&Dogs

Luckily I haven't come across any caching areas that says "No Warthogs" or "Wild animals" allowed. :) I think wild animals in any case do just as they please.

Maybe we should have more organized competitive events for those with the competitive streak in them.

Now there's an idea for those with a competitive bend! B)

:)

If the dogs are splitting up, finding caches and logging their finds separately, it may point to manic rank-chasing behaviour.

On the Koolbeanz topic, why doesn't she mail QFC and ask to be added to the rankings page - and why doesn;t she pop out on her lunch break and find Sea point Contact and Sea point historical - otherwise i might have to covet my old GPS back

I think GS&Dogs mentioned something about an "economy" :) ... she's too mellow for rankings. More likely she's probably hoping you do take your old GPS back B)

Very interesting indeed. Most of the ZA cachers have figured out that Africard and TB Hunter are related. He is however only 21 months old and cannot type yet. When I go out caching and he accompanies me, I log his find for him. He also owns a couple of TB's whick I administer for him.

But when I go out caching without him, he does not log it. This way, by the time he is old enough to decide whether he likes caching, he already has a track record...

This is not an ethical thing, or "The way it should be done", but a very personal decision on how I want to handle the situation...

I think GS&Dogs mentioned something about an "economy"  ... she's too mellow for rankings. More likely she's probably hoping you do take your old GPS back 

she's too mellow? you're right - she is a bit of a lazy, uncompetitive slob :huh:

On the Koolbeanz topic, why doesn't she mail QFC and ask to be added to the rankings page - and why doesn;t she pop out on her lunch break and find Sea point Contact and Sea point historical - otherwise i might have to covet my old GPS back 

hey cool - i'll check 'em out! B)

p.s. well said 'Card

Edited by Kool Beanz