Ghost Roads

I am proposing a catagory for roads that we never completed, and we just left as is. Many of these roads are interstates, killed by environmental concerns, or financial strife. Anyone into civil engineering matters or just infrastructure and planning will enjoy this catagory.

Here is a picture of an example:

catonramp2.jpg

There are many of these forgotten roads all over our nation.

Here is another prime example: Google Maps Link

The highway you see was the proposed end to Interstate 70, which goes from Baltimore, MD to Cove City, UT. Anyway, the road was planned to end in downtown Baltimore, but due to concerns of running a major highway through the city's parks, it was terminated at the Baltimore Beltway. The other end was built before the connection through the park was approved, and thus the 6 lane highway abruptly ends. If you go to this point, you will see how the highway climbs high above the ground, and then just ends. It looks like a motorcycle jump or something. Very cool!

I hope that you will approve my category. I have several other "road geek" categories to propose, so I hope this one goes well. Thanks in advanced.

PS: If your interested, check out the newsgroup misc.transport.roads, the road geek meeting ground.

I think that's pretty cool!

Another option might be to create a catagory simply called "Roadworks" and then include sub-cats for "Ghost Roads" as described above and "Dead Roads" like oldtime wagon trails and such?

I'm sure with a little thinking, somebody could come up with at least one or two more interesting sub-cats for "Roadworks."

yay nay?

I think that's pretty cool!

Another option might be to create a catagory simply called "Roadworks" and then include sub-cats for "Ghost Roads" as described above and "Dead Roads" like oldtime wagon trails and such?

I'm sure with a little thinking, somebody could come up with at least one or two more interesting sub-cats for "Roadworks."

yay nay?

I'll say yay. I think thats a great idea, although I have a feeling there is already a catagory dealing with transportation. I could think of some dead roads also.

How does this approval process work if someone decides this is a good idea?

I like it. I've done the geocache Old One in my area which takes you to an abandoned bit of Highway 1. I'm wondering if the category would only be for "stillborn" roads, or would it include "abandoned" roads. I would think making it inclusive would be simpler and make for a more active category.