Gotta Love Garmin

2qwerqE

Last year, my sister gifted me with her Etrex Vista C. She'd had it for a few months, and said she didn't have much use for it. She's very outdoorsy, very athleticly inclined, works in IT so she's a techno junkie, but doesn't cache. Bizarre, I know, but what's a sister to do? But hey, if it means you want to gift me with a high-end GPSr, well, have at it!

The geep was always squirrely, and getting worse, but by the time I gave up on it and called Garmin for help, it was a few days past warranty. That's fine, they said Send it in anyway, and we'll repair it and have it back to you in two weeks.

So I borrowed a geep from a friend (Thanks again, funsparkles, your Legend worked great, and it was so sweet to be able to trust the arrow again.) and sent it in, all cynical and prepared to wait a month or two and pay almost as much as a new unit would cost for the repair. But 2 weeks to the day, I received a package from Garmin, and when I opened it, I was amazed to find, not my repaired geep, but a new VistaC replacement. No bill. No bull. (OK, it's a re-conditioned unit. I know this because it has maps in it for North Carolina, but that's OK, I easily replaced them with my Indiana area maps.)

So, after working with this geep for a weekend, I am chagrined to note that the arrow just disappears from the screen. When I first hit GoTo, the arrow is usually, not always, there, but it disappears. Feet still fall as I approach the cache (after walking in a circle trying to determine which direction will cause the feet to drop.) But it was thickly overcast, under dense canopy. I still found the caches OK without the arrow, but now I'm wondering if the lack of arrow was a result of poor signal lock due to interference, or is this geep also squirrely? I'll have to wait for a sunny day and try again to see if the arrow stays without all that cover.

But I know that if I have to send it back in, Garmin will be as good as thier word and I will not have to spend money on a new geep. Who else does that?! What other company says, sure we'll repair it or replace it free, even though you've used it out in the world in all kinds of conditions for more than a year? Gotta love Garmin.

On a side note, some reconditioned units are not there because they needed repair, they are simply returns that a customer wasn't satisfied with, repackaged and sent out as refurbished.

I know this because I had recently purchased a Lowrance Ifinder Pro. After getting frustrated with the hoops I had to jump through with GSAK, I returned the unit. (Sorry Lowrance guys, I'm just not up to hassling, I just want it to work) I asked and was told the unit would be repackaged as refurbished.

Just my two pennies on the subject.

BTW, when I'm ready to jump, it's gonna be a Garmin. Done the Magellan thing, have the headaches to prove it. Maybe a 60C.

I've never seen it used either, but here's how it works.

It's pronounced just like "Jeep," and in fact the names come from almost the same thing.

The name of the Jeep comes from the abbreviation, GP, or general purpose. People began to call them Jeeps.

Same for GPS... you shorten it to a word and come up with geep.

Jamie

Same for GPS... you shorten it to a word and come up with geep.

Jamie

since when is geeps shorter than GPS?

Maybe easier to say, but 5>3 all day where I live...

:laughing:

Tried to reply ad mu ISP went down for a half hour. Sigh.

Geep; not geeps. Subtle, I know. Like anything else with too many syllables, GPSr is a tad clumsy to type and a bit long for conversation. It's just a nickname.

Just a note to say Thanks again, Blue Deuce. Recalibrating the compass seems to have solved the disappearing arrow issue. Didn't have time to really test it, but a quick check showed the arrow at close range, and it wasn't there before. Will cache this weekend and check it out, but it seems OK now.