Permission To Play A Cache On Pa State Forest Land

Muzikman

For Pennsylvania I know the process for placing a cache in state parks and I know you don't need permission to place on state game lands, but what is the policy for state forests?

I think I found a nice location, but the land is either state game land or state forest. According to the topo it is state game land, but a lot of information I have found on the site states that it's state forest land. I just want to make sure all my I's are crossed and T's are dotted before I try and place the cache.

Edit: Sorry for the mis-spelling in the title...Play should be Place. Now I feel like a fool and can't figure out how to edit the title (or even delete the post).

Edited by Muzikman

If it is state forest land they have a obligation to protect all natural areas. I was told by a forest ranger that all state forests were natural areas and therefore geocaches were not allowed. that being said contact the managing ranger and see if that was just an excuse to keep caches out of the area that I was interested in. good luck

The same permit process used by the State Parks also applies to the State Forests. Click on my name to go to my profile, where you can read further details and get a link to the DCNR website's geocaching page. My profile also links to a thread about "natural areas" and "wild area," which are specifically designated portions of state forests and state parks where no geocaches are permitted at all. But those are just a tiny percentage of the lands made available for geocaching by the DCNR.

Oops. In rebutting what ChinCache said he heard, I should've just linked to the prior thread on natural areas and wild areas, rather than trying to summarize quickly and messing up an important detail. Looking at the old thread from 2003, it wasn't then clear yet whether permits would be issued in wild areas. With the passage of time, things are clearer now. Several permits *have* indeed been issued, as Quest Master noted.

Hey, Keystone, while we have you on the horn, what do you know about placing a cache on the property of Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission? We applied to DCNR for permission to place a cache in what we thought was Wash. Crossing State Park, and they told us was not on their property and that caches on Historical and Museum commission sites were probably not allowed. *shrug*

We are contacting them, I just thought you might know off the top of your head.

Hey, Keystone, while we have you on the horn, what do you know about placing a cache on the property of Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission? We applied to DCNR for permission to place a cache in what we thought was Wash. Crossing State Park, and they told us was not on their property and that caches on Historical and Museum commission sites were probably not allowed. *shrug*

I had the same issue come up awhile back on this side of our state at Bushy Run Battlefield, which is also administered by the PaH&MC. Permission was granted for the placement of a cache there. I know of no formal policy but given the nature of sites like that one, and Washington's Crossing, asking is definitely best.

If you do decide to contact the land manager, please note that this agency also administers the familiar blue and gold Pennsylvania historic markers program. You might mention that there's a project underway at Waymarking.com to confirm the presence and get the coordinates for every historic marker listed in the state's database. We'd be glad to share the information we find. If so, put them in touch with me. This might score you brownie points toward obtaining permission.

Thank you Keystone. I am now 99% sure the land is actually State Game Land, but I will drop you an email/PM with the coords to see what you think. I will also contact the DCNR and confirm with them.

You can verify the precise boundaries between state forest and state game commission land by looking at either the DCNR or PGC maps. I find the PGC maps to usually be more detailed. Go to this page on the PA Game Commission Website and follow the appropriate link under "PDF Maps" in the right-hand column.

These are the maps I use when reviewing cache submissions. Sometimes the boundaries are like a jigsaw puzzle! Also, as a geocaching tip, these maps can be very helpful when planning to hide or find a cache on State Gamelands.

I had the same issue come up awhile back on this side of our state at Bushy Run Battlefield, which is also administered by the PaH&MC. Permission was granted for the placement of a cache there. I know of no formal policy but given the nature of sites like that one, and Washington's Crossing, asking is definitely best.

If you do decide to contact the land manager, please note that this agency also administers the familiar blue and gold Pennsylvania historic markers program. You might mention that there's a project underway at Waymarking.com to confirm the presence and get the coordinates for every historic marker listed in the state's database. We'd be glad to share the information we find. If so, put them in touch with me. This might score you brownie points toward obtaining permission.

Will do. Thanks, dude! :D

The PAGC maps are great. I have a nice stockpile of them from before they published them on the website. There are several that have not been updated for quite some time (and are not on the web site - my favorite SGL109), it does not matter that much though all you really need are the boundary lines and important features. They can be found in the woods fairly easily the PAGC marks trees with white paint and small boundary signs. The cost to have them mail the maps to you is well worth it if they are not on the site.

thanks keysone, It may just be that the valley forge state forest is all "natural area".

If I'm not mistaken to what you are referring to, I believe that is Valley Forge National Park located in Chester County near Valley Forge. If so, geocaches are not allowed there.

Keystone: Nice link to the gamelands maps. Not enough geocachers use them!

Salvelinus

The valley forge state forest is made up of three large tracts and several smaller ares in southeast PA.

The person to contact at washington crossing park is Dave (dadgum i forget his last name). When i rescued a cache in the park I tried to get permission for a rehide but just got tired of making phone calls.

thanks keysone, It may just be that the valley forge state forest is all "natural area".

If I'm not mistaken to what you are referring to, I believe that is Valley Forge National Park located in Chester County near Valley Forge. If so, geocaches are not allowed there.

Keystone: Nice link to the gamelands maps. Not enough geocachers use them!

Salvelinus

I have a cache in Valley Forge National Park - kind of. It the Valley Forge covered bridge (see question B.) where you need to go to get info for the true coordinates of the container that's hidden outside the park. It's a good way to "hide" caches in National Parks and other areas without actually violating any rules.

PS thanks for the excuse to plug my cache :ph34r: