Moving/saving Waypoints

Hankhan

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I've tried searching and can't find the answer.

I've got a bunch of waypoints on my GPS and I'd like to organize them. I've typically got 3 or 4 from places I hunt/fish. Is there something I can use to move them from the GPS to my PC, put them into a file that names them by general location and then move them back to the GPS when I'm going to be visiting that area again? I've got a GSMAP76 and Mapsource TOPO. I just learned how to find my way to a waypoint last weekend - if I hadn't I might still have been wandering around in the mountains of N. Idaho.

Thanks...

You can use MapSource to save your waypoints, routes, tracks and list of maps that are in the unit to a file on the computer.

CLICK HERE to download a free MapSource tutorial program from Garmin's Web site.

CLICK HERE to download a free program to upgrade your MapSource program to the current version 6.8. It will NOT update your map data, but it'll provide you with lots of features that may not be available on the version of MapSource that came with your Topo map disks.

Edited by Neo_Geo

I've made progress. Thanks! I was able to move my waypoints into/out of Mapsource, and I figured out to put them into categories. Then, if I'm doing this right I save whatever is on my screen into a file. Is this right? Am I missing something? Am I supposed to be putting my few waypoints on my map and into a category, and then saving it? Then I assume I can bring that file up and move it back to the GPS as needed??

Edited by Hankhan

Much simpler than using a mapping program to organize and swap your waypoints...

Go to the Geocaching.com resources link (left side of page) and click on "geocaching software" under "resources and tools". Scroll down and click on "EasyGPS".

This is freeware that quickly and simply moves waypoints back and forth between your PC and your GPS. You give the group of waypoints it's own name, just like any other file. The waypoints all have unique names and you can choose icons just like on your GPS. You can also edit each waypoint entry on the PC in EasyGPS.

I use this for several different waypoint files that have nothing to do with geocaching, and it's the simplest and fastest method I've seen. When I have an EasyGPS waypoint file that is very important I just burn it onto a CD and it's saved permenently.

I've made progress. Thanks! I was able to move my waypoints into/out of Mapsource, and I figured out to put them into categories. Then, if I'm doing this right I save whatever is on my screen into a file. Is this right? Am I missing something? Am I supposed to be putting my few waypoints on my map and into a category, and then saving it? Then I assume I can bring that file up and move it back to the GPS as needed??

You can simply save them off. I'll just name the file for where they are from. I have a file for Chicago waypoints, One for Des Moines, ect. (You can also save off your tracks with Mapsource)

You can certainly change the icons and categorize them, but of course that requires making an effort. (yikes!)

Usually after a trip I'll 'upload' all the waypoints and then delete all the cache waypoints. My marked waypoint will have a different icon. You can also do this on your gps. Whatever way you prefer.

You can also select one or more waypoints and copy and paste them into other mapsource files you have saved. I'll load in a PQ and paste in my home waypoint I have saved off elsewhere.

Edited by BlueDeuce