Groundspeak Project Coin(square)?

WYlostinMA

You mean like this one?

2c98320c-db93-4ec1-bbed-6c86fab7ceb8.jpg

My brother found the square one in a cache up in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada last year some time. He passed it along to me last Christmas because he knew I would think it was cool.

Haven't been able to find out anything about it though (or the round one for that matter). There are a few of them out there, but where they came from, nobody seems to know.

Nice try everyone, but these coins are not going anywhere! I would be curious to find out who else has found either of these coins before though, and where they found them.

When I have some time, I plan to go through my earlier logs to see when/where I found the round Groundspeak coin. I've had that one for a long time though, so probably found it some time in 2002 or 2003 and I believe it was in a cache around Rochester, NY, but I could be wrong on that.

As I mentioned earlier, the square one was found in a cache in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada some time in the summer 2004.

Rosthafari brings up a good point. Logo usage must be with written permission, not just Groundspeak's logo, but any copyrighted design. Especially if you are going to sell the coins, whether you make a profit or not. I have seen a design that was taken from some other company logo. It's not legal, and if someone wanted to make a stink about it they could. Please use only original designs on your coins or obtain written permission from the owner of the copyright.

So these coins represent 2 counts of copyright infringement each (I'm assuming that the Groundspeak logo on there is also copyrighted). That's an interesting and disappointing twist. All along I was under the impression that they were something Groundspeak put out. I wonder if this will change the desirability of them for anyone else?

So these coins represent 2 counts of copyright infringement each (I'm assuming that the Groundspeak logo on there is also copyrighted). That's an interesting and disappointing twist. All along I was under the impression that they were something Groundspeak put out. I wonder if this will change the desirability of them for anyone else?

Does that mean you will stop hounding me to trade for them? :blink:

As for the desirability, it doesn't change that for me (maybe because I already own them). I did wonder if they were something put out by someone at Groundspeak (thanks for clearing that up Rothstafari), but even if they were not sanctioned by them, they are still cool looking coins.

Whether or not the geocaching.com logo violates the copyright laws probably depends on how many of these coins are out there. From the logo usage page:

We are also willing to make allowances for those of you who have creative ideas and want to do something fun for your friends and fellow Geocachers. The Groundspeak Geocaching Logos may be used only on non-commercial items. These items may include, but are not limited to shirts, hats, coins, logbooks, stickers and cache containers. Additionally, the Groundspeak Geocaching logos may not be modified in any way. If the lifetime use of the design is less than 25 units, you may consider permission automatically granted. These items may not, under any circumstance, be sold. For larger numbers of items, please request permission by sending an email to logo@Groundspeak.com.

What do you think the chances are that there were less than 25 of these coins minted?

I'm not sure if the logo without geocaching.com underneath it is considered a modification. Their logo page does show a couple small versions of the logo where the URL is not included.

Edited by junglehair
That's too bad....it definitely changes things in my book.

I thought they were really cool and rare coins that Groundspeak put out - knowing that they are rouge coins kills the desire for me (no offense to JungleHair of course).

Man, ain't ignorance bliss? :blink:

Is that like the rouge numbers on some of the California coins? :lol:

Can you track the placement of the coins into the cache they were discovered in to a given cacher ? :blink:

Might be a good place to start.....

I still have to look through my logs to see if I noted where/when I picked up the round one. With over 1400 finds, that could take a while, but I will start with the earliest ones and work my way up, since I've had that one a long time.

Figured it would be easier to track the square one. My brother only has 38 finds, so didn't take long to look through his logs.

By the looks of things, he picked it up at the Courts, 3rd Edition cache on October 30, 2004.

Log for Courts, 3rd Edition

There were only a couple others that found the cache before him, but none of them mention leaving the Groundspeak coin. I'm going to email the owner to see if he remembers if it was part of the original contents. I'll also try Peter and Gloria. They mentioned leaving coins, but were not specific about what type.

If I find out anything, I'll post it here. Stay tuned...

I can't believe it. After all this time, I finally found out the origin of these coins. They were made by a trophy shop in my home town of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. The square ones were actually a mistake - they were supposed to be round. There were about 30 of them spread around caches in Winnipeg.

On the round one, the GD stands for.... name withheld to protect the innocent. If you really want to know, email me and I'll tell you.

I'm trying to find out how many of each coin were made in total. I'm actually quite excited here to finally figure out where these came from.

Guess we can't refer to the round one as the GD Mystery coin any more.