Cache Containers That Make You Jump!

Hogarth

Sorry. I don't go geocaching to get the crap scared out of me. I've hit two major yellow jacket nests over the years and have been stung so many times over the years that I need to carry a kit around with me. My wife is scared to death of snakes because of bad experiences. We tent camp quite a bit so we're not weenies, but there's something just plain wrong with playing with people's fears.

As for me, if I run across a cache that has a realistic rats, bats, bees, spiders, pyrotechnics, etc etc, I'm going to beat the heck out of them until it's a bunch of shredded plastic.

Edited by JollyGreenGiant

Once while looking for a cache, I noticed a snake tail under a nearby log. It was of the rattler variety, so I freaked out for a few moments until I realized we have NO rattlers in B.C. except in the Oakanagan. So, I poked it with a stick, and discovered the snake was the cache. Believe me, I was relieved :(

BC Tripper :)

Wait a second, scaring people is a multimillion dollar industry. The difference is you make a choice to be scared when you go to an amusement park or scary movie. So, a scary cache would be ok if you properly warned seekers that your cache might be different from the norm. So, those of you that wouldn't want to be scared, or those of you that wouldn't mind it if you had some sort of idea it was a different cache, what type of message could someone put on their cache to let you know that it may be a 'unique' experience without totally ruining the suprise?

I'd like to place some 'unique' micros and caches but don't want to really upset people. I also don't want a cacher to trash my cache because it suprised them, nor do I want to spoil the suprise.

Ideas?

Edited by ScottFla

I found one in NJ., one of those typical multi-trunked tree caches. Now it's mid autumn with leaves built up in the middle of the trunks. i reach in to grab the cache and see an eye looking back at me. So I poke it with a stick after my heart started beating again. and heard a lovely hollow plastic sound.

I have a cache with the snake in the can that jumps out at you. The container is a 3 ft piece of PVC pipe with openings on both ends. I had the luck to be nearby when someone opened the container. All I heard was a scream and then laughter. I have a warning on the listing that there is a small bonus cache inside. I have gotten nothing but positive emails on this one. Here is the listing: www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5b983aaf-6c35-4633-9a43-8a809e37251d

After awhile plain tupperware needs some excitement!!!!!

HAVE FUN AND KEEP ON CACHING!!!!!!!!!!

Wait a second, scaring people is a multimillion dollar industry. The difference is you make a choice to be scared when you go to an amusement park or scary movie. So, a scary cache would be ok if you properly warned seekers that your cache might be different from the norm. So, those of you that wouldn't want to be scared, or those of you that wouldn't mind it if you had some sort of idea it was a different cache, what type of message could someone put on their cache to let you know that it may be a 'unique' experience without totally ruining the suprise?

I'd like to place some 'unique' micros and caches but don't want to really upset people. I also don't want a cacher to trash my cache because it suprised them, nor do I want to spoil the suprise.

Ideas?

not only that but I know some people who are genuinely phobic when it comes to snakes or spiders. and who knows if they have a bad heart or what? I'd not want to surprise them. maybe you'd just have to work on the hint thing, because usually even when people go to a scary movie and know something is coming, they still jump pretty good. tell them you give this one a "halloween" rating, cacher beware. :unsure:

Just came across one in TN. It was an ammo box in a hollow tree. Grabbed the box and began removing it from the hole. That's when I saw it and almost did pee my pants. The hider had tied about 4 feet of fishing line to the back of the box and tied about a 4 foot black rubber snake to the other end. Needless to say, it looked exactly like it would if a snake had taken up residence beside the box and was not too happy about me disturbing him and he was coming out to announce his annoyance. Got me pretty good and I made REAL sure to hide this one exactly as I found it so the next cacher could have the same fun I did!

Hah! I have one like that, at the top of a VERY steep hill. You have to climb the hill a total of three times to complete the multi; it's called "Cardiac Test." Find the final, and out pops the snake!

Just came across one in TN. It was an ammo box in a hollow tree. Grabbed the box and began removing it from the hole. That's when I saw it and almost did pee my pants. The hider had tied about 4 feet of fishing line to the back of the box and tied about a 4 foot black rubber snake to the other end. Needless to say, it looked exactly like it would if a snake had taken up residence beside the box and was not too happy about me disturbing him and he was coming out to announce his annoyance. Got me pretty good and I made REAL sure to hide this one exactly as I found it so the next cacher could have the same fun I did!

Hah! I have one like that, at the top of a VERY steep hill. You have to climb the hill a total of three times to complete the multi; it's called "Cardiac Test." Find the final, and out pops the snake!

Remind me not to go caching with you ever again JoeFrog :blink::blink::ph34r:<_<

Local geocachers in our area have a signature item that is a rubber band wound up inside an envelope. They have written "Warning: Baby Rattle Snake Inside" but people still can't help themselves peak. Opening the envelope loosens the band that 'rattles' --- I haven't seen someone open one and not jump out of their skin yet!

:o

Gotta say I'm kinda loving this idea. In fact, I think I'd be neat to create a Halloween cache with some type of cheap scare gag. The following year, disable the cache a month before Halloween to rig up a new gag and re-enable on Halloween again. Repeat this every year and you might have a lot of people coming back to it as a tradition.

I found a cache once that use a small plastic tupperware container, looked pretty typical. What I didn't know was that the hider put a small wind-up toy inside with a tail that moved rapidly back and forth. It was set so that when the container was opened, the tail would move and cause a rattle. I almost dropped the container...

Gotta say I'm kinda loving this idea. In fact, I think I'd be neat to create a Halloween cache with some type of cheap scare gag. The following year, disable the cache a month before Halloween to rig up a new gag and re-enable on Halloween again. Repeat this every year and you might have a lot of people coming back to it as a tradition.

I'm going to go to WalMart some time and look at their silly Hallowe'en toys. Perhaps I'll find a light-activated figure that screams or moans when someone passes by. I could stick that in an ammo box, ...

There is absolutely no way you could get me to pick up a snake (fake or not) to get a cache.

I jump when I see them on TV. Actualy if we are being honest if I am not expecting it I scream when I see a snake on tv.

Was in NY once and some guy had a big snake you could get your photo taken with. I literal changed direction and refused to go near him.

No I wouldn't have a heart attack but I would still have an extreme reaction.

I go 'treasure hunting' with a two and nearly four year old.

If you want to do something different (especialy when including snakes) then I think there should be a warning on the cache listing. I don't mean saying this has a snake but that this has a scare factor of 5 or something along those lines.