Cache Containers That Make You Jump!

Hogarth

:) Took a long break from caching. Got too burned out by it, but now that I've had time to lament on things, I started pondering a new cache container idea. Since Halloween is almost here, I thought about a new night time cache with something in it that would jump out of the box. Has anyone else had this devious little idea? has anyone done one, or encountered one that made you jump? Just curious..

Just came across one in TN. It was an ammo box in a hollow tree. Grabbed the box and began removing it from the hole. That's when I saw it and almost did pee my pants. The hider had tied about 4 feet of fishing line to the back of the box and tied about a 4 foot black rubber snake to the other end. Needless to say, it looked exactly like it would if a snake had taken up residence beside the box and was not too happy about me disturbing him and he was coming out to announce his annoyance. Got me pretty good and I made REAL sure to hide this one exactly as I found it so the next cacher could have the same fun I did!

:P I found just the thing. Out shopping with the wife and I saw a big taratella with a motion sensor on it. If you trigger the sensor, the trantella drops down. I have an old Willow on my driveway where I could put the cache. Then when they move the ammo box it would of course cause the spider to come out of it's lair.. ;);) Man I'm going to have some fun with this one.... :P

Well the best I've seen so far is this cache container. The immediate area added to the surprise because of the thick brush/undergrowth and due to the fact that one is constantly watching one's footing, the gpsr and all the branches. I knew I was getting close when my son froze and turned pale at the sight of the "container".

dutchmaster

I there is a local cache that has one of those motion detector Halloween decorations near the location of the the cache. So you're trying to be careful and all of a sudden you've got something going "ooooooooooweeeeeeeeeoooooooeeeee!" in your ear. People are always saying they jumped and screamed!

:D hmmm, I got a fake Dogey Doo, I can have some fun with...

Actually, I have thought about tieing them 'Pull String Firworks' to the inside of an ammo can, for a BIG Surprise, but then it might be illeagal.

But, having them keep it a secret from the website, like others have, also comes to mind.

I have a very nice designed ammo box, that if I show the pic on the page, would really get some interest..

hmm...

hmmm...

hmmmmm...

If I do decide, I will put it on rough terrain so the finder will have to be in good condition so they will not have a heart attack.

Edited by rockey_f_squirrell

Thrak, I just found one under a lamp skirt that had not a rubber rat but a fur covered one. Should be all sorts of stuff left over from Halloween, I was looking for a skull to hide in a rocky area.

I was momentarily distracted by what I thought were wasps and had my head almost next to it, slow pause and I likely would have jumped back but if it had just reacted, but I paused to think it would have vacated as soon as I opened the lid. Still, I would like to be around when someone pulls up with that "its just a lamp skirt" attitude. :D

My PDX Airport cache has a plastic rat with red eyes that "guards" the ammo can inside it's hiding place.

It all started when someone placed that big, gray rat as a trade item in the box... and it was too big for me to put back in the box after I did some cache maintenance. So it started doing guard duty.

If you go to this cache page and search for words like "rat" and "guard" in the logs, you will get a good laugh. :rolleyes:

I found one in Coronado (San Diego). It was an ammo can and when you opened it, this 'FURBIE' started to talk.... LOUDLY.... Scared the bejesus out of me! 1st, I don't like animatronics of any kind! 2nd, I don't like animatronics of any kind! I couldn't sign the log fast enough so I could close the lid! -BK

Emily's Spooky Kid's Cache 2-

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4a-022edbb93fbb

This is on Long Island, New York and has made a couple people jump! Here are logs from it:

May 29 by Troll girl (67 found)

Troll girl let out a scream...and jumped a mile high!!! Loved this one!!! Took a geocaching pin and left a troll(of course)

July 23 by Waterspyder (686 found)

Great location and neat little cemetary but the ghost near the cache spooked me and I jumped about five feet. I probably would have had a heart attack if he came at me like that at night. The cache was not hidden when I found it so I placed it where it should have been. Thanks for the fun.

There's one of those typical "under the light post skirt" caches in a parking lot near here. When you lift up the "skirt" to look under it there is a very realistic rubber rat with the micro inside. I think it's made a few folks jump. :ph34r:

The same hider hid a micro inside a realistic-looking rubber rattlesnake under a bridge.

My PDX Airport cache has a plastic rat with red eyes that "guards" the ammo can inside it's hiding place. 

It all started when someone placed that big, gray rat as a trade item in the box... and it was too big for me to put back in the box after I did some cache maintenance.  So it started doing guard duty. 

If you go to this cache page and search for words like "rat" and "guard" in the logs, you will get a good laugh.  :ph34r:

That must be new since I found your cache ages ago...thank goodness :(

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly

I don't mind TRL's skulls (though I do not do cemetery caches, so one of his will ever be on my nearby list). But, however, if I open a cache where something jumped out at me, I suspect that, in a fit of hysteria, I would smash it with whatever is at hand. And, when the fit of frenzy wore off, I would probably continue to smash it with rocks.

There is nothing funny about deliberately scaring people. That is sheer malice.

I have one all made up, but me wife won't let me place it.

It's a round altiods tin screwed onto a personal alarm (the kind joggers use).

I had planned on placing it into a tree hollow with the pull-cord attached inside, so when the cache is pulled out, the string is pulled from the alarm activating it until the cord it quickly re-attached. I thought it would be funny (as long at it is faaaar out of town)...she thinks not. She won the argument, so it sits on the fridge.

Ed

How about one in a rubber snake? I've got it hidden in some tall grass and twisted, thick weeds so that only small bits of it show. One cacher posted a dnf that said "Found lots of bees and one snake but not the cache." How's that for making people jump. They were scared away by the container.

A couple years ago I ran a geocache event that deployed a frightening cache container.. A sort of hybrid capture the flag game where the end result would be to open the locked cache container and take what is inside to the finishline.

I thought it would be a quiet game, so I rigged the container to ignite several 4th of July "Flashers".. in addition I put a screamer alarm in a mug inside, which they had to grab and take to the finish. It was chaotic, but really fun.

1489080_600.jpg

I still feel bad for mini-Wanderlost. That picture if him makes me feel awful...

Yes I have had a few encounters with snakes and stuff. Last year i saw 7 poisonous snakes wile geocachingand 4 garden ones.

By the way i once made a cache container that when you open the lid it sounds like a bomb exploded then a smoke bomb lights. But i thought it might give someone a heart attack.

This is a cache I did a while back. It actually contained a taxidermed rattlesnake. The logs when you read them do not say exactly what is in it but do imply. The paper log inside the cache was priceless. :lol:

On my first night caching adventure, my friend and I found this cache. I'm pretty sure the cacher right before us had decided that they wanted to put a large, tarantula sized, plastic spider in the cache. Cache was a guardrail pill bottle, so they attached it with a wire so when you pulled it out, so did the spider. By the light of a flashlight, it's enough for someone to check their underwear after finding it. :lol:

There's one of those typical "under the light post skirt" caches in a parking lot near here. When you lift up the "skirt" to look under it there is a very realistic rubber rat with the micro inside. I think it's made a few folks jump. :ph34r:

Rey Del Roble has series of caches with the theme Things that Bite. Very fun! One hide was similar to the realistic rat example mentioned earlier.

Just came across one in TN. It was an ammo box in a hollow tree. Grabbed the box and began removing it from the hole. That's when I saw it and almost did pee my pants. The hider had tied about 4 feet of fishing line to the back of the box and tied about a 4 foot black rubber snake to the other end. Needless to say, it looked exactly like it would if a snake had taken up residence beside the box and was not too happy about me disturbing him and he was coming out to announce his annoyance. Got me pretty good and I made REAL sure to hide this one exactly as I found it so the next cacher could have the same fun I did!

I can just imagine that.....Still laughing! :laughing: