My Cache Is Being Compromised ...

clearpath

I have just about had it with short people!!! I have this MOC (forget my arguement that MOC require less maintenance) that is hidden in a knot hole of a tree about 9 ft. off the ground. Over that last year and a half, I've noticed that the cache is sometimes not put back where it belongs (like today). There are times when the cache is found laying at the base of the tree. However, that is because the knot hole will fill up with rain water and push the cache out. But there have been several times when I will find the ammo can hidden nice and neat several feet away under a pile of sticks. It finally dawned on me that SHORT PEOPLE are trying to send a message. It's obvious that the short person will retrieve the cache so they can sign the log book and get credit but when it comes to putting the cache back WHERE IT BELONGS they would rather take even more effort to find a hiding place and cover it with a bunch of sticks. At least they don't just throw the cache down and leave it out in the open. But what gives? You got it out of the hiding place, why not put it back?

Maybe I should chain the ammo can to the tree about 8 ft. from the ground. Then, hide all the logs, rocks and anything else you can use to climb the tree. Hehehe, that ought to do it. Then I will be in command of my cache once again. Hehehe, I'll show YOU!

PS-I'm having a really crappy day at work and the reason is this short customer that loves to make my life H- E- double toothpicks.

I wonder if this is why Randy Newman wrote that song?

How does the cache work? Is it a multi and the micro is a stage that tells where the final is?

If so I would do this: After the micro, add another stage that is lat ang lon guiding them to some kind of tool to raise someone to 9 feet (Step stool?). Don't put any hints at this stage about the final. But on that tool write. "OK, now go put the previous stage back in it's hiding spot and you will find the coordinates for the final" Then at the back of the knot hole for the micro put a laminated sheet with the coordinate to the final that cannot fall out with the micro.

But then I guess you might get people not putting the stool back...

So let me get this straight.  Even if all the short people get a boost and put it back the rain will collect and toss your cache out on the ground anyway?

It has to rain over two inches in order for enough water to collect. So, it's not like the cache gets tossed out very often.

I still think it's funny. It's not even going to stay put if everone does everthing right. However if you stuff a short person in the hole like a cork, that should do the trick.

tell me about it. i have a cache for which you're supposed to find a big honkin' POLE with a hook on the end! the pole is AT THE COORDINATES and it is neatly labeled "the tool".

the cache is 60 or so feet away. SHORT PEOPLE keep climbing up on each other to get it down and then do not put it up as hight as i prefer it. WHY can they not find and use the HONKIN' TOOL?

it's six feet long. it is not hard to find.

It finally dawned on me that SHORT PEOPLE are trying to send a message. It's obvious that the short person will retrieve the cache so they can sign the log book and get credit but when it comes to putting the cache back WHERE IT BELONGS they would rather take even more effort to find a hiding place and cover it with a bunch of sticks.  At least they don't just throw the cache down and leave it out in the open.  But what gives?  You got it out of the hiding place, why not put it back?

I can say that this short person (5'6" :unsure: ) does and will put the cache back as close to the same exact way that I found it, not matter how high and/or how much cover it has on it. If I got it from that place, its going back in that place.

Don't worry, not harm taken. Also sorry about that bad day at work, I know how that can be. Speaking if short people, found someone shorter that I. He was 4'3" and wow what an attitude when I pulled him over for running a stop sign.

Make it a SPOC (short people only cache); make it understood on the cache page that, in order to claim a ligitimate find, the cacher must be (and proove that he or she is) shorter than five foot two with eyes of blue. Hide all the possible retrieving utensils (as you suggusted you might do), and explain on the cache page that the cache is only retreivable during or shortly after a 2"+ rainfall.

Change the rating to 5/5.

I hope tomorrow is a better day. :huh:

(I really love short women!) :unsure:

tell me about it. i have a cache for which you're supposed to find a big honkin' POLE with a hook on the end! the pole is AT THE COORDINATES and it is neatly labeled "the tool".

the cache is 60 or so feet away. SHORT PEOPLE keep climbing up on each other to get it down and then do not put it up as hight as i prefer it. WHY can they not find and use the HONKIN' TOOL?

it's six feet long. it is not hard to find.

LOL Thats hilarious :unsure: I just hid a similar type cache last week. Its at a popular fishing spot, but on the cache page I implied it was in a Walmart parking lot.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ff-2c1929e64549

the difficulty increases (even with the pole) proportionally to a person's height...

I went out and did some cache maintenance and took a short person along. WHen we were done and I got home I spotted this thread, you must have been looking over my shoulder.

My cache has not been compromised but it never did occur to me that short people would not be able to retrieve the cache.

I fixed my cache so now TALL people have to bend down or even get down on one knee to get the cache.

I know for sure I have one cache where being short helps, tall people have trouble seeing it. :laughing:

I believe that short people have rights even though I tower high above them, and they must crane their necks in the presence of my altitudinous stature.

If I place a cache that is above the reach of short folks, I attach a string-and-pulley system so that they can lower it to the ground, and then they can simply crank it back up when they are done.

Otherwise, if I deploy no string and pulley system, I simply put a note on the cache page stating that if you are not "this" tall, you need to bring a caching buddy to give you a lift.

-Hugh Jazz

We went for a cache once that was hidden fairly high up. I'm short, so I passed it by, thinking, "Nope, can't reach anything up there." After checking out other spots and coming up empty, we came back to that spot, and I asked the other crab the see if he could reach anything up there. He fished around blindly but found nothing. Not convinced, I decided that we needed to see in there. So he knelt down on all fours and I stood on his back and as I was reaching for a handhold, I found the cache near, but not in, the spot we had thought it was in.

(We put it back in same spot :laughing:)

On the way back from the cache, I said "Hey, this should be a special-equipment-required cache." And he said "Yep. Equipment Needed: one crab. Preferably a hard-shelled crab." (My somewhat muddy footprints were still on his back.)

I'm glad I'm not a short person, they get picked on alot. I like short people, they are fun to pick on. :laughing: Caches just for short people--no way!!! Then you would have to make caches for tall, average, etc., etc. I say, hide at the cache site untill someone goes to put the cache back wrong-- JUMP OUT AND SCARE THE SHORTIES HALF TO DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

All right, already. Stop picking on the short people! I'm 6'2", and my caching cohort in 5'3". Lots of caches he can't reach. Of course, I can lift him on my shoulders for the ones I cannot reach.

Don't blame the cache not getting put back right on short people. Blame it on lazy people. Or the annual cache migration. :blink:

I remember one cache, where I had to wade across a stream, and crawl into the spillway (not used) to get to the cache. I found a bison tube. Great prize! Got back to dry land, and discovered that the cache log was in it. Back across the stream, back up the dam, back into the spillway to replace it.

Yes, dont pick on the short people. When I was in school, I got picked on for being too tall, as I was 5'10" in 6th grade and as skinny as a rail. I'm sure my bright orange hair contributed to it also, as I tried to grow it long to fit in, but it was so thick it just grew outward like an afro. Thank God I stopped growing when I was 16 at 6'3". When people today mention that I'm tall I just tell them that I'm actually 4'27"..... :blink:

Around here people post in the cache description or in the logs "Not Annie Friendly" so I know to bring a tall friend along. Being 5' 1 3/4" if I stand 'tall' (and yes Septic I have blue eyes) :) is a challenge for some of these caches especially when you add on that I'm afraid of heights.

There was one cache that I went with another vertically challenged friend. It was an ammo can in an old rotting tree about 7' up. Let me tell you, that was one hilarious situation - trying to get the ammo can out of the tree without getting bonked on the head and then returning it to it's place of origin. Did I mention the tree was rotting? We were also fearful of the tree coming down on top of us if we weren't careful. :) Turned a '2' into a 5 for us!

I have ended up fashioning a tool on the spot to return a cache to the rightful place. I'm still looking for an extendable 'grabber' that would fold down and fit in my bag for those days that I don't have 'Stretch' with me. Let's just say I sure appreciate the warning so I don't hike all that way and end up empty handed.

When people today mention that I'm tall I just tell them that I'm actually 4'27"..... :)

That's just mean.....

Most probably just stare at you with a blank look after that. :)

No, everyone laughs. I dont see how it is mean. I met a girl once who complained that she was short. (at 4'11") When I told her that, she laughed and we ended up dating for several months.

Main Entry: laugh Pronunciation: 'laf, 'l[a'] fFunction: verbEtymology: Middle English, from Old English hliehhan; akin to Old High German lachen to laughintransitive senses

1 a : to show mirth, joy, with a smile and chuckle or explosive sound b : to find amusement or pleasure in something <laughed at his own clumsiness> c : to become amused <a very skeptical public laughed at our early efforts -- Graenum Berger>

2 a : to produce the sound or appearance of laughter <a laughing brook> b : to be of a kind that inspires joy

Try it! It's fun!

B)B):D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
Yes, dont pick on the short people. When I was in school, I got picked on for being too tall, as I was 5'10" in 6th grade and as skinny as a rail. I'm sure my bright orange hair contributed to it also, as I tried to grow it long to fit in, but it was so thick it just grew outward like an afro. Thank God I stopped growing when I was 16 at 6'3". When people today mention that I'm tall I just tell them that I'm actually 4'27"..... :)

I'm 6'4", I get so tired of people saying, "gosh, your tall." I always want to say (but usually restrain myself from saying:), "Gee I didn't know that, thanks for filling me in, that explains why I have to duck to go out the door...... HERE'S YOUR SIGN"

Yeah, well clearpath, I have a ground-level cache that keeps migrating to a higher spot. I can only attribute this to tall people not wanting to bend over. So, both ends of the height spectrum contribute to cache migration.

Oh, another thing. How about the comments on a cache description or hint that say "cache is at eye level" (which I am guilty of)? When that is given by a short or tall person, our information on where the cache lies is greatly skewed!

Now, I suggest we stop harping about this height impaired or paired, as the case may be, folks. Next thing you know, we will have a guideline that states "caches should be placed between 3'6" and 6'0"". :)

You might want to make a requirement (for completing the cache) that the cache be put back in it's original position. Otherwise credit for the cache might be revoked. At least a written notice calling out the slacker. If you choose to take it down just put it back. If a cache is low to the ground I get down on all fours dirting my pants and get it. And I put it back just the way I found it. As my wife says....put the seat down like it was when you came in.

On a side note:

Gee your really tall! Do you play basketball? Well no, your really small are you a jockey? :)

I stand at 4'10" and I also have trouble with the high caches! Heck, I have trouble with the ones that aren't considered high - I guess I have short arms to match my short legs. :rolleyes: My son is now 5'2" and my husband is 6'3" so we have all the bases covered! I get the low ones they get all the others!

Yes, dont pick on the short people. When I was in school, I got picked on for being too tall, as I was 5'10" in 6th grade and as skinny as a rail. I'm sure my bright orange hair contributed to it also, as I tried to grow it long to fit in, but it was so thick it just grew outward like an afro.  Thank God I stopped growing when I was 16 at 6'3".  When people today mention that I'm tall I just tell them that I'm actually 4'27"..... :rolleyes:

I'm 6'4", I get so tired of people saying, "gosh, your tall." I always want to say (but usually restrain myself from saying:), "Gee I didn't know that, thanks for filling me in, that explains why I have to duck to go out the door...... HERE'S YOUR SIGN"

I am quite tall myself, and I got tired of people asking me to stop what I was doing to get something for them they would actually have to make an effort to reach. They would say something like: "Oh, could you just get that box off the shelf for me? You're so much closer!"

"No problem!" I would reply, "But next time my shoe is untied, would you mind taking care of it because you're so much closer?" Sure I got some dirty looks, but they were from short people. What could they do? Shake their angry little fists at me?

I was wondering that if the short people can't put the cache back, how did they retrieve it in the first place?????

Oh, when you spend a lifetime being vertically challenged you learn to be very resourceful, believe me! A nearby stick can be used to flick the cache out. It usually takes much, much longer to balance the cache on the stick and tip it back into the hiding spot. I can say that I've returned every cache (sometimes with help) to the original spot.

I am quite tall myself, and I got tired of people asking me to stop what I was doing to get something for them they would actually have to make an effort to reach. They would say something like: "Oh, could you just get that box off the shelf for me? You're so much closer!"

"No problem!" I would reply, "But next time my shoe is untied, would you mind taking care of it because you're so much closer?" Sure I got some dirty looks, but they were from short people. What could they do? Shake their angry little fists at me?

That's hysterical! Being 6' myself, and having been since at least 8th grade...I will have to remember that!

I did come across a micro cache recently that was nailed to a tree WAY above my reach. I did more than compromise it...I broke it. However I replaced the chain that I had broken and fashioned a stick with which to hang the micro back where it came from....and then LEFT the stick in a fairly obvious place for the next poor sap to come along...

This just in ... :huh:

I'm 6.1 and my wife is, well, let's just say, shorter than me. Yesterday, she removed the crock pot from the top shelf of the pantry. After she was done with it she set it on the counter. And it is still on the counter waiting for someone to put it back on the top shelf. See, this proves my point that shorties have it out for taller people. Somehow, it is our fault that they are short ... They can get something from high places when they need to or want to. However, because they are short, they are not responsible for putting it back.

PS-Excuse me while I put the crock pot back where it belongs. If I don't, she may never cook dinner again. :)

This issue really has nothing to do with being short or tall but with being lazy. I have an urban micro cache with is an altoids tin magnetically attached under a railing. It is set on it's side so that if yo get down close to the ground you can see just the edge of it. If you don't put it back exactly as you found it, it cannot be seen and is hidden up in the "U" of the railing. Nearly everytime someone has posted a DNF on it, I have go back to find that it was not put back the way I set it up.

The website has intructions to put it back EXACTLY as it was found in BIG FREAKING TYPE!"

It's not like I'm asking them to climb a tree or burrow into a hole. It's going back to the same place, why do they insist on changing the alignment by 90 degrees so that the next person can't find it?

I bagged a cache that was placed by boyscouts. It was a 5 gal pail about 10ft up a tree. Unless the post says bring a ladder or a friend or climbing gear then the owner should not blow a gasket about it being moved slightly. I had to use a stick to untie the MULTIPLE KNOTS holding this one up. I was able to retie it at head height. It added to the frustration of the coord being way off too!