Dragon Coin Update

Chaos A.D./aka Arlsdaddy

OK..just heard back from coin maker...here's the scoop please let me know how you all feel ASAP so I can get these ordered.

First off....they said they were a little concerned about having small gems for eyes...they may fall out over time. The way I see it, they'll be collected and taken care of so it shouldn't really matter. It's only about .30 cents per coin, so that won't affect the price. On to the questions for ya:

1. Keep the stones or just use red epoxy?

Also, I designed this coin with many options, which brought the price per coin up. I am only going to have 250 total made up. This will bring the coin price to roughly $10 each. I figure about $2 each added for shipping.

2. Is this too much for a first personal coin? Would you be willing to pay that?

I will post a pic of their proof when I get enough feedback to go ahead with this and pay at least the "down payment" for the proof. Until then, I can post my cheesy scanned copy of my doodles to give you an idea.

I have made a list of who wants a coin in the order of their posts. If it's a go, I'll post this for the first 100 coins with Paypal instructions.

Whadya think?

ok..some options:

sequencial numbering 001 to 250

diamond cut edged both sides

stones/gems

3-4 colors

shipping these to me is the kicker....they want $83 just to get them to me....

This is not final yet...I may not have the edge diamond cut put on...

coindraft125.jpg

Edited by Chaos A.D./aka Arlsdaddy

I'd say you're crazy to expect people to pay $10 for something they've never seen, but judging from the past I have a feeling I'd be wrong. Personally I want to see the mints art over your "cheesy scanned doodles" before I'd shell out that much. I'd have to be pretty darn impressed, too.

You also said you designed the coin with many options, but didn't say what any of them are. You're not giving much info here, so I don't know how you expect to get feedback.

Are the gems going to be embedded in the metal or are they going to be sticking out (glued on)? You're probably right that they'll all be collected, so it doesn't really matter if the mint thinks they would fall out. It's hard for something to fall apart when sitting in one place. ;) I saw go for the gems to make it different from other coins.

The diamon cut would likely take away from the coin. The coin is about you, not frills so don't let the add ons take away from what you are expressing wiht the coin. If the frills add to the things you are trying to say with the coin then ignore that advice.

The gems would be a first. Red Enamal isn't so bad either. Most will get collected, but some will be put in caches.

83 Bucks for shipping? Shop around. Maybe it's reasonable maybe it's not. I plan on shopping out about 20 places for my first coin. Mostly for the experience of it ,but I also want certain questions answered.

Edited by Renegade Knight
;) As for the design, I think that epoxy would look better. ;) As for the price, I believe that there are people that will pay for a new coin at whatever the price, and there will be people that refuse to pay high prices for a coin. Yes this is at the upper end of what a new coin should cost, unless you are using a precious metal. You aren't gonna win any personality contest by selling an overpriced coin. It just makes good sense to make them affordable for all interested. There are so many places to get coins made that shopping around is just good business, I am sure this coin is top of the line but is it such that it can't be made cheaper somewhere else? There are people out there that make coins and just give them away. :mad:

I chose this coin maker because I've seen their work, and I feel their quality is superior to some others I've seen. I may be wrong, but we'll see.

As far as epoxy over the gems, they mentioned that but also said that the gems might melt under it, plus bring the price per coin up. Don't think that's a good idea. They said they would check and get back to me on it, but don't know when.

sequencial numbering 001 to 250

diamond cut edged both sides

stones/gems

3-4 colors

shipping these to me is the kicker....they want $83 just to get them to me....

Numbering is something I think everyone likes. If you've got the money to pay for it I'd say go for it. Diamond cut edges usually tend to get tarnished quickly, which is something to think about. It looks great, but my SWAGS coin already had a bit of tarnish before I even got it and put it in an air tight case. 3-4 colors shouldn't be any extra charge... I got 5 colors free from coinsandpins.com (I'm not exactly sure why they discounted the one extra color, but I'm not complaining!). And I've already said that the gems sounds like a great idea.

And $83 for shipping??? :mad: That's highway robbery! Mine will only cost $32.00.

PS: Can you at least post your sketches?