Fun Competition!

How about some serious competition with a (small) prize for the winner?

We have an Idea for a friendly game and we are willing to put up a 1 year premium membership (for GC.com) (or if there is enough interest maybe we could get a disk for the prize) to the winner.

For the rules, we suggest the following:

1) There will be a 6 month time period to complete (as best as possible) the following Marker Type list.

2) You will need to get a picture of each type of Mark and include your GPSr in the picture. The GPSr must show the coordinates and the Date! If the GPSr can not be read then it will not count!

3) Only marks found after the start of the competition will count. This will start everyone on an even playing field.

4) Only one of each type will be applied to your total.

5) We will have a thread where you can post a link to the PID# of those you have found. (Try to post your finds in groups to help make it a bit easier to keep track of your finds.) Please let us know which type of mark you are submitting. (As in - PID# GQ0323 = V = stone monument, PID# GP0572 = 21 = airport beacon, PID# FS0759 = Q = chiseled square)

6) You may revisit previous finds and include them in your competition list of types. (Make sure your GPSr shows the date to get credit for it, though)

The marker type is listed just below the designation on the GC.com datasheets. Here is a link to a thread where we described how we use GSAK to find the different types in our area. Sorting marker types

Feel free to use what ever sorting method you prefer to get you the highest number of marker types.

How does Nov 1st sound as the starting date?

Will that give you enough time to get a game plan ready?

Is 6 months a good length of time to run the competition?

Any suggestions?

Are you interested?

Sound like fun?

The list of benchmark types...

01 = LONE TREE

02 = CONSPICUOUS ROCK

03 = MOUNTAIN PEAK

04 = ROCK PINNACLE

05 = ROCK AWASH

11 = PILING

12 = DOLPHIN

13 = LIGHTHOUSE

14 = NAVIGATION LIGHT

15 = RANGE MARKER

16 = DAYBEACON

17 = FLAG TOWER

18 = SIGNAL MAST

21 = AIRPORT BEACON

22 = AIRWAY BEACON

25 = RADAR ANTENNA

26 = SPHERICAL RADOME

27 = RADIO RANGE MAST

28 = LORAN MAST

41 = ANTENNA MAST

42 = RADIO/TV MAST

43 = RADIO/TV TOWER

44 = MICROWAVE MAST

45 = MICROWAVE TOWER

51 = TANK

52 = STANDPIPE TANK

53 = ELEVATED TANK

54 = WATER TOWER

55 = TOWER

56 = SKELETON TOWER

57 = LOOKOUT TOWER

58 = CONTROL TOWER

61 = POLE

62 = FLAGPOLE

63 = STACK

64 = SILO

65 = GRAIN ELEVATOR

66 = WINDMILL

67 = OIL DERRICK

68 = COMMERCIAL SIGN

69 = REGULATORY SIGN

70 = MONUMENT

71 = BOUNDARY MONUMENT

72 = CAIRN

73 = LOOKOUT HOUSE

74 = LARGE CROSS

75 = BELFRY

81 = GABLE

82 = FINIAL

83 = FLAGSTAFF

84 = LIGHTNING ROD

85 = CHIMNEY

86 = CUPOLA

87 = DOME

88 = OBSERVATORY DOME

89 = SPIRE

90 = CHURCH SPIRE

91 = CHURCH CROSS

92 = ANTENNA ON ROOF

93 = MICROWAVE ANTENNA ON BUILDING

94 = ROOFTOP VENTILATOR

95 = ROOFTOP BLOCKHOUSE

A = ALUMINUM MARKER

B = BOLT

C = CAP OF CAP-AND-BOLT PAIR

DA = ASTRO MARKER (USUALLY A DISK)

DB = BENCH MARK DISK

DD = SURVEY DISK

DE = TRAVERSE STATION DISK

DG = GRAVITY STATION DISK

DH = HORIZONTAL CONTROL DISK

DJ = TIDAL STATION DISK

DK = GRAVITY REFERENCE MARK DISK

DM = MAGNETIC STATION DISK

DO = NOT SPECIFIED OR SEE DESCRIPTION

DP = BASE LINE PIER

DQ = CALIBRATION BASE LINE DISK

DR = REFERENCE MARK DISK

DS = TRIANGULATION STATION DISK

DT = TOPOGRAPHIC STATION DISK

DU = BOUNDARY MARKER

DV = VERTICAL CONTROL DISK

DW = NOS HYDROGRAPHIC SURVEY DISK

DZ = AZIMUTH MARK DISK

E = EARTHENWARE POT

F = FLANGE-ENCASED ROD

G = GLASS BOTTLE

H = DRILL HOLE

I = METAL ROD

J = EARTHENWARE JUG

K = CLAY TILE PIPE

L = ABSOLUTE GRAVITY STATION PLUG

M = AMMO SHELL CASING

N = NAIL

O = CHISELED CIRCLE

P = PIPE CAP

Q = CHISELED SQUARE

R = RIVET

S = SPIKE

T = CHISELED TRIANGLE

U = CONCRETE POST

V = STONE MONUMENT

W = UNMONUMENTED

X = CHISELED CROSS

Y = DRILL HOLE IN BRICK

Z = SEE DESCRIPTION

This post brought to you by John & Shirley - 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

Artman, just having the GPSr show the date would work, since the idea behind that is to prevent using a log/post of a mark already found. You would then need to return to such marks and get updated shots of them.

Z15, if you have any suggestions that would help out the "Northern" folks we will be glad to listen.

This is all just a draft to get input from the benchmarkers and see if there is enough interest to carry forward.

John

Edited to add - If people would rather have a different Prize, as in paying for GSAK or something similar in price, just suggest away. :mad:

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

I'd be interested in this, but I too live in the Northeast. How about running this for a year, but take your best 6 months benchmarking, or something like that. Benchmarking with 2', 3', and even 4' of snow on the ground while fun (cabin fever sets in January/February), it is not for everyone.

BilboB,

We used to live in northern Indiana about 25 miles from the Michigan stateline, so we understand about the snow sticking around.

I don't know if I have enough fortitude to run it for a full year. How about a 2 month run (Nov. & Dec.)? You would have to hustle a bit more to get the ground marks before the heavy snows, but then you could switch to the intersection types (towers, beacons, tanks, etc.) of marks.

Z15,

Been checking and of those marker types IDed with letters (haven't got to the numbered ones yet) there is only at most 1/2 dozen in our county, and it is a big county!

John

12 = DOLPHIN

Dolphin?!? The resident dolphin is taken aback to know that some of his relatives are being used as benchmarks!

I don't even know what some of these things are! But, I am game!

It would certainly make an interesting database.

My Garmin Etrex does not show date and coordinates on the same screen. Would I have to submit two pictures for each benchmark? Can two people use the same benchmark?

Harry,

1 picture with the date and benchmark will work.

More than one person can log a benchmark on GC.com so I see no problem with more than one person logging a specific mark. Personally, I not nice enough to help the competition, so they would have to look for the same mark on their own. :lol:

Difficult Run,

It's an idea worth considering. If I don't muck up this first competition, I may give it a go.

John

I think your competition idea sounds intriguing. I'd like to participate.

Snow isn't a problem here in the San Francisco Bay Area, so whenever and for whatever duration works for me. (Now it's off to GSAK to see if there is a dolphin marker near me!)

Colleen

Harry refuses to be used as a benchmark!

I've started looking through my list of finds, and see 17 different types so far, though some I will not be able to get back to: A cupola in Nassau County, NY, of the Washington Monument. Oh,well.

A few of my finds have no type listed. :unsure: Is 1.5 miles across the river acceptable? I can get four or five that way. :huh: Empire State Building can be see from miles away! Hmm... I shall have to work on this!

Harry refuses to be used as a benchmark!

I've started looking through my list of finds, and see 17 different types so far, though some I will not be able to get back to:  A cupola in Nassau County, NY, of the Washington Monument.  Oh,well. 

A few of my finds have no type listed.  :unsure:  Is 1.5 miles across the river acceptable?  I can get four or five that way.  :D  Empire State Building can be see from miles away!  Hmm...  I shall have to work on this!

Mr. Harry Benchmark :huh: ,

I have a question...how close to the intersection station (ie the Empire State Building) is considered close enough for a surveyor? I remember the thread about the person logging the 'space needle' with a picture taken while driving down the interstate...

Shirley~

ab7a6f50-73d1-43c5-97dd-c138069d64a8.jpg

A photo taken from my cache Weehawken View.

KU3602

92 = ANTENNA ON ROOF

It is an intersection(?) station. Meant to be viewed from afar.

Distance is 2.3 miles.

Another example. 827e1737-38c9-40c1-b035-785bc171f6eb.jpg

KU4009 MANHATTAN GRANTS TOMB DOME

MARKER: 87 = DOME

And, same picture

KU4022 MANHATTAN RIVERSIDE BAP CH TWR

MARKER: 55 = TOWER

Taken from North Bergen, probably 3 or 4 miles

I really should go back to Riverside. Neither of these has been logged in NGS since 1932!

Whatcha think, Shirley?

If that is the distance a surveyor would use the marks then the ruling old fart say it's Okay. Just don't tell Shirley I said that! :unsure:

John

I thought that was the whole point of intersection stations — that they can be seen from miles away.

But it is a good question: to what extent is this long-distance triangulation still done?

-ArtMan-

Once upon a time when we did survey projects that used intersection stations (last time was in the late 70's) we observed all we could see from the main stations but sent a man out the next day to get all the details possible for it. Description, To Reach, ownership, height, type of construction etc. Back in those days there were no webs sites for this info and we had to contact the owners, when possible.

If we could not get the info or the site was restricted we mentioned in the description that the site was not visited.

Also, all existing stations were position confirmed to be sure the station was the very same. I recall we found an antenna that was not in the very same location because they erected a new antenna next to existing one and without the survey data, you would likely not know it was not the same. Granted, they are not going to move historical landmarks but never say never.

There is a water tank landmark here that was built (fire protection was inadequate with the old tank) to resemble the original tower and on the same location, albeit 50 ft apart. Reason was the Nat'l Park forced them to. Along comes the USPSQS and they have no idea they tank they keep reporting is an imposter.

PS-Worked for state dot but the surveys were for NGS mark densification.

Edited by Z15

But it is a good question: to what extent is this long-distance triangulation still done?

-ArtMan-

ArtMan,

Good question again, these intersection stations are probably used by 0-5% of surveyors in this day and age. They had their use and time, but now with GPS there are very few surveyors who would actually use them.

That is one reason why I sometimes grin about the very opionated and serious discussions on the reporting of these stations. Other than as a historical item, mostly they are not used.

CallawayMT

I really love all of the history behind the Surveying profession. The 'go to descriptions' of some of the marks that we have found, are truly amazing. If it were not for the coordinates along with the topo maps...we would find it very hard to determine which trail to which ranch (if it still exists) to take. Here is a sample of what I am talking about.

HO0458 - BUCKSKIN

The Surveyors and the Miners of old, were a very tough breed it seems...

I understand the reason that all of those tall buildings were used because of the ability to triangulate from point to point. Why were 'buried' glass jars and earthen ware used? That would seem to be rather difficult for any other surveyor to have gone back to reuse.

(I know...another dumb question from me) but, I find it hard to guess 'the why' on these buried marks.

Shirley~

Shirley,

There is no glass mentioned in BUCKSKIN mark you mentioned, but many subsurface marks, (those set several feet below an intersection/triangulation station) are glass bottles or some other "unique" items that would not be confused with a natural occurence.

Examples:

1) Top of a soda bottle

2) Top of an earthen jug

3) Nail set in a concrete mass, etc.

However, I did find the 1972 recovery of Buckskin interesting....

"FOUND BY HELICOPTER"

Could they read the disk from waaaay up there??

- Mitch -