Canine Cachers Coin 2nd Edition

Kealia

Here's our problem. We intended the Canine Cachers Coin to be series honoring the different breeds of dogs that we all cache with (the first in the series was a Shepherd since that's what Hula Bum and I have).

As we started packaging up the orders last night we were talking about the VERSION 2 coin (artwork already in production) and now we're torn about whether or not to do it. WHY?

There are LOTS and lots of coins out there now and nobody has unlimited funds to buy them all, but the coin was designed as a series (thus the wording on the first coin of "1st edition").

We don't want to saturate the market with coins, but it seems strange to have a coin out there marked as "1st edition" with no second edition, either.

We're thinking about just doing one more to "complete the series" and then dropping it, but want to get opinions on whether or not to proceed with the second edition at all.

Sure, some will say "make it and it will sell" but we don't want to create another coin just for the heck of it. If there's desire for it, we will, if not - we won't.

I'm thinking that if we do, we'll drop the quantity to either 250 or 300 (down from 500 on the 1st edition). The thinking is that many people may just want 1 of these to complete the set vs. buying multiples.

Yes, we could go ahead with production and count on the fact that some will feel compelled to buy it to complete the set, but that's doesn't feel right.

So, let's hear thoughts on the subject. Post here or PM/email me if you don't want your opinion public.

Aloha.

NOTE: This is for opinions only NOT pre-orders! IF the coin moves forward a new thread with the artwork and ordering instructions will posted in a week or so (based on work scheudle, etc.)

I appreciate your consideration for not wanting to flood the market with new coins, but if this is a project that you really want to pursue, go for it! :D

I personally like the idea of a canine cachers series (being Cache-Hounds, of couse we'll like anything dog-related! :D ) and would like to see more of these coins - quarterly would be great! One suggestion is to send an e-mail to those who ordered the first edition so that they don't miss out on part of the series.

But, ultimately, it should be whatever you feel comfortable doing.

By the way, the pictures look great - can't wait to see these in person... :mad:

I vote for no schedule based on the calendar.

When the market is hot, you can go into production as soon as people are clamoring for them. When the market is slow, you can take your time and choose the design, then go into production as schedule and demand fit, or decide not to do the next edition. (You'll have to do the 2nd edition, of course)

Just my 2 cents.

We're voting for a coin that represents the floppy-ears of the world to go along with the pointy-ears coins that we have coming already. That would make a great matched set!

(Drool is optional, of course.)

sarhound, K9 Miss Molly Maguire, and K9 Zander (the floppy-ear members of the team.)

Well Ihave to tell you that I am glad you have started to re-think this since the AKC recognizes over 150 breeds B) .

Even though I will continue to buy coins, this is one of those that you have to wonder "what does this coin really have to do with Geocaching"? I realize that the dogs go where you go when you cache, but so do our kids, wives, girlfriends,significant others and cohabitators.

So at what point do we start minting coins for every make of vehicle that is used for caching ;) ?

Nothing personal, but I say end the series asap and do a coin geocaching related.

We're voting for a coin that represents the floppy-ears of the world to go along with the pointy-ears coins that we have coming already. That would make a great matched set!

(Drool is optional, of course.)

sarhound, K9 Miss Molly Maguire, and K9 Zander (the floppy-ear members of the team.)

Sounds like a vote for the Basset Hound coin to me. ;)

How did I miss this coin? Perhaps my eyes have glazed over from the relentless onslaught of new geocoins? ;)

I like the idea of making the coins annual. And I very much agree with Damenace about on emphasizing the geocaching aspect.

What if once a year you took nominations and then voted for the dog(s) and owner(s) to put on the coin? Make it a celebration of the companionship and teamwork. It also lets many cachers get personally involved by nominating and/or voting, and at the end there's a real story behind the coin. That sets it apart from the "because people will buy it" coins.

...What if once a year you took nominations and then voted for the dog(s) and owner(s) to put on the coin? Make it a celebration of the companionship and teamwork. It also lets many cachers get personally involved by nominating and/or voting, and at the end there's a real story behind the coin. That sets it apart from the "because people will buy it" coins.

I like where you are going with that.

How 'bout dedicating the next version to the lowly mutt? I know two Biggeeks that would encourage me to buy some ;)

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" - ASPCA

What he said! I've got three "rescued" dogs. As far as E-mailing to those that have series 1, it should be opened to all and let the trading begin!

Couple of quick answers:

1) What does this have to do with caching? It represents a group of cachers (those who cache with thier dogs). I don't see it as any different than the Jeep Club coins (name may be a bit off), or any other group coin for that matter. A coin representing a group of people - the only difference is that they may be more geographically dispersed.

2) Will we email previous buyers? Nope. Open market - as one stated "let the trading begin"

3) When to do it? Seems to be mixed. Some say quarterly, some say yearly, some say jsut go ahead and do it (based on thread posts plus emails received).

Think I'll wait just a bit longer and see a few more opinions.

I don't see it as any different than the Jeep Club coins (name may be a bit off), or any other group coin for that matter. A coin representing a group of people - the only difference is that they may be more geographically dispersed.

There is a humongous differance between these two ideas. the Jeep club is not looking to mint a coin with differant models of Jeeps to represent what every one drives.

Please don't get me wrong, I would still buy the coin :mad: .

My vote is for a dachshund coin. Moun10Bike has two dachshunds so I think it'd be fitting. :mad:

I think the best thing would be to make the coin a quarterly issue.

I think the next one should be a mutt or a Lab. Just because one person has a particular breed, there is no need to fall all over making the next coin "fitting".

And for those who might wonder, I don't have a dog.

[edit--spelling]

Edited by Shop99er

I second the thought for a Weinerdog...I never had a chance to cache with my Heather, but she would have been great at it!

As for frequency...I think as long as you are having fun making and distributing the coins, do them when the muse slaps you upside the head... :mad:

I like the idea of letting the "trading begin". That way if someone has a extra series 1 but doesn't get in on the series 2 and I get several series 2 coins, then we can swap one for the other and both be happy.

I also like the quartly idea and would like to vote for a basset hound.

I would diffinetly buy at least 2, maybe more.

Edited by AZPAUL
I say dont flood the market, maybe twice a year.

Black labs are my favorite, but any dog is a bigdawg :lol: .

If it's 4 times a year and 4 different coins, how is that flooding the market? I love this 1st series so much that by January, I'd love to be reciving the second series soon.

Geocrickets, answer my email reply. Those were not on your list.