Gpsmap 76c

horses11

I got my new 76C and tried updating it (ver.4.00 June 20th 05) I did the down load then it said to unzip it.

I did that and it said unziped, but I can't find it anywere on the computer?,also my Winzip says your trial version is over.

I looked in my temporary folders and download folders with no luck.

I was thinking Winzip is free like Adobe reader?

Can anyone help with my update? :mad:

Thanks (horses11)

I did a Google search and found this site where you can get an old version of WinZip if the new version has to be purchased.

Old Versions

What I do when I am dowloading programs is put them into a folder I created called "Download Files." Then, in that folder, I have another one called "_Unzip." Putting the underscore in front of it puts the folder at the top.

When I unzip a program, I make sure it goes into that "_Unzip" folder. That way I can find it . . . :D

After I have installed the program, I delete it from the "_Unzip" folder so it is empty the next time I need to use it. :mad:

I did a Google search and found this site where you can get an old version of WinZip if the new version has to be purchased.

Old Versions

What I do when I am dowloading programs is put them into a folder I created called "Download Files." Then, in that folder, I have another one called "_Unzip." Putting the underscore in front of it puts the folder at the top.

When I unzip a program, I make sure it goes into that "_Unzip" folder. That way I can find it . . . :D

After I have installed the program, I delete it from the "_Unzip" folder so it is empty the next time I need to use it. :D

Well I down loaded a older version,tried to use it and it said Winzip is not free?

I use Windows XP and it has a folder downloaded files nothing in it?.

:mad::mad::D:(:mad::)

That's weird. I have an older version of WinZip on my computer running Windoze 2000. Plus I also have an older version of Stuffit that still works after a 10-second nag screen . . .

I don't know what Windoze XP has in the Registry. There might be an entry in their that won't allow you to install WinZip. There are other programs out there that do the same thing. Do a Google Search and see if you can find a free utility.

Also, you might try a Registry cleaner to get entries about WinZip out of there before trying to install it again.

Check out Fred Langa's site for information about Registry cleaners.

Edit to fix link code . . . :mad:

Edited by Miragee

xp automatically asks you if you want to unzip after a download.....uninstall winzip, then go and download again..........When you download it will give you a window asking to what folder you want to download to...pick a folder you know or just download to the desktop...upon completion of the downolad, xp will ask if you want to unzip...say yes.

I thought XP had a built-in zipped file extraction wizard. Try downloading the zipped file to your desktop and right-click on it. The menu window should display "Extract all.." as an option.

Good Luck, Olar

I uninstalled Wizip downloaded again,did the right click but nothing about Extract all

Only......open or run as.... and when I click on one of them I get a box Winzip self-Extractor GPSMAP 76C 400.exe

;)B)B);)

xp automatically asks you if you want to unzip after a download.....uninstall winzip, then go and download again..........When you download it will give you a window asking to what folder you want to download to...pick a folder you know or just download to the desktop...upon completion of the downolad, xp will ask if you want to unzip...say yes.

I downloaded again had it sent to a folder I wanted,but after downloading it didn't ask to unzip it. ;)

But right clicking again and looking somemore I see send to.... compressed(ZippedFolder) did that and it made a new folder with a zipper on it GPSMAP76C_400 asking to unzip it, I think I unzipped it (but not sure) as it made another folder GPSMAP76C_400

But when I double click on it, it just takes me back to the original downloaded folder with a compression icon on it.

how can I find out if it did update my 76C?,I had my 76C on at the time but it didn't seem to do anything?

Is there a way to check what version is on my 76C?

This thing is driving me crazy.

horses11 B)B);)B)

But when I double click on it, it just takes me back to the original downloaded folder with a compression icon on it.

Ok! I think we might be getting close. Double click on the file with the compression icon. You should see this window pop-up:

58d67f6d-8fbb-4f26-ae15-89e83ab1fa69.jpg

Now make a new folder in your "my documents" and name it whatever you wish. Browse to that folder and click on it so that it's name appears in the "Unzip to folder:" box. Now click on "Unzip".

Go to the folder you made and you should see 3 files in it that look like this:

9a2274d3-3f78-4d52-a531-dcb382cd3315.jpg

Make sure your 76C is connected and then double-click on "Updater". This will now do the version upgrade for you.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Olar

Ok! I think we might be getting close. Double click on the file with the compression icon. You should see this window pop-up:

58d67f6d-8fbb-4f26-ae15-89e83ab1fa69.jpg

Now make a new folder in your "my documents" and name it whatever you wish. Browse to that folder and click on it so that it's name appears in the "Unzip to folder:" box. Now click on "Unzip".

Go to the folder you made and you should see 3 files in it that look like this:

9a2274d3-3f78-4d52-a531-dcb382cd3315.jpg

Make sure your 76C is connected and then double-click on "Updater". This will now do the version upgrade for you.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Olar

:D:DB)B);)B)

That did the trick,waching the screen on my GPSr it changed and said loader.

Thank you,thank you (Olar) ;)B)B)

Still wondering is there a way to check what version is on the 76C?

horses11 :D