Scam Alert Compass Rose Coin

Napoleon_Dynamite

Doesn't sound like a scam, just an over zealous E-bayer that thinks their coin is worth conserably more then it is. Most people here on the forums have a good sense as to what geocoins are really worth. E-bay brings out the suckers, and that seller is hoping to find one. :)

I was floored to see a Compass Rose coin for a buy it now price of $50 when you can order one from CnP for $8 here:http://coinsandpins.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ACP&Category_Code=Comp-rose

Unbelievable

Scam?

If I go to the "Ma and Pa" store on the street corner and notice that the prices are higher than the prices at Wal-Mart, does that make everything in the "Ma and Pa" store a scam?

I was floored to see a Compass Rose coin for a buy it now price of $50 when you can order one from CnP for $8 here:http://coinsandpins.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ACP&Category_Code=Comp-rose

Unbelievable

Scam?

If I go to the "Ma and Pa" store on the street corner and notice that the prices are higher than the prices at Wal-Mart, does that make everything in the "Ma and Pa" store a scam?

Not at all, but if that ma and pa store sold gas at 4.00 a gallon recently the State Attorney General would be looking at charging them with price gouging.

Unbelievable

Scam?

Not at all, but if that ma and pa store sold gas at 4.00 a gallon recently the State Attorney General would be looking at charging them with price gouging.

and we think we are doing well if we can get it at £4 a gallon!!! (just over $7)

Unbelievable

Scam?

No, but if a store was selling say a Garmin 60CS or a Meridian Color at a super low price for like $100, dont you think that you would tell some of your friends?

The Compass Rose sold out a long time ago. Anyways, if someone pays $62 then thats his problem. Most people buy two of each and either trade or sell. Can you imagine what that coin will sell for in a year or two? I would not pay it, but theres lots of people that would. It's not a scam, if it is then ebay is all a scam because most of that you can buy somewhere else and cheaper.

Unbelievable

I'll pass. The CoinsAndPins "ad" and the overdone reference that it's a "Geocoin" in the design is a turnoff to me. At least the names on personal geocoins are geocachers.

--Marc

October 22, 2005 @ 10:11 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

I'll pass. The CoinsAndPins "ad" and the overdone reference that it's a "Geocoin" in the design is a turnoff to me. At least the names on personal geocoins are geocachers.

For what it's worth, the ones I have don't say coins and pins on them at all. (I think that was added for people stealing their images).

Unbelievable

--Marc

October 22, 2005 @ 10:11 AM

Are you talking about the information on their website that is accessed via the "Compass Rose Coins" link? I didn't see much else on their site referencing it until going specifically to that page.

The site has become a one-stop shopping spot for trackable geocoins at geocaching.com. And this coin is trackable with its own icon to boot. It seems to me that the coin represents something more than just a coin maker tossing another coin into the mix - no more so than a geocoin club. After all, the owners/operators are geocachers.

For what it's worth, the ones I have don't say coins and pins on them at all. (I think that was added for people stealing their images).

Thanks for the note. That their company logo isn't part of the coin is nice to know - but they should remove it from the picture though, since it turned off at least one buyer (me) until I found out otherwise from another source (you).

I also have a problem with it being called a "geocoin" right on the coin. Why not just "Compass Rose" ? They're trying to play up its value, in my opinion, but that isn't necessary.

Anyway, aside from the fact that there will likely be 1000s of them out there over time, I'll buy one for the display rack!

--Marc

October 22, 2005 @ 10:58 AM

Thanks for the note. That their company logo isn't part of the coin is nice to know - but they should remove it from the picture though, since it turned off at least one buyer (me) until I found out otherwise from another source (you).

I also have a problem with it being called a "geocoin" right on the coin. Why not just "Compass Rose" ? They're trying to play up its value, in my opinion, but that isn't necessary.

Anyway, aside from the fact that there will likely be 1000s of them out there over time, I'll buy one for the display rack!

--Marc

October 22, 2005 @ 10:58 AM

Available October 23rd! Only a few left. The 2005 coin will be discontinued once this batch is sold out.

"CoinsAndPins.com" is etched on the coin photo above as an example of how well etching fits on the coin.

I am beginning to feel like their PR rep. :mad:

Unbelievable

Scam?

True, but I don't agree with that either. "Price Gouging" (the popular word with politicians) is simply nothing more than the market at work. When the government tries to fix prices, other problems can develop.

Just because the government has a problem with someone's price doesn't mean the government is right to do something about it. This isn't the only issue where the government has "good intentions" and still managed to create other problems with their actions.

QUOTE (SharpShin' @ Oct 21 2005, 06:11 PM)

See this ebay auction for the Compass Rose coin - Won for $62.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compass-Rose-Geocachin...1QQcmdZViewItem

I haven't even received mine yet. 

John 

Congrats to ditchdoctor, you could have gotten 7 coins for that price . 

I think "scam" is a harsh word for this situation.

If you go sell a service, and take the money and run, then the label will fit.

However, if you list something on ebay, someone buys it, and you send the item to them, there is no scam here. Both parties entered the transaction of their own free will, and both parties got what they considered fair compensation.

If you can find a better deal online, well, good for you, you are a better shopper. Just don't ridicule other people for not being as savvy as you are.

Vote for Pedro.

Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

Napoleon_Dynamite Posted: Oct 21 2005, 03:16 PM 

Tadpole

Unbelievable

thanks ND I ordered some extra for the Uk without having to pay the inflated prices.