What Is The Most Valuable Coin?

bikedog

Well, that Johny Lacy coin sold on ebay for something like $700. I doubt a GD coin would top that.

It might if it was also for charity.

I have to admit, it's cool when you can do something like that. My wife and I did it once (back when we had money...) for a charity christmas tree. The women who decorated the tree had to come out and meet us they were so shocked the three went for as much as it did. It was fun. It also helped drive up prices on the other items. I think the competition spured things a bit.

M10B Coins have to be the most "valuable" because they are priceless. After all, they are the "first" GeoCoin ever created. The only way to get one is to go on a 20 mile hike up and down 3 mountains with him, or trade for a personal coin...

I opted for the trade, myself....

M10B was the 1st ever to place unique coins in special caches. The M10B coin, to me, represents the epitomy of geocaching excellence. M10B was kind enough to share his collection and I have seen and logged the original. #001. A special coin and no doubt, priceless.

I'd love to have a moun10bike v1, but likely never will.

So I suppose my most valuable coin is my own! -- the geobone. It has the most meaning for me.

Then, there are all the coins I have traded directly with the creators for (including a moun10bike v2). They mean a lot to me because it's the connection to the other cachers out there.

Honestly, I'd rather have a Kootney Pirates wooden nickle that was left in one of my caches that they liked than a coin I paid $200 for (not that I would). That said, if anyone wants to leave a mount10bike v1 in one of my caches -- feel free!

The only way to get one is to go on a 20 mile hike up and down 3 mountains with him, or trade for a personal coin...

I walked a mile up the side of a steep hill in snowshoes in avalanche conditions and found one of those. One guy fell through the snow up to his armpits in a attempt to get it a week earlier before I found it

(I opted to fly to Seattle and hike for my V2 coin-  how did I get my V1? I'll never tell!)

You have a V1 now? You been holdin' out on us, mate... (tapping hand with iron pipe) :o

:)

You must have missed the announcement not too long ago.... and look who's talkin' :)

For historical value, M10B v.1 is likely near or at the top of the list. For emotional value, I can see M10B v.2 up there since many of them were handed off in person by the man himself. For example, I received a Pepper Geocoin from Pepper herself during the Project APE trip in Washington State, so for me, that coin has significance.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the GeoNap Coins yet. I don't have one, and that's another one I'd like to find in a cache someday (yeah riiight).

I rank the Washington Geocoin (2004 and 2005) very high based on aesthetic value. The Santa Cruz Geocoin is ranked high for that reason, too.

Edited by budd-rdc
You must have missed the announcement not too long ago.... and look who's talkin'  :)

Yeah, that was back in February I believe :o .

Hmm, GeoNap, I got one of those a LONG time ago before this thing went crazy......cool. I think that was the first coin I got that had the GC logo on it.

Ah. memories.......

Edited by kealia
You must have missed the announcement not too long ago.... and look who's talkin'  :D

Yeah, that was back in February I believe :mad: .

Hmm, GeoNap, I got one of those a LONG time ago before this thing went crazy......cool. I think that was the first coin I got that had the GC logo on it.

Ah. memories.......

Geonap coins were the first in this area. I have found a few :D I only have the keeper now though. It was/is highly coveted by us locals (he doesn't have one of my coins yet, I am making him sweat a little!). I left work one morning when I saw a cache go active with his coin in it. It was a 30 minute drive, and a 30 minute hike (should've been a 10 minute hike but I was in a hurry :mad: ). When I got back to log the find online, I discovered I was FTF by about 10 minutes!

I like the WA coins a lot, but I think there are enough of them minted so that every geocacher can eventually have one :mad:

I think it's a pretty clear consensus that Moun10Bike V1 coins are the most highly coveted coin. I place a lot of value on trades made for, and finds of coins by cachers I've met (including Moun10Bike, Geonap and Pepper!)

I don't believe there is the most valuable coin because it is what one person thinks not every geocacher out there. The most valuable coin is what you have in your collection that is most precious to you.

Um....that's the point of this thread, isn't it? To gather opinions on the most valuable coin (based on what people want).

My most valuable coin is a Washington 2004 that Nurse Dave placed in a cache up along a cool ridge in the Bay Area. It was the first non USA geocoin that I had found in a cache and the first into my collection. I had missed out on one of the same vintage that Kealia had placed in his Where's the pancakes cache afew weeks earlier. I left work while coming down with a nasty case of flu and drove 25 miles one way with 3000 feet of elevation to get it. Once out there I spent a good hour freaking out because my gps was bouncing over 500 feet in the woods, I initially searched over 1000 feet away ;) It was an awesome feeling to open the ammo can cache and see the coin sitting there as a FTF prize. That doesn't happen too much out here anymore.

Johnnie Lacy geocoin

If it's not currently one of the most valuable, it soon will be near the top of the list. Rather than placing his coins in the cache now, he leaves a laminated card (I know cause I found one yesterday --- a little hint for anyone trying to find one in a cache).

On the card is a website link and a code word. You have to go to the website, enter the cache name where the card was found and submit the code word. As long as you're not a previous finder of one of his coins, he'll then mail you the geocoin. If you've already found one, you're SOL.

He said he implemented this method to spread the coins around to many different people and also so the same cachers wouldn't be able to get duplicates.

Edited by AtlantaGal
Johnnie Lacy geocoin

If it's not currently one of the most valuable, it soon will be near the top of the list. Rather than placing his coins in the cache now, he leaves a laminated card (I know cause I found one yesterday --- a little hint for anyone trying to find one in a cache).

On the card is a website link and a code word. You have to go to the website, enter the cache name where the card was found and submit the code word. As long as you're not a previous finder of one of his coins, he'll then mail you the geocoin. If you've already found one, you're SOL.

He said he implemented this method to spread the coins around to many different people and also so the same cachers wouldn't be able to get duplicates.

That's a great idea! ;)

That's a great idea! ;)

I even looked for loopholes. For instance, since I techincally didn't find my johnnie coin in a cache, was I elligible. Um no. Well, then could I take the card and give it to another cacher to claim the coin. Um no again... the finder of the card has to have actually found and logged the cache where the card was left.

Oh well.

If anyone in GA is reading who wants a johnnie coin, you have to check out the 8 caches I found yesterday B)