Law Enforcement Security Bulletin

martinell

So as not to confuse anybody, I really do think that the thread that I am referencing is an out and out lie. I certainly don't want to misrepresent.

This may have been discussed before, however I was curious as to the validity of the claims made. I did some digging after I read about reference made to this in a different post.

Check out the link at:

http://www.forums.vividracing.com/showpost...673&postcount=9

Basically it says that geocachers are dangerous people who hide pipe bombs as they play a "dangerous internet game."

They further claim that at least 4 people have been blown up by bombs removed from caches.

Would be interested to here the take on this from others: esp. the law enforcement people who also geocache.

Edited by martinell
Basically it says that geocachers are dangerous people who hide pipe bombs as they play a "dangerous internet game."

Wrong

They didn't say that anywhere in the briefing. Here is what they actually said, "Even though they call it a game, this device could actually be converted into an actual IED with minimum knowledge by someone playing a prank.

They further claim that at least 4 people have been blown up by bombs removed from caches.

I didn't read that anywhere in the briefing. Either you read a different briefing, other than what you posted, or you misconstrued what was actually said.

Edited by Kit Fox

Sorry, the complete link didn't post. :lol:

http://www.forums.vividracing.com/showthread.php?t=17434

It is certainly not my intent to stir up any controversy or misrepresent. I read all of the posts, however I found the "actual" bulletin to be the most interesting.

Hopefully you can now view the full post.

Once again I do not want to misrepresent - that's why I am asking for opinions.

I just opened the entire thread. I looked at what this bozo posted, and his credibilty was instantly gone, in my book.

"just a word of advice. geocashing has been deemed a crime on the premice that the containers are very similar in design to a pipe bomb.

there have already been 4 instances on a cash turning out to be a pipe bomb, and exploding. let alone the drug trafficing that has been going on with this."

This guy is an idiot and doesn't know what he is talking about.

Edited by Kit Fox

There's no complete bulletin there. You were just quoting some generic forum poster and making it sound like it was coming from the bulletin.

I was just noting that you posted a link to a thread that was dated a year ago today. I can't guess why you would post it now so I wanted to point out the age of it for those who missed it. I almost did.

For the record, I've been geocaching since 2001, and active in these forums the entire time. I have never heard of a single bomb ever being disguised as a geocache nor has anyone ever been hurt by one. There have, however, been many instances of geocaches being blown up by bomb squads that *thought* it was a bomb.

I've been involved in many different sports and clubs. I've found that geocachers as a group are much more law-abiding and environmentally-conscious than most people. Of course there are always bad-apples, but in geocaching, they tend to do childish stuff like stealing or defecating in caches. But planting bombs? I don't think so.

I've found that geocachers as a group are much more law-abiding and environmentally-conscious than most people.

Great. I have been really enjoying this since I got into it a couple of months ago. I asked for the opinion and I got it - I found apparently bad info that had been discussed before. For that I offer my apology as I typically strive very hard to verify my sources. This was just such a nasty (to me) subject that I just had to make sure that it was a hoax or misinformation. Upon review of my original post I realize that my knee-jerk reaction was worded a bit to harshly.

And THANK YOU Jeremy & Company for providing us with such an outstanding game!

I live in this area. I have not heard anything about it on the news talk radio or in any other news media.

Although, I can understand some one freaking out if they accidentally find a pipe or more often a pvc pipe with camo on it. Mistaking it for an explosive. After all, it is post 911.

It's a shame isn't it?

-Jeff