What's The Best Battery?

OttoLund

What NiMH battery brand and model lasts for at least two years with hundreds of recharges without loosing performance?

If you've found this "state of the art" battery, what charger model do you use and do you recharge the batteries fast or slow?

To learn more about batteries:

What's the best battery? from The Battery University

For the GPS it's rechargable NiMH

My own favorite cache in the middle of Norway :lol:

Edited by OttoLund
Hm.  Member a little over a year...good.

5 cache finds...good start

5 cache hids....okay, so the ratio's a little strong, but okay.

No forum posts during that year...no prob.

Two new threads in the same day...welcome to the forums.

Thank you.

Regards :)

Edited by OttoLund

Very good, and my apologies for my suspicions. The wording of your first post seemed a little commercial to me, but I initially dismissed it. When the second thread opened with virtually the same topic, that's what sent up the red flags in my mind. A lot of it has to do with forum etiquite, which you will learn in time here, and people (maybe with kinder tounges than I) will help you out as you learn. A wise man once said "Trust.....but verify." Given that you had been a member for over a year and were now posting to the forums, I didn't really think you were a spammer or business, but wanted to make sure before someone flamed you.

As for the battery issue, I use a 12v adapter in my vehicles, and switch to battery power only when out searching a cache, so two AA's can last me literally months. I have considered switching to a rechargeable, either alkaline, NiMh or Li but have a few other things higher up on my wish list before I get to that. Still have a set of the old Renewal rechargable alkalines that went through probably thousands of recharge cycles, still work fine.

A bit off-topic, Norway is one of the FEW countries I would like to leave the US to visit. I'm 1/4 Norwegian, and lutefisk and lefse are staples at family gatherings (neither of which I can stand, but that's another thing) The area I grew up in has a very strong Scandenavian/Dutch heritage, and my old next-door neighbor (and boss in HS) actually immigrated from Norway. Built his home in traditional Norwegian style and everything. Hope to see the country......someday....

dkwolf, you're welcome. I hope you'll make the trip to Norway soon.

I love lutefisk and lefse, make the lutefisk dinner myself, with mustard sauce, fried bacon cubes, green pea stew, potatoes, aquavit and good beer.

I have relatives in many US states, after emigrants from Norway. I've planned to visit as many as possible, together with some or all of my children, time will show.

And I most likely will use NiMH batteries if I go geocaching over there.

Regards :)

Edited by OttoLund
Here is a page that rates different NiMH batteries. Top of the line was the Enigizer 2300 followed by the Powerex. Powerex have done extremely well for me. A GPS uses nothing compared to some Digital Cameras that this chart was developed for.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Have a look.

Unfortunately, that article's 3 years old. It doesn't even list any 2400 mAh batteries. But it does confirm what I've suspected about the Ray-o-vac 15 minute charger - that it doesn't give a full charge, regardless of how long you leave it in the charger.

anyone tried the NiMh 3300's that you use in RC cars? I know the difference between 1900's and 3300's is huge in my RC. From what I am told at the local hobby store is that the number one battery (for RC anyway) is from Sanyo. They have the best "built" battery which gives even performance and longevity. I haven't tried them out in the GPS but really should. It would require me to go and get some i guess.

anyone tried the NiMh 3300's that you use in RC cars? I know the difference between 1900's and 3300's is huge in my RC. From what I am told at the local hobby store is that the number one battery (for RC anyway) is from Sanyo. They have the best "built" battery which gives even performance and longevity. I haven't tried them out in the GPS but really should. It would require me to go and get some i guess.

3300mAh? Does someone make a AA battery at that rating? :)

I use a 12 volt adapter when in my car and switch to battery power when actually caching. I don't really worry about how long they last since I use the Energizer 15 minute rechargables. The unit came with 4 batteries so I always have a fully charged set along with me in my bag if the ones I'm using get low. Additionally the unit has a 12 volt adapter that plugs into the auxilliary (or cigarette lighter) plug in my truck and allows me to charge the batteries in a mere 15 minutes when away from normal power sources. I also carry a spare pair of regular AA batteries. It's really a minimal amount of space and weight to deal with. I LOVE that Energizer 15 minute charger! (Just be sure you only use it with the right type of batteries.)

I've been using the Maha401F with PowerX 2300's for over a year. I just switched to the Energizer 2500 batteries . They seem to have just a marginal improvement in longevity over the PowerX's, but the 2300's are well used now. The charger is fantastic! I just leave it plugged in in my truck with 4 fully charged batteries ready at any time.

DITTO on the 'Energizer' rechargeable nickle metal hydride - use for days between charges if I use the car charger while on the road. They have saved me so much in battery costs that if they failed now, it would be well worth it.

When used in my old Garmin Legend, had to replace them during a single trip. In the new 60CS, I never have to replace them before I am done & I do 24-hour non-stop cache hunts, regularly.

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

I've used the Ray-O-Vac 15-minute chargers with Ray-O-Vac 15-min NiMH batteries for two years; I'm a free-lance photographer and my wife is a full-time newspaper reporter/photographer; we both use them in cameras (except my Canon Rebel, which won't let me) and strobes, and I use them in assorted audio gear, recording devices, preamps, etc. We recharge at least two sets of four every day. Never had a failure yet, though I wish I'd kept track of the number of charges (how?) so I'll know which ones are marginal when one fails. We have six sets of four altogether, and three chargers, one for each car and one for the house. The charger has a fan in it to cool the batteries. I see Eveready has a similar unit now, but I've not tried it. I don't have any connection to any battery company--just a happy user. It's great to be dead certain that you have fully-charged batteries.

Dave Bovee, Saline, MI dbovee@sigmaplastronics.com