Congratulation Threads

Moote

Without having a dig at anyone. Please consider what a individual congratulations thread might actualy mean to the recipient. Not everyone who goes caching is fit and healthy, some have disabilitys which are not visible. My daughter Dolly Girl who is 14, has misplaced bones in both feet which affects all the bones in her legs up to her knees. Meaning that walking any distance is painful, walking up and down hills aggravates this even more. Yet she is game for any cache I take her to whether it's on the flat or up and down hills. Every time she hits a mile stone it has involved a lot of pain for her, so all congratulations that she receives means a lot not just to her but to the rest of the family as well. If you do not like the individual congratulations threads, please don't read them, but at the same time please do not take away that special moment from my daughter and others like her. Geocaching in the UK is special due to the community spirit we have, lets keep it that way!

Dave

I am trying to bounce around ideas for doing this; so that the main Forum can function without Clutter

There are loads of threads on the forum that are not congrats threads that I would consider clutter.... I'm sure some people think they aren't, some think they are.....

Stuey

That is true but this rant of mine has got Lordelph busy looking at a solution by using Greasemonkey. Pray he comes up trumps soon then you can block all my treads out :lol:

Milton (aka Moote)

Without having a dig at anyone. Please consider what a individual congratulations thread might actualy mean to the recipient. Not everyone who goes caching is fit and healthy, some have disabilitys which are not visible. My daughter Dolly Girl who is 14, has misplaced bones in both feet which affects all the bones in her legs up to her knees. Meaning that walking any distance is painful, walking up and down hills aggravates this even more. Yet she is game for any cache I take her to whether it's on the flat or up and down hills. Every time she hits a mile stone it has involved a lot of pain for her, so all congratulations that she receives means a lot not just to her but to the rest of the family as well. If you do not like the individual congratulations threads, please don't read them, but at the same time please do not take away that special moment from my daughter and others like her. Geocaching in the UK is special due to the community spirit we have, lets keep it that way!

Dave

Dave

In no way am I attempting to remove peoples joy, I understand that people have different levels of fitness. What I am trying to get is

1) A consensus of opinion

2) A solution that meets the approval of the majority

3) A way of seeing the post that most count

What would it be like if eBay had no order to it? Finding things on there would be a nightmare.

What I'm saying is can't we find a better way of sorting posts into relevant categories, then we can choose where we want to look.

As caching grows then these post will take over the forums and then things will hit a head. If the issue is solved now then it would prevent that happening

Milton

Edited by Moote
A half way house option could be to have one thread per week for people to post their achivements and people to reply :-

Thread title each week could be something like :-

'Congratulation's posts - Week ending Fri 21st Oct'

Thanks lakeuk

Ideas, now that is just what I like to see.

Think I spotted you once lurking ~ 100m away when I was doing The Thermals near Orton

Moote

The thing I love most about this forum is how civilised and friendly everyone is. So congratulations to everyone for being the nicest forum that I use.

This isnt the busiest forum on the web and so the congratulations threads seem to stay on the front page longer than they might on a busier forum. The Ebay Q+A board for example,sometimes has similar "I`ve reached 100 feedbacks" threads and they are usually off of the front page within twenty minutes. The pat on the back is given and the thread disappears. Everyone is happy.

I could understand the problem if important topics were being lost off the front page because the congratulations threads were taking over. The last three threads on the front page (at the time of writing) have not had a post for three days. I don`t think anything is going un-noticed.

I`ve only to find a further 89 caches before I get my own 100 congrats thread.....please keep allowing them until then.

Dave

Think I spotted you once lurking ~ 100m away when I was doing The Thermals near Orton

Yep that was me - thought I was rumbled when I got to the gate but didn't want to go through it as it had a 'Beware the Bull' sign on it - out with the camera !!

Fellsmanhiker was in the same position as me on Sunday when trying to figure out how to get a cache without being seem by a muggle, then to add to it I come rushing past him, I left them to it and came back later.

keep it as it is nothing wrong with congragulating people if it gets put on the pinned thread then it gets lost in a load of other thanks and nobody will bother scrolling through them all at least the way it is you can see straight away who is being thanked

its quite nice to see who is achieving what if people dont want to see who as achieved what or dont want to congragulate them then dont look at that thread

i have congragulated people who i dont know but i dont see nothing wrong with that

keep it as it is nothing wrong with congragulating people if it gets put on the pinned thread then it gets lost in a load of other thanks and nobody will bother scrolling through them all at least the way it is you can see straight away who is being thanked

its quite nice to see who is achieving what if people dont want to see who as achieved what or dont want to congragulate them then dont look at that thread

i have congragulated people who i dont know but i dont see nothing wrong with that

Say that again but with commas and full stops. ;)

1000 views now :lol:

Edited by The Golem
What I'm saying is can't we find a better way of sorting posts into relevant categories, then we can choose where we want to look.

I may be wrong but this is the first time you have mentioned that this is what you are suggesting, were as at the start of this thread you were wanting a vote on whether congrats threads should be allowed to carry on the way they are at the moment.

Your suggestion has a lot more than just congrats threads to it, they would only fall into one of perhaps 6 - 10 different categories.

Having a greasemonkey filter system, is great in my opinion, I can then choose to filter out all the 'boring, long winded with big words that no one really understands' threads. So I am for that, everyone can keep the topics they like.

Going by your post above you would like to see the forum cut down into different subject categories, you have obviously never had experience of putting a suggestion towards Groundspeak, they won't entertain you in a month of Sunday's.

You would be better off going to another geocaching forum such as GeocacheUK's. were the threads are broken down into sub categories.

Say that again but with commas and full stops. :lol:

Something that happens far too many times on these forums is that people berate others for their grammar, please don't it's not nice, work round it and if you really feel the need to point it out to them, then surely a private email is a lot more polite?

Many of the threads in this forum are of no interest to me, for example threads about events I won't be going to, Pocket PC threads because I use a Palm, and so on.

I ignore them. I certainly wouldn't suggest that people shouldn't post those threads, or that they should be fenced off somewhere, just because they happen not to interest me.

A Greasemonkey script that let me ignore them would be an excellent tool, though!

Say that again but with commas and full stops. :o

Something that happens far too many times on these forums is that people berate others for their grammar, please don't it's not nice, work round it and if you really feel the need to point it out to them, then surely a private email is a lot more polite?

No offense was intended.

I'm tired and couldn't make sense of the post.

With hindsight I could have sent a pm.

Apologies... :)

Something that happens far too many times on these forums is that people berate others for their grammar

That wasn't a criticism of grammar, but of writing style. I sincerely doubt that anyone who can master a qwerty keyboard and spell "achieving" is incapable of using a full stop. If someone decides to make themselves stand out from the crowd by writing stylised prose, without punctuation and with deliberate mis-spellings, then they should not be surprised when they are criticised for doing so!

SOME PEOPLE CHOOSE TO WRITE IN ALL CAPITALS JUST LIKE OMITTING PUNCTUATION THIS STYLE OF WRITING IS FAR MORE DIFF

ICULT TO READ AND MAKES PEOPLE SPEND LONGER READING YOUR POST NOW WHILE THIS MAY ACTUALLY BE THE INTE

NDED EFFECT PEOPLE WHO TRY TO ATTRACT ATTENTION TO THE

MSELVES IN THIS MANNER ARE RIGHTLY CRITISISED AND ASKED TO WRITE IN A CONVENT

IONAL MANNER OUT OF CONSIDERATION FOR THOSE WHO THEY EXPECT TO READ WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY ITS NOT A QU

ESTION OF GRAMMAR BUT OF COURTESY

Just wanted to add that any Firefox/Greasemonkey users will soon be able to ignore the threads they don't want...got it 90% working justs needs a little finesse before releasing it!

Your good efforts I'm sure will be rewarded by all lordelph. I myself will buy you a pint of the finest liquid which you enjoy drinking.

Milton (aka Moote)

Why is it that whenever I go out for an afternoon and evening a topic boils over. I read the previous topic when I came in and had posted to it before I saw the diversion notice so will repeat what I wrote there:

I repeat my suggestion made when this was previously discussed - post congratulations here so people can know that milestones have been passed then close the topic and follow up congratulation can be posted on the pinned topic.

That way proper recognition can be given and those of us who get fed up every Monday ploughing through congratulations which keep being bumped to the top will be able to find the items of general interest as well.

I would only add that I agree to the idea that congratulations be offered at 100, 500 and multiples thereof and can see some merit in the idea of a weekly congratulation topic.

Its quite interesting to see how much pleasure some people get from a congrats thread compared with what must be no more than a mild irritation to others.

Personally, I beleive that if just one person gets enjoyment out of getting a mention (or the ability to praise another) then surely its not such a great problem to skip over these for those that dislike them?

A lot of people have a LOT more to worry about - the rest of us should think ourselves very lucky.

Of the 45 threads on the first page, 4 are congratulations threads. I don't call that unmanageable.

Statistically at this point in time you might be correct, but still there is an increase

Ooh, someone said the "s" word! I'm up... :)

So long as we only congratulate regular forum users, the proportion of congratulations threads shouldn't increase. And I doubt the total number would increase too much, because the use of this forum is growing much more slowly than geocaching itself.

Geocaching in the UK is growing pretty much exponentially at the moment, which is great! But we'd really run into problems if people started posting a congratulations thread every time any UK cacher reached a milestone. The following graph shows how many threads we'd need each month :o:):D

centurions.gif

Its quite interesting to see how much pleasure some people get from a congrats thread compared with what must be no more than a mild irritation to others.

...But why does each congrats have to be endlessly paraded publically in front of everyone for them to get this pleasure they seek?

Why is the pinned topic seen to be less worthy by the congrats crowd?

...is it because there it is not endlessly paraded publically in front of everybody?

Statistically, the UK is the biggest English-speaking forum, by a very long way.

Add all the English speaking Forum post together (minus the UK) and still there is more than the total in them all. Add all the US forums up and that looks slightly larger than the UK

I've read the whole thread through so I'm going to put in my 2pennyworth...

What I'd like to see is one pinned congratulation for each special milestone ... but I'd like them to more interesting, amusing and informative. When the "Joe Bloggs Cachers" hit their milestone one of their mates/best friend/dog/some other cacher who's just been handed a brown envelope stuffed with fivers pins a Congratulations for them along the lines of....

"Well folks, we never thought they'd get there, but the JBCs have struggled through mud and mire of Bogsmore Cache and made it to 500. Followed by their faithful hound Dogsbody and the 6 Blogglets they've been seeking plastic boxes around the NE for the last 6 years and their dedication should be recognised. We need to thank them for providing us with the fun of "Quagmire Quarry Cache" where Wembury Wanders disappeared without trace last January full moon and who can forget their spirited rendering of "Row, Row, Row the Boat" at the Hogsbottom Event this summer?" ....or something.

This would be a worthwhile tribute :) to whoever's being congratulated, it would give other Forum members who've never heard of the JBCs an idea of what they're like and then all those who know them/like them/or just enjoy sending congrats would send them personal emails as follow ups.

That's me done... I'll go away now. :o Mrs B

I've just sussed out what is up with us Brits

Whilst thumbing my copy of TV Times I see that Celebrity Train Carriage is returning to the Box next week - This program follows some B list has been on their travels whilst making complete fools of themselves.

Oh but wait!

On BBC1 at the same time is Tick Toc Clock a terrific program where you can guess what time Dale Winton is thinking; and if the numbers match the numbers on your clock you can call in and appear on next weeks show!

Blast

Oh Channel 4 is Big Mother where unknown mothers pass a test performed by a shady TV exec and Psychologist of dubious qualifications; who passes them fit for a 8 week display of their stupidity.

Yes that it is "We Brits are obsessed by people we do not even know!"

Edited by Moote

If you've got an up to date Firefox and Greasemonkey installation, then right click here and choose "Install User Script"

When you refresh the topic listing, you'll find a neat little "x" icon next to the topic title. Click it to instantly make a topic go away!

The script will remember up to 100 topics you don't like (with the oldest ones being shuffled off its memory)

If you do want to show the ones you've ignored, up by the top menu where it says "My Controls - New Messages - View New Posts" etc you'll find a link "Show Ignored Topic" - click that and you'll see all the ones you're ignoring highlighted in a lovely shade of pink. If you see a topic you'd rather keep seeing, just click it's ignore button again and it the pink disappears!

Lovely eh! Tested in Firefox 1.07 + GM 0.5.3. and Firefox 1.5b2 + GM0.6.2.1 - ENjoy!

If you've got an up to date Firefox and Greasemonkey installation, then right click here and choose "Install User Script"

When you refresh the topic listing, you'll find a neat little "x" icon next to the topic title. Click it to instantly make a topic go away!

The script will remember up to 100 topics you don't like (with the oldest ones being shuffled off its memory)

If you do want to show the ones you've ignored, up by the top menu where it says "My Controls - New Messages - View New Posts" etc you'll find a link "Show Ignored Topic" - click that and you'll see all the ones you're ignoring highlighted in a lovely shade of pink. If you see a topic you'd rather keep seeing, just click it's ignore button again and it the pink disappears!

Lovely eh! Tested in Firefox 1.07 + GM 0.5.3. and Firefox 1.5b2 + GM0.6.2.1 - ENjoy!

I think that for this work lordelph should win the Nobel Peace Prize :)

Thanks for your excellent work; you have made a life changing contribution to the forum

Cheers

Milton

Moote,

thought I'd post so you can eliminate me! :)

Post the content of the email. What sort of threat(s) are being made? This type of behaviour should not be tolerated.

Now, FWIW, I am with keeping it as it is i.e. not restricted to the pinned topic.

Sensei TSCK

The contents are mainly unpublishable for on here, the language used would make Chubby Brown blush. I was physically threatened with violence if he knew what I looked like; this might sound odd but that is why I then added my real photo to my profile both here and on my GC profile.

I agree that it is not needed on here; I generally run at high risk though on here as I am not averse to putting the Cat amongst the Pigeons. Maybe I should not but I love to see a good heated discussion as then you see things getting done.

I'm sure I will be OK, I think that some people just can't live in harmony

Milton (aka Moote)

hi moote

myself personally... if it was as bad as you say i would have gone to the reviewers/mods and had this person banned

i did not agree with you topic on the congrats thread, but there is no need to stoop to that level

Mandy

Mandy

The name in the email was similar but not exactly the same as a UK cacher, it must be a cacher else how else would they have known about the thread,. The email was sent outside of the site (I have my Hotmail address on my GC profile so they just used that to contact me).

As for you not agreeing I'm cool with that, look where it got us the excellent Lordelph steps in and gives us something for nothing, and without heat and debate that would have been a long time coming.

I think that we all have a result, PPC users can ignore Palm threads, Palm users can ignore PPC threads. In fact we can choose what we want and when we want it. That is good and has made everything worthwhile.

Milton

I never bother with the pinned congrats thread these days.

As some others have stated I just scan past any thread that doesn't interest me.

I prefer to keep the forum just as it is now.

Milton, that would be an interesting turnabout, a donkey going caving up your nether region :mad:

I think you'd have to put on a lot of weight though before it could happen, and then you wouldn't fit in my little car if you needed a lift :D

Ignore them and they will get bored eventually Milton :D

I am now putting this issue to bed; it has served it's purpose and served it very well indeed.

We all now have a tool that can be used to totally ignore threads that have no interest to us so, be you a Palm user, PPC users, a hater of Geocoin threads or whatever you can block the treads that mean nothing to you.

I have said it before and will say it again: Thanks Lordelph you truly think whilst others argue (You ever thought of becoming a Diplomat?)

I hope that no ones real feelings were hurt; but if they were I aplogise and meant no harm to anyone, I just wanted a solution and debate got us all to where we are now. For anyone stumbling on this historic Thread you can find Lordelph's wonderful contribution to world peace Here

All take care now; until my next thread

Milton (aka Moote)