Is There An Easy Way To Measure Distance

I was wondering if there was an easier way to measure distance from one cache to another, or one set of coordinates to another? I've been doing it in my gps, but it is a pain.

I don't want to write up a whole cache, only to have it rejected because it is too close to another cache.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

TCHC

Check out the freeware called GeoCal. It caculates distances from coordinates, converts coordinates to other formats and does projections, all in a small and easy to use package.

You could do it three ways with the new GE features

Use kml networking and....

Download the two .loc files, import them and...

Download a PQ to GE and...

...open up Tools > Measure > Line (or path) > draw a line and it will tell you the distance.

From what I understand you will get a more accurate reading if you download the points than if you network them.

The "length" of a degree of longitude is not constant, so no. The farther you are away from the equator, the "shorter" a degree of longitude (W or E coord) is.

Another recently active topic here in the forums compares UTM to lat-long. UTM uses meters as the coordinate unit. This would allow you to do a simple pythagorean calculation of distance using the two coordinate pairs.

Edit: Added paragraph about UTM.

Edited by geognerd

You can estimate distance between degrees of longitude at a given latitude with the following formula:

d = (pi / 180) * R * cos(lat)

The latitude is expressed in decimal degrees. R is the radius of the earth, which is 3,963.1676 miles. (thanks, google: http://www.google.com/search?q=radius+of+the+earth+in+mi ).

Doing the multiplication, you get a slightly simpler:

d = 69.17 * cos(lat)

The distance between two degrees of latitude is mostly constant, with some variation since the earth is not a sphere. It varies between 68.7 and 69.4 miles.

Maybe that can at least be a starting point for you.

A cache shouldn't be placed with just one trip and one set of coords.

The last cache I hid I got at least a dozen sets of coordinates on different days with different gps units. I scouted the area before hiding the cache, ran the coords through the gc.com search engine and plotted nearby caches on a map. Only after I was certain that my spot wouldn't be too close to any other cache did I actually go hide the container.