Caching Widows

ac5c522a-b318-4fb2-8304-5b4b9067aa6e.jpg

With a baby at home, it's a little difficult to do some of those caches. My contribution to my hubbie's hobby is designing. I make coins, pins, t-shirts etc. Actually, he bags enough caches for the both of us. The word addiciton comes to mind. Now, I not saying it's right up there with heroin and meth...but it's close.

If you've ever had to hold your 3-month old daughter on your lap 'cause the road to the cache was too rough to leave her in the car seat, you need to share your story here. That trip was 26 miles round-trip by the way.

Fellas, sign your wives up so they can share their stories. Heck they may even come to share your hobby.

Caching Widow

Very amusing! In our case my husband is only interested in the mapping and GPS part and I am interested in finding the cache. He'll set up the GPS and do all the mapping, but when I say lets go all he wants to do is go for a hike and if there is a cache there, then he'll go. He won't hike to find caches. So he has used geocaching to get me on the trail with him and I keep pulling him to find more. At least he'll go.....and then there's our 3 year old daughter.

-Ronney

(Tandemaniacs)

Hey, I tried to get her involved. She was always talking about my lack of exercise, etc.. Now, if the cache is more than 100 yards away, or a multi, or a micro, she won't even think about setting foot outside of the cachemobile.

Of course my 12 mile hikes in a thunderstorm to find a single cache probably didn't help either. :D

I think my family is a lot more like Tandemaniac's. I'm more interested in the hike, the outdoors, the maps, watching the readings change on the GPS, whereas my wife is more eager to go bushwacking and search for the cache itself.

I think our only problem is having time to go to the caches and not really being easily able to do the tougher ones that would be hard to take a 4 year old and a 2 year old one (though on one that was in a park with paths but with rocks along the shore I was very surprised to see my kids trying to climb the rocks and not having too much difficulty!). That's one reason I'm trying to load up on the locationless/virtual ones before they move to Waymarking.com in '06.

Edited by hairymon

It was the summer of 2003 when I convinced my wife to join me on a cache hunt. We were on our way home from her parents house and I decided that a fast find in a local park would be just the thing. I was a n00b, having about 10 finds under my belt.

We found the film cannister in about 5 minutes, but all it had inside was a slip of paper with more coords. A multi...hey, I've heard of these! Cool! Loaded the coords into the sportrak and off we go. A quarter mile away at the edge of the desert we find the next film can....more coords. No problem I tell her, it's only another .25 miles to the cache......

It ended up being a 6 stage, 3 mile circle through very broken terrain covered with Lava boulders, cracks and snakes. The temp was in the mid 90's. She wasn't smiling.

She is not an outdoorsy type, and this being her first cache didn't really set the stage for excitement.

I've gotten her to go to a few events, but a cacher she is not.

Actually now that I've started caching my husband may be the jeepwidow. But that will never happen because I'm not really allowed to drive the jeep. He now uses caches as a carrot to get me to go places I'd never have gone with him before. So caching has actually brought us to doing more things together than apart.

Go caching!

My fiancee' had gone with me on a few hunts and acted like she was having a good time, but I wondered if she said she was enjoying it just because she knew I like caching. But then I found out the other day while I was working, she went out and found one WITHOUT me! Now she's wanting me to help her hide one. Yep, she's hooked. I guess I'll be buying another GPS now too.

If you've ever had to hold your 3-month old daughter on your lap 'cause the road to the cache was too rough to leave her in the car seat, you need to share your story here. That trip was 26 miles round-trip by the way.

Fellas, sign your wives up so they can share their stories. Heck they may even come to share your hobby.

Actually, Mrs. Jeep Dog carried a 17 day old on a 2 mile round trip hike to a cache. She's pretty supportive as long as I stay away from the addiction level and hover at hobby level.

Heck no I'm not going to get her to sign up with an account. Then she would see the number of caches and think I've crossed the border into addiction land (at least in her mind, but not compared to many around here). :)

What's your CWMI ?

Posted by CHUY: Oct 22 2005, 12:56 AM In the San Diego Thread

The Caching Widow/Widower Maker Index (CWMI)

Caching Widow's Caching Widow Thread got me thinking just who are the San Diego area widow makers. So, I computed an index for some of you.

Its basically your daily find ratio, but I took into accourt your hides as well.

3.92 TucsonThompsen (I wasn't sure how many were adopted; so, I counted 22)

3.03 Duncan!

2.87 Chuy

2.82 Miragee

2.67 $kimmer

2.46 Splashman/Splashette

2.31 Princess Toadstool

2.02 Flagman

2.00 D-Jollymon

1.60 Duganrm

1.51 Cornerstone4

1.45 Passing Wind

1.43 Parsa

1.42 Kawikaturn

0.95 Night Hunter

0.89 TrailGators

0.65 Harmon (SD Rowdies)

0.63 Dan-oh

0.56 Blonds Run Amuck

0.53 Dr. Boggis

Using CalendarHome.com I computed your days caching since registering as a member and devided that into your hides and finds. I tripled the value of hides as they can consume quite a bit of time (collect swag; hide it; design the web page; and maintain the cache.)

These figure are general reference only. There are lots of variables that were not taken into account: A 14-part multi should be worth more than a virtual/earthcache/web cam/locationless; there are co-hides; adopted caches; travel bugs, terrain/difficulty ratings, etc...

Formula: (finds + (hides X 3)) devided by days caching = CWMI.

Lets see your CWMI!

On cache trips into the woods, my wife usually stays in the car, reads a book while me and our dog hit the trail. On the other hand she really enjoys caching when I decide to cache in Manhattan, not far from where we live. I hit the "trails" in Central ParK or another park in NYC and she hits the "trails" in Bloomingdales! :D About two hours or so later after she's a little wore out, she calls me on the cell phone. I finish up my caching and go pick her up. Seems to work out. I come home with a McToy and she comes home with, well... :mad:

Edited by Alan2

I take my 3 girls with me leaving my wife all alone at home. But that's usually OK with her because she needs to study for her classes. It's when I go locating new Earthcaches, that leaves her alone the most. The last earthcache placement treck took me up through Utah for a week.

We have gone as a family a couple of times. The first time didn't go to well. It was a multi that was right near lunch, so the girls (and I ;) ) started to get crabby. Then weren't able to find it.

The second time went much better with a bunch of nice hides and some friends. However the 2 strollers and 1 bike came back with flat tires from the thorns on the trail.

She still helps me with figuring out where and how to place some of my hides.

Here's what she actually said after reading this thread:

"Hah! How many of them had their husband leave on a 5 day 1000 mile trip to a conference to TALK about caching, leaving them home to wrangle 2 kids, a job, and school alone? ;)"

The talk she is refering to is a presentation I gave at the Geological Society of America Conference on setting up Earthcaches. In my defence, I did take one of the girls with me and we found 10 or so caches and placed 10 or 15 Earthcaches (now on Waymarking). The finds and hides are what's important. :P

Edited by TerryDad2

I am not a caching widow! Instead, I have the "reluctant hubby" as I call him in my logs. Actually, he getting much better. He says he likes to cache when we're away on trips as something else to do. He likes it when caching is part of another planned activity, like a bike ride or trail riding on our dirt bikes. He just doesn't like to go out to geocache just for the heck of it.

He's picked out the location of a new cache and has assisted me with a couple of other hides. He has his own travel bug, and we're planning a second one for him. He takes more of an interest that way.

Husbands can be trained. . .it's just a slow process! ;)

Well, Passing Wind's problem is not that he's untrainable, he's just in that frantical stage of caching. We did the GeoCampout this weekend. He took PW Son with him caching in the morning and then left him with me in the afternoon for 5 hours.

Normally that's not a problem. But I had Baby Breeze who couldn't sleep because of all the noise and was cranky, and the electric in the RV wasn't working. So I'm trying to make BB happy while baking corn muffins for the chili cook off while PW Son is running goddess knows where. He's 3 and we were camping on a mesa where 3 sides plunged down hundreds of feet. I should have gray hairs after this weekend. Thank you, thank you to the Geo Wives out there for keeping an eye on him. I know the Dillion gang girls were a godsend.

I ended driving home Saturday night with BB and the dog just to get some rest...and a shower.

BTW, I'm trying to think up an idea for a "Cache Addict" pin. Any graphical ideas for that or ideas for other pins are welcome. I've also got a "Survivor" type pin in the works.

Edited by Caching Widow

well, i went geocachign one weekend and the next thing i knew i was single.

it wasn't a causal relationship, but the caching trip played a hand in it.

the catalytic event was a geocacher social gathering at the house immediately following.

...much better, now, thanks.

Hubby thought that if "Santa" brought me a GPS, he would use it while hunting. When we take drives "to see the country" we often (almost) drive off the road because he is too busy looking out in the fields...

He has yet to learn how the thing works.

One daughter goes with me sometimes...we had a great one this last weekend. The other one (5) wants to stay home because it is too much walking. (Yet she manages Disneyland like a champ - go figure!)

Hubby finds the dollar store bags..."What is all THIS?"

"Caching prizes!" Like he didn't know!

"Oh. What did you get this time from eBay?"

"A Palm."

"What for? Are you really that busy?" (Like a mom of dancing, flute-playing Girl Scout girls isn't busy!)

"It's for geocaching!" Like he didn't know!

I have a standing Saturday caching date with my cousin, hubby stays home with the 5 yr old...they are suited for each other I think sometimes...

One daughter goes with me sometimes...we had a great one this last weekend. The other one (5) wants to stay home because it is too much walking. (Yet she manages Disneyland like a champ - go figure!)

Do we have the same daughter?

And after she spends the whole time whining, (I like the "I'm too hot," when it is not even 70 :) ) she will proudly tell the rest of the family how far she hiked. :)

Around here I get these phone calls.....

Dear, it's your son (actually it's both of ours but when he calls and only wants to talk to me, he's mine)

Hi, Will. What's you need?

Mom, want to go geocaching?

When?

Now!

Sure.

You driving or me?

You.

Hang up and ask hubby. You want to go caching with Will and me?

When?

Now.

Why?

Because we can and he asked.

You know it's almost dark.

Yeah, and do you want to go?

No.

Okay, see ya!

This weekend Will, his wife and kids and I are hitting the trails. Is my husband going? I'm not at all sure. Maybe he'll work on my honey do list for the house.

Terri

Well... you folks have showed me how lucky I really am. My Geowife is a cacher thru and thru and my 2 daughters (8 & 5) beat us to the cache every time. I don't remember the last time I was able to play with either of my 2 GPSr's. The two girls have them every time. We use caching as quality time, what better way.

I suggest to those that have family members staying behind to drag them out anyway. Ya , they'll whine for a bit but that will fade and the great outdoors will consume them like it has my family. We no longer do housework, we buy new dishes instead of washing them just to make caching time. (just kidding of course but wouldn't it be great)

...to drag them out anyway. Ya , they'll whine for a bit but that will fade and the great outdoors will consume them like it has my family...

I am hoping that this summer, hubby will be more open to some of this.We can take a weekend and the tent-trailer and go up into the mountains that he loves to fish, and find some of the once/twice-a-year caches on some remote trails. THEN he will be more interested. Does he hike much? No, but the caches around here in the hills and mountains are either some historical area or by some lake or stream that he remembers fishing as a kid.

THAT should get him out...but still not caching!

QUOTE (Caching Widow @ Jan 24 2006, 07:21 PM)

Anyone left their spouse yet over Geocaching?

Why do you ask? Considering your options? 

He's still a little fanatical about caching even after the near-death experience in the sewers. Cornerstone has had some helpful advice, but I still loath taking a back seat to a hobby.

And, yes, Caching Widow shirts are still available. They actually been selling quite well.

Caching Widow T-shirt

Uh Oh, my husband might come and complain that he's a Caching Widower. :huh:

In our family, I am definitely the one who could be a candidate for Cache-aholics Anonymous :huh: He enjoys caching...well, he enjoys the hikes TO the caches, but doesn't care as much for the hunt itself.

Usually, it's me handing the baby to him and saying, here - watch him, I'll be back in just a little while :(

Just read the whole thread, I hope things are OK.

Edited by parker313

I've begged, pleaded, threatened, trying to get her involved. She's just not interested. I'm about ready for an upgrade!

Uh-huh, wait'll I tell CheleMyBelle you said that - she won't let you go hunt caches with her anymore!

Yeah....I was thinking that exact same thing when I was reading the different posts here. She seems like she enjoys the game enough! She liked the dog event :ph34r: And she even did a pretty well-attended event a while back. Hmmmm.....