I Need Feedback!

Tandemaniacs

I have a new coin idea and image sent to coinsandpins for minting, but I would like all of your input on what you think of the coin. Are you interested in it?

This coin will be a 2 sided 3D image of the world, gold in color. Matte finish for the continents and glossy for the water. East on one side, west on the other. It will bow out slightly like a globe. Around the side of the coin (not edge trim) it will read "GEOCACHING AROUND THE WORLD". The coin will be GC trackable and have it's own icon. Only 1000 will be minted and due to the extra charges for the icon and the GC trackable it may have to sell for $10 each.

So, let's start with the interest!

-Tandemaniacs

designer of the Big Bear geocoin

Just to answer some of the emails, since the picture of my coin is hard to see all the details.

The Globe used for my coin on the front side does 'bow' out. So the edges are flat to the surface and the middle sticks out.

I have "Caching Around the World" as my tag line since my goal has been to Cache and Travel. I dont think I have seen that tag line before, I might be wrong.

Regards.

nielsenc

Yes, I've been watching the thread about the earth geocoin and what they've come up with is really cool. I am still wondering though, is there any type of copyright on those googleearth pictures they've used? I still think the earth geocoin could be really cool. It has some cool text on it.

Personally, I'd pass on this one. The 3D design is cool, but other than the words on the edge, I don't see the tie in to caching in the pics. This coin could be of anything really.

I'm only midly interested in the Earth Coin as well.

Just my two cents.

He could have been planning this long before the earth coin project.

quite possible. where was his comment in the coin developing process? i am sure that the earth geocoin project would have be happy to turn everything over to her

By the way....love the idea of the words around the edge.

Edited by The Dillon Gang
I kinda like the 3-d effect idea.

kinda like the back side of the 2005 ca geocoin???? i think kv coins did a great job on the 3-d work on that side.

getting to production take a bit to satisfy the majority of the people. dropping in the satellite was the last step i believe.

perhaps Tandemaniacs would like to utilize her art skills to put the final touches on the earth design and we could team up for production. designing coins is great fun....producing and distributing them can be a pain.

Edited by The Dillon Gang
I don't want to step on anyone's feet. I got this idea 2 weeks ago and started on design. I sent it to coinsandpins and at this time we are waiting for GC's approval of the design. Should I stop? Should I scrap the idea?

-Ronney

Considering a earth geocoin is already being made....I think you should put your talent to another design/idea. Also, that price is to high for a coin.

I kinda like the 3-d effect idea.

kinda like the back side of the 2005 ca geocoin???? i think kv coins did a great job on the 3-d work on that side.

getting to production take a bit to satisfy the majority of the people. dropping in the satellite was the last step i believe.

perhaps Tandemaniacs would like to utilize her art skills to put the final touches on the earth design and we could team up for production. designing coins is great fun....producing and distributing them can be a pain.

Sorry, I put he in one of my posts. :blink:

The price is high but I would imagine you can find a way to get it lower. The tracking is nice. Concept wise I like your idea better than the other coin based on looks alone.

This falls into a catagory that I call "Related" not having anything better to call it. It's not a signature coin, it's not an organization coin. if you don't make a profit it's not commercial (but if you do it is, that's sometimes hard to tell). It's not an event coin, it's not a cache coin, and it's not a coin group coin. As an aside I'm beginning to wonder if I should make a seasonal/holiday catagory.

What that means is that ICE would be interested in a few.

There you go. :blink:

Hear me now and believe me for all time!!!

$10 is not a lot to ask for the coins to be minted. Here's why... First I come up with an idea, then I spend days designing it and reworking it. I contact the minter and upload the work. I wait for GC to approve the design. I pay for the coins $5/coin with minting prices, special icon and trackable GC numbers. Time is spent talking to you about this, and advertising. I spend thousands of dollars upfront and then I will then sell it to a dealer to take over sales. (Because quite frankly dealing with Paypal and people's bounced checks, sucks!) I sold 200 Big Bear coins and if I took all my time for design, advertising, Excel set up of customers, time to update with each incoming check, purchasing of mailers, time to go to the post office for pricing and stamps and mailing it off as well as constant contact with customers, I am making about $ .30/hour. The Geocoin business is not a way to make money. I do it because I am an artist. You may gripe about the cost of a coin being $7 or $10, but people who have never made a coin have no idea what goes into it.

And that's all I have to say about that!

No hard feelings. I had to get that off my chest.

-Ronney

$10 is not a lot to ask for the coins to be minted. Here's why... First I come up with an idea, then I spend days designing it and reworking it. I contact the minter and upload the work. I wait for GC to approve the design. I pay for the coins $5/coin with minting prices, special icon and trackable GC numbers. Time is spent talking to you about this, and advertising. I spend thousands of dollars upfront and then I will then sell it to a dealer to take over sales. (Because quite frankly dealing with Paypal and people's bounced checks, sucks!) I sold 200 Big Bear coins and if I took all my time for design, advertising, Excel set up of customers, time to update with each incoming check, purchasing of mailers, time to go to the post office for pricing and stamps and mailing it off as well as constant contact with customers, I am making about $ .30/hour. The Geocoin business is not a way to make money. I do it because I am an artist. You may gripe about the cost of a coin being $7 or $10, but people who have never made a coin have no idea what goes into it.

-Ronney

Amen...been there done that!

$10 is not a lot to ask for the coins to be minted.  Here's why...  First I come up with an idea,  then I spend days designing it and reworking it.  I contact the minter and upload the work.  I wait for GC to approve the design.  I pay for the coins $5/coin with minting prices, special icon and trackable GC numbers.  Time is spent talking to you about this, and advertising.  I spend thousands of dollars upfront and then  I will then sell it to a dealer to take over sales. (Because quite frankly dealing with Paypal and people's bounced checks, sucks!) I sold 200 Big Bear coins and if I took all my time for design, advertising, Excel set up of customers, time to update with each incoming check, purchasing of mailers, time to go to the post office for pricing and stamps and mailing it off as well as constant contact with customers, I am making about $  .30/hour.  The Geocoin business is not a way to make money.  I do it because I am an artist.  You may gripe about the cost of a coin being $7 or $10, but people who have never made a coin have no idea what goes into it.

No hard feelings.  I had to get that off my chest.

-Ronney

Amen...been there done that!

There is not much question that a reasonable COST of a coin could be $10 in the circumstances you describe. However there is a tough argument to make that the VALUE of a geocoin could be $10. Especially if there are 500 or more of them being minted. Anyone who wants to use them as trade fodder is going to be trading for coins that, in the vast majority of cases cost their trading partner far less. And (gasp), the thought of making it an actual geocoin by placing a $10 item in a cache is daunting even for those with broad financial resources.

Edited by pdxmarathonman

Ok-so you want paid for your time it took you to make your coin? Then I want everybody who bought mine to send me 5 more dollars for MY time.

Yeah-that ain't gonna happen.

There is not one person that has been paid for their time on designing and making their coin, yet they don't complain. I am in that group, I have my coin and my sons. I designed, databased, uploaded, contacted, dealt with, packaged (which I don't have time for), go to the post office, go to sams for mailers-all while dealing with a hurricane, being on the PTO, being on the Boy Scout Committee, and Co-Chair on Geowoodstock4. Please whine to me about your time. I put my time and so have many other collectors and we/they have not charged because this is my hobbie and the people that enjoy trading withs hobbie. I will not take advantage of that, which is what you are doing. I refuse to pay for your time in your coin, if you didn't have time you should not make the dam coin.

Imagine what prices will be now since we will start "paying by the hour" for Geocoins.

Sorry if this makes you or anybody else upset/offened/or mad but I feel this had to be said and I already know-

:D and this :D

[$10 is not a lot to ask for the coins to be minted. Here's why...

Read the thread geocoins are guaranteed money makers. This is a fine example here.

Forrest Gump once said "thats all I have to say about that".

Had to get that one off of my chest.

I'm an artist. I should be paid for my time. Do you expect to buy a painting for your wall or a sculpture for the price of the materials?!?!? No, an artist gets paid for their time just like everybody else. And yes, sometimes we sell it for less, why do you think we are called starving artists. I am asking for my time on the coin to be paid, not time missed for transporting boy scouts....that's my own time and yours!

-Ronney

I'm an artist. I should be paid for my time. Do you expect to buy a painting for your wall or a sculpture for the price of the materials?!?!?

Anyone who designs and offers a geocoin to the geocaching community should be doing it for enjoyment and not a way to make a living.

I'm an artist.  I should be paid for my time.  Do you expect to buy a painting for your wall or a sculpture for the price of the materials?!?!? 

Anyone who designs and offers a geocoin to the geocaching community should be doing it for enjoyment and not a way to make a living.

I agree with Cav Scout. I think your time would be better spent using your talents on something other than a geocoin.

It definitely sounds like a line is being crossed here, and this coin would be more of a commercial venture.

For personal coins and geocaching group coins, we do not expect that people will be paid for their time. They are doing it for the enjoyment, or to give something back to the hobby.

For a commercially produced coin, people expect some compensation for their time. Take the Seven Summits coins... This seems to fall more into the commercial realm. We recognize this and adjust our expectations as to what we are paying and what that money is for.

To me, it sounds like this coin falls more in line with this. As long as recognize the intent, and decide whether or not to buy the coin based upon the right information, I do not see any problem with it.

The similarity to the Earth coin being desgined is a different subject. There are a limited number of subject that lend themselves well to geocaching, so we will see some overlap. We have already seen this in the variety of Holiday Coins coming out in the near future. We each have to decide which coins we want to purchase and/or trade for, and eventually the people producing the coins will understand the market and either conform to it, or end up with merchandise that cannot be sold.

...For a commercially produced coin, people expect some compensation for their time. Take the Seven Summits coins... This seems to fall more into the commercial realm. We recognize this and adjust our expectations as to what we are paying and what that money is for.

To me, it sounds like this coin falls more in line with this. As long as recognize the intent, and decide whether or not to buy the coin based upon the right information, I do not see any problem with it....

Good summary. For my coin group I had to put this in the commercial catagory. If this coin is made some will order individualy as may I . However as a group we don't do commercial coins.

Tandemaniacs, the controversy over commercial, or the similarity to the other coin isn't personal. It's just part of the feedback you requsted. You have been up front on exactly what you are going to do with the coin. That's fair, and I wish all cachers who make a coin were as straight forward.