Opinions On Geocoin Shapes--

LSUFan

I am still in the planning stages of designing a geocoin and was pondering different shapes for it. After seeing all the great coins posted here, I was wanting everyones opinion on if I should just make it round, and not a special shape after all. I'm trying to get a feel for what the professional coinnoiseurs here in the forums prefer. Can you please let me know?

Edited by LSUFan
I like round coins much better than shaped one. If you go too crazy with shapes it might get to the point where it's not even really a coin anymore!

Yeah, it might end up a bone! :blink:

J/K. I prefer the round ones because they store better in my coin book. But some of the different shapes are awesome. However, when it comes down to it,

It's your coin and should be what YOU want :blink:

I think this is a great question. My personal opinion would differ depending on what the artwork looks like. North Dakota is a great coin with the horsehoe but I also like JeepsToysRUS because their coin is very large. It also depends on what the shape will be.

Ultimately, choose what you want, everyone else will buy it no matter what.

I like the round best, but that's only because they're easier to store. It doesn't really matter what we want. It's your coin and should be what YOU want ;)

I understand that it's ultimately whatever I want to make of the coin, but I do want to make a coin that others will want to collect, trade, buy etc. My thinking is if I make a coin that everyone really likes, then it will be easier to make trades for.

How else am I going to be able to get a Kilted Cacher coin since I don't own a dres......sorry kilt. :D KC, you know I'm kidding. I really do want one of your coins.

Edited by LSUFan
I am still in the planning stages of designing a geocoin and was pondering different shapes for it. After seeing all the great coins posted here, I was wanting everyones opinion on if I should just make it round, and not a special shape after all.  I'm trying to get a feel for what the professional coinnoiseurs here in the forums prefer. Can you please let me know?

"Coin" usually refers to circular, but not in any official way. If it's not circular (or at least round) it should probably be called a token.

The GeoBone token and the Son of Cyclops coin both call a bit more "attention" to themselves on my display rack because of their unusual shapes compared to the neighboring coins, but once there are dozens of non-round tokens their current uniqueness will lessen.

I like circular, but not to the point of exclusivity. (I looked at the new Georgia token, which is more or less "peach-shaped" and decided to pass. I might not have passed on it if it was - as I describe - a coin, but this is strictly my personal opinion and I use it here as an example.) I guess there's a sense in my thinking that the circular coin is the bench-mark (for me).

Here is the dictionary's take on the word coin:

1. A small piece of metal, usually flat and circular, authorized by a government for use as money.

2. Metal money considered as a whole.

3. A flat circular piece or object felt to resemble metal money: a pizza topped with coins of pepperoni.

4. Architecture. A corner or cornerstone.

5. A mode of expression considered standard: Two-word verbs are valid linguistic coin in the 20th century.

--Marc

October 21, 2005 @ 2:21 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

I'm a little surprised at the general preference for round coins, I guess I had the idea that unusual shapes were more popular right now. We (I) decided to go with an unusual shape on the upcoming Geocachers of West TN coin mainly because it was only a few pennies more expensive, and West TN has a clearly definable shape, being bounded by two state lines and two rivers. I liked the ND "token" because of its heft and shape, it kinda stands out from the crowd. But a beautiful round coin is still preferable to a bland shaped coin. I started to say "style over substance," but I guess in this case style IS substance! I guess I'd rank them:

* Ordinary shape and crappy design

** Unique shape and crappy design

*** Ordinary shape and attractive design

**** Unique shape and attractive design