San Francisco Geocoin 2005

WWC-World's Worst Cacher

The GBA coin club will pass as well since the Geocachers of the Bay Area(GBA) is currently working on a coin that would officially represent the area, well at least we thought so until now.

Interesting that you have thrown a coin out there representing our area and that none of the local bay area cachers or coin collectors were even aware of it. Not even a mention anywhere in theGBA.net forums, which surely you are aware of if you actually cache here in the bay area.

This is a sad reflection on the state of geocoins. They won't have any special meaning in just a few months at this rate since the market will be flooded with coins.

"This is a sad reflection on the state of geocoins. They won't have any special meaning in just a few months at this rate since the market will be flooded with coins."

I didn't think that anyone owned a certain area. I think any coin that is put out there will have special meaning. If the GBA puts out a coin for the Bay Area, no one else is permitted to do so?

In PA we have Trigo who put out a coin recently and NWPA puts out coins that cover all of PA. I say the more the merrier. If I choose to buy them it is because of the design not the coin maker. I think that CA has room for a lot of coins.

Will this be listed as a personal coin on the geocaching.com site? I assume so since none of the local cachers or organizations seem to have known anything about it.

The person making the coin doesn't appear to have ever even found a cache in San Francisco, doesn't live there, and is a new cacher. I think I'll pass.

Guess we all got a little excited without checking things - thanks for the info!

The GBA coin club will pass as well since the Geocachers of the Bay Area(GBA) is currently working on a coin that would officially represent the area, well at least we thought so until now. 

Interesting that you have thrown a coin out there representing our area and that none of the local bay area cachers or coin collectors were even aware of it.  Not even a mention anywhere in theGBA.net forums,  which surely you are aware of if you actually cache here in the bay area.

Please cancel the Pacific Coin Collective's preorder for 48 coins (first page of thread). We fully support GBA's efforts in this area, and will wait for their regional coin.

I would like to trade for one of my coins (I know you're not looking for these emails yet). I have a bridge on my coin that (not-coincidentally) looks a lot like the one on your coin. :D

I would highly recommend sending a photo of the bridge to the mint and having their artist add detail to the deck. See my coin, which has a much smaller bridge image for the fine detail that can be added. Click the link in my signature line.

The GBA coin club will pass as well since the Geocachers of the Bay Area(GBA) is currently working on a coin that would officially represent the area,

The image in the first post makes no mention of The Bay Area.

Knock yourself out bullit, this coin seems to represent just one small segment of The Area :D

Edited by pdxmarathonman
I didn't think that anyone owned a certain area.

I don't think it is a matter of ownership... certainly anyone can put out a coin that says anything they want. I think it is more a matter of respect for fellow cachers in the same area. As pointed out, the OP does not even live or cache in San Fran. If there was any thought given to the area cachers, he would have at least mentioned the intent and opened a dialogue with the various groups to see what might already be planned. THAT is the sad reflection on the state of geocoins.

I didn't think that anyone owned a certain area.

I don't think it is a matter of ownership... certainly anyone can put out a coin that says anything they want. I think it is more a matter of respect for fellow cachers in the same area. As pointed out, the OP does not even live or cache in San Fran. If there was any thought given to the area cachers, he would have at least mentioned the intent and opened a dialogue with the various groups to see what might already be planned. THAT is the sad reflection on the state of geocoins.

Exactly, very well put.

Plus, most coin clubs have to be selective in coin purchases - we can't buy everything, we don't have the money! - and PCC chooses to focus on geographical coins, preferring to support those put out by the local geocaching associations, or at least 'sanctioned' by them.

We run polls for most regional/local coins, to decide which to purchase, and this one was running heavily 'yes,' based on assumption it was sanctioned by a caching group, but after the later info, many people changed their votes to 'no.'

Even if PCC doesn't buy this coin, I bet some individual members will - it just won't be a club purchase.

And yes, LadeBear, that will leave more coins for the rest of you! :D

I really appreciate that most people like the coin. I did the design because of my fondness for the city that goes back many years. I had no idea it would ellicit so much meaness from a few people.

It is funny that the complaint is that no input was taken and the GBA is working on a coin. I went to their forum and there is no mention of it. So if they are working on a coin it seems to be every bit as stealthy as they accuse me of being.

There has been no discussion with me about the coin or their problem with it only the flame postings which seem to fly in the face of the spirit of geocaching.

I just don't get it. It is a great welcome from the leaders of the Bay Area geocaching organization.

I really appreciate that most people like the coin. I did the design because of my fondness for the city that goes back many years. I had no idea it would ellicit so much meaness from a few people.

It is funny that the complaint is that no input was taken and the GBA is working on a coin. I went to their forum and there is no mention of it. So if they are working on a coin it seems to be every bit as stealthy as they accuse me of being.

There has been no discussion with me about the coin or their problem with it only the flame postings which seem to fly in the face of the spirit of geocaching.

I just don't get it. It is a great welcome from the leaders of the Bay Area geocaching organization.

There are actually two threads in the GBA forums about the coin design. One may be only viewable only by members though (I'm not 100% sure).

To be fair, I didn't see anything 'mean' or any flames in any of the posts here. Just a few people expressing thier opinions, that's all.

"It's a great welcome......" - not the way to make friends.

It is funny that the complaint is that no input was taken and the GBA is working on a coin.  I went to their forum and there is no mention of it.  So if they are working on a coin it seems to be every bit as stealthy as they accuse me of being.

Yes... cleverly hidden in the "pinned" topic titled "How about A GBA Coin" (in the "General Geocaching" area) where there are several drafts of the coin being displayed and discussed by a bunch of area cahcers. But you would not have seen it unless you joined the forum. My guess is you did not. I guess we have differing ideas of what "mean" and "flame" are. I haven't seen anything that strikes me as mean or flaming from anyone. If it is a personal coin then fine... that part was never answered from you. If it was meant to represent the area, it would have been nice if you'd checked around a bit... it would have been nice but certainly not a requirement... just nice.

Oh, and since you are sort of new... welcome to geocaching. Maybe we'll run into each other on the trails some day.

Edit: got distracted. kealia beat me to it.

Edited by mini cacher

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so this one is tempting...

Is the San Francisco Geocoin considered a personal Geocoin? The reason I ask is that some Geocoin collectors prefer trading for those, instead of organizational or state ones. (In fact, with a little research, you'll find that some of the most notable Geocoin colletors will trade for personal ones ONLY :D )

You are welcome to visit The GBA (Geocachers of the Bay Area) site and join the forums there - you do need to create an account, which is free. We are working on a Geocoin that represents the entire Bay Area, and you can read about it there.

I think there's been some misunderstanding, some toes stepped on, and hurt feelings. Southbayday is putting out a coin that looks like it will be popular, and he has every right to do so. I think maybe at this point it just needs to be made clear that it's a coin that, so far as I know, he's done on his own. It's not a San Francisco geocoin made by San Francisco geocachers, but by an enthusiastic individual.

Most buyers just don't care about any of that, they just want the coin. :D But some people (and groups) do care about the details for whatever reason and it's good that they know them. For example, one coin group doesn't do group buys of personal coins, so when a coin like this comes out it's helpful to know if the coin is being offered by an individual, or a regional group of some sort. And as they posted, the PCC group wants too know so they know which of two competing coins to order in these cases.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of putting out a coin for a given area without involving the locals in any way. But that's just me, and southbayday can make his own decisions. :D

Not sure that I said anything mean or flame worthy up there. Other locals from the SF bay area have addressed the inaccuracies in your response so I won't repeat that here.

Do as you please with your SF coin.

Also please note that I do not represent the GBA... nor do I pretend to be a leader of them. But I shouldn't expect you to know that seeing as how you haven't taken the time to browse the local site that you see listed on many of the cache pages you have recently visited.

Keep in mind that I'm just the poor fool that wades through all of the coins in these forums with the good intent of getting people a decent set of geocoins while saving shipping costs. It's not a very fun or rewarding job and with your help probably one that I'll retire from in the near future.

Anyway, when I see something out of whack I'll always post my opinion. You got my opinion above, if you don't like it then so be it.

I would like to trade for one of my coins (I know you're not looking for these emails yet). I have a bridge on my coin that (not-coincidentally) looks a lot like the one on your coin. :D

I would highly recommend sending a photo of the bridge to the mint and having their artist add detail to the deck. See my coin, which has a much smaller bridge image for the fine detail that can be added. Click the link in my signature line.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will take a look at your coin and see what I can do.

My opinion on this is that if a coin is going to be trackable on geocaching.com as a personal geocoin, then it should have the name of the geocacher who's geocoin it is. I'm sure that is in Groundspeak's guidelines for approving personal geocoins (guidelines that maybe we can't see). What's the point of having a personal geocoin category if it is not personal.

Has this cacher already got pre-approval from Groundspeak to have this design trackable? It doesn't appear so, but I could be mistaken. If this coin wasn't stated as being trackable on geocaching.com, I wouldn't be commenting on this thread. But since it is, I am kind of curious how this will all play out, and if Groundspeak will approve a design under the "personal geocoin" category even if it is not a personal design. Enquiring minds want to know.

If it is a personal geocoin design, it calls into question why the subject of San Francisco was chosen for the design. Why is it near and dear to this cacher's heart? It may very well have strong meaning to the cacher, but it's hard to say since they haven't ever posted any finds on any SF caches.

To the geocoin designer: Don't let my ramblings be taken in a negative way, as I am just curious about this whole process of making and selling geocoins. Joani and I plan to make our own personal geocoin in the near future so this subject is of interest to us. You've come up with a design of a nice looking geocoin. I look forward to finding one in sometime soon in a cache in our area.

--Marky