I Have A Question Regarding The "found Logs"

4leafclover

not that this has much to do with the discussion at hand... but.

The man that I gave JZ3494 to, passed away this weekend. I have a feeling that we will be doing soemthing special with his benchmark, and it might involve find logs of the sort not approved of.

just a minor word of warning.

: Do we have a crying smilie?:

Katie,

That is to bad, and yes we have a crying smilie... <_<

You know that you have our blessings to do what you want with "Your Benchmarks".

Shirley & John

You know that you have our blessings to do what you want with "Your Benchmarks".

Shirley & John

I see you continue to assert your authority to establish whatever rules you want for benchmark logging on this site, or, rather, advocate for no rules at all.

I assume that your little "contest" has as a subtext the expansion of your rules to cover the site, such as the ability to log intersection stations from miles away.

Here is what this is what Geocaching.com has to say:

What is a Benchmark?

"These markers are part of the geodetic control network created and maintained by the National Geodetic Survey (NGS). The NGS maintains a database of these locations. In the database, each geodetic control marker has a PID (Permanent IDentifier) number, and a datasheet of information about it. Although much of the descriptive (how to find it) data is outdated, the surviving markers remain vitally important to the conduct of our nation's commerce."

This is only one of many references in geocaching that clearly indicate that benchmark hunting consists of looking for markers that are part of the geodetic control network created and maintained by the National Geodetic Survey. Therefore, it is clear that when one encounters a disk that is no longer a part of the geodetic control network, no benchmark has been found. The best that can be said is that it is evidence that a bench mark is destroyed, if the former location of the disk is known.

So 4leafclover, just so you know, when anyone logs an unattached disk as a "Found It," they are wrong and you you do not have my blessing for that. Not that that will stop anyone from doing it if they lack the integrity to begin with.

Edited by GH55

Considering how many Geocachers log less than a DOZEN benchmarks in their entire time as cachers and considering also the number of erroneous logs they make, it is a moot point about whether they are doing it "Properly" or not. Most could care less whether there is a proper format to logging benchmarks.

If these people were trying to log with the NGS, then yes there would be a problem, but since the majority will never look at the "Benchmark Hunting" forum there is no reason to get so excited over how they choose to play the game.

As to the "Contest" logging intersection stations from over a mile away - guess what - as long as they have a clear picture it will count. Surveyors USED to use them from a distance, so it is acceptable to log them from a distance.

If the good folks from the NGS want to enter the contest and log intersections from a distance, also, that would be fine with us. If they would want to get as close as possible, then that would work for us, also.

It is only a game and since we are donating the prize we get to set the rules. If you choose to have a contest and donate the prize, you can set the rules and we will be glad to follow them (if we participate).

John

not that this has much to do with the discussion at hand...  but.

The man that I gave JZ3494 to, passed away this weekend.  I have a feeling that we will be doing soemthing special with his benchmark, and it might involve find logs of the sort not approved of.

just a minor word of warning.

: Do we have a crying smilie?:

Katie,

That is to bad, and yes we have a crying smilie... :huh:

Shirley & John

thanks Shirley. I appreciate that, especially now.

and to the next post...WHAT ever.

>Surveyors USED to use them from a distance, so it is acceptable to log them from a distance

Surveyors who formerly used or (less often nowdays) presently use intersection stations make very sure that they are the right tank, tower, etc. which may require close examination, before they sight bearings on them from a distance. Furthermore, if a change slipped by them, they would have enough check readings from redundant stations in their data to determine that something doesn't match up, and would then figure out which object is the problem.

I can't let this pass as a valid reason to relax the need for certainty. Nor am I arguing that your contest needs a reason to be lax--it's not my contest.

WHAT ever.

I can't argue with that.

then please don't.

Just realize as I sit here, mourning the most wonderful man I ever knew, that perhaps the "game" has provided a loophole for many of us who will take a chance to log the benchmarks in his honour.

It is NOT about disrespecting a game or its rules. It now has become a matter that because the "found log" feature is not disabled on a destroyed mark, some of us will use it to pay tribute to a person who has touched more lives than I can possibly imagine.

it may have started out as "just something silly to do"...but I think you will begin to see subsequent logs as a form of our therapy in grieving Eric Sherwood, aka SherwoodForest.

WHAT ever.

I can't argue with that.

then please don't.

Just realize as I sit here, mourning the most wonderful man I ever knew, that perhaps the "game" has provided a loophole for many of us who will take a chance to log the benchmarks in his honour.

It is NOT about disrespecting a game or its rules. It now has become a matter that because the "found log" feature is not disabled on a destroyed mark, some of us will use it to pay tribute to a person who has touched more lives than I can possibly imagine.

it may have started out as "just something silly to do"...but I think you will begin to see subsequent logs as a form of our therapy in grieving Eric Sherwood, aka SherwoodForest.

Katie, maybe when I see you at the funeral Friday, we can make arrangements for me to photograph and log my very first benchmark. It's an activity I've thus far resisted, mainly due to the stuff I read in this forum. But I suppose one log can't hurt; it'll add an icon to my list while also paying tribute to my friend's memory.

Also, I would like to thank 2oldfarts (the rockhounders) for posting to this thread from the perspective of someone who "gets it."

the perspective of someone who "gets it."

Please forgive me for taking creative license with my editing.

My intent is to neutrally say that there is more than one perspective. But I think both camps in the debate over "gets it" are seeing this from a different perspective.

Each ultimately "Get's it", in their own perspective way, but those are very different perspectives. What is alright for one is not so good for the other and so on when the roles are reversed via perception. It is perhaps a Ford vs Chevy or a Liberal vs Conservative thing, and always will be.

I think the one who gets it best, is the one who gravitates to the way they want to play the best, and surrounds themselves with other players of their kind. This may mean that since there are two forums, perhaps the ones who take the game as more serious should spend more time playing their way in a forum for more serious players, and the people who like the game to be less serious and more open to various rules or less rules should let the game take whatever shape that is in this forum. It seems more people would be better served, and people could then play the way they feel is a best fit for them with less disagreement over what that should be.

I mean maybe we are seeing that this is not just one game anymore, Perhaps it is really two.

In the interest of everyone playing the way they like best,

Rob

WHAT ever.

I can't argue with that.

then please don't.

Katie, maybe when I see you at the funeral Friday, we can make arrangements for me to photograph and log my very first benchmark. It's an activity I've thus far resisted, mainly due to the stuff I read in this forum. But I suppose one log can't hurt; it'll add an icon to my list while also paying tribute to my friend's memory.

Also, I would like to thank 2oldfarts (the rockhounders) for posting to this thread from the perspective of someone who "gets it."

Lep...you may log them both. But I want you to log JZ3494 first.

That one is Eric's, and I should be able to get his parents to bring it to the service on Friday.