What Do You Do With Your Coins?

DancesWithMoose

I have mine in the plastic coin sheets stored in a nice zipper binder.

I guess I should clarify. Putting the coins in a coin book is what I do with my keepers. Keeping them in their original plastic packets, along with any information, is what I do with my traders. That way they're still in their original state, unactivated. (I have heard horror stories of some people activating their coins before trading them to somebody else. :()

Uh, nobody puts the coins that are trackable at geocaching.com (or elsewhere) in a cache? I don't understand the point of tracking personal coins, if they never go anywhere except an album!

(not that I would put my own coins in a cache since they would be taken and disappear anyway)

Uh, nobody puts the coins that are trackable at geocaching.com (or elsewhere) in a cache? I don't understand the point of tracking personal coins, if they never go anywhere except an album!

(not that I would put my own coins in a cache since they would be taken and disappear anyway)

I will eventually put the coins I keep in an album...

I have released about 10 of our f0t0m0m coins (GC.com trackable) into caches, and I will continue to release them a few at a time... I intend to release at least 100 into caches..

Mine are in mulitple hand made coin racks free standing so I can fondle them as desired.

Yes, I said fondle. I don't like collecting things that can't be touched (behind glass walls, etc.) but that's just me.

Anything I plan to trade is in it's original case/sleeve.

Mine are in mulitple hand made coin racks free standing so I can fondle them as desired.

Yes, I said fondle. I don't like collecting things that can't be touched (behind glass walls, etc.) but that's just me.

Anything I plan to trade is in it's original case/sleeve.

Dam - I guess I have something in common with Kealia :blink:

The touching is also one reason I like the coins WITHOUT the epoxy covering. I prefer to fondle the cool metal rather than the plastic coating.

I put the ones I like the most in air tight holders (and let me tell ya it was hard finding one that my Rubicon Brothers coin would fit in). I would never use a binder, because they're not air tight. 50 years from now you're all going to have a collection of tarnished coins. :blink:

It's amazing that the tarnish rubs off with frequent handling :blink:

I put the ones I like the most in air tight holders (and let me tell ya it was hard finding one that my Rubicon Brothers coin would fit in). I would never use a binder, because they're not air tight. 50 years from now you're all going to have a collection of tarnished coins. :blink:

It's amazing that the tarnish rubs off with frequent handling :ph34r:

Okay, okay, I admit it. I'm with you, I like to be able to touch the coins, too. I just like to play it safe so I use the holders for added protection. I also enjoy carrying them around sometimes to show off, and a binder is just too bulky. It's strange, I know, but let's just say that Moun10Bike and Swags have been introduced to many people. :blink:

Uh, nobody puts the coins that are trackable at geocaching.com (or elsewhere) in a cache? ...

Ok I forgot, I have a few waiting for a cache to put them in. In addition to that I've got 12 or 14 (I can't recall) that I'm trying to figure out how to give everone in my area an equil shot at getting. Most of of those are from the IGO group, and a couple I kicked in.

I only have ONE coin at the moment - the GeoBone that I won! It's sitting right here on my desk where I can look at it and occasionally pick it up and handle it. I've ordered a 4 more coins - 2 each of different coins. I intend to keep one of each and put the others in caches. The duplicate Christmas Coin I intend to put into a cache just after Thanksgiving as a FTF prize.

I can't afford to blow a ton of cash on coins and I really hate knowing that when I release a trackable coin it's likely to be stolen. (Of course the FTF Christmas Coin I fully expect to be kept as a FTF prize.) I'm new to caching (117 finds) and I've never found a coin yet and don't really expect to find one. (But I can always hope and if it's a trackable coin you can be sure I'll send it on its way again rather than keeping it.)

I built a coin rack and mounted them in my living room.

In 2-3 weeks I should have some full size and half size shelves ready to sell if anyones interested.

Since your planning on selling them, I bet you wouldn't want to give a guy the dimensions for that beautiful rack... :blink:

It is about 7 coins wide :blink:

From my own experience, I would suggest that the rack is just about 12" wide. That would make the height roughly 24".

How's my estimate?

From my own experience, I would suggest that the rack is just about 12" wide. That would make the height roughly 24".

How's my estimate?

Give the man a prize he guesses correctly :D

12 X 24 X 1 1/4

The rack pictured is my prototype to see how well it would look. I haven't done a project like this in years and to say I'm rusty would be an understatement, I re-learned a lot of lessons in woodworking building it. :D

The final design will be slightly different, the shelves will be a bit closer together and I think I can fit an extra shelf in without crowding them to close.

The bottom shelf has a slightly bigger grove with a back support to hold the larger and lamented coins.

Once I have a few ready to ship I'll post pictures and a price. right now, depending on what the shipping rates will be it's looking like they'll be about $22 and $35 for the half and full size (postage included in that price)

I only have ONE coin at the moment - the GeoBone that I won!  It's sitting right here on my desk where I can look at it and occasionally pick it up and handle it. I've ordered a 4 more coins - 2 each of different coins. I intend to keep one of each and put the others in caches.  The duplicate Christmas Coin I intend to put into a cache just after Thanksgiving as a FTF prize.

I can't afford to blow a ton of cash on coins and I really hate knowing that when I release a trackable coin it's likely to be stolen. (Of course the FTF Christmas Coin I fully expect to be kept as a FTF prize.)

Well you could always trade those extra's, that way it saves you money and you get coins out of trading them. Once you drop them into caches they generally disapear anyways.Unless you drill a hole into them then you might get lucky and someone would move it to another cache.

We asked a few coin dealer what to put them in, they told us that putting them in binder coin pages contain oils and will slowly tarnish over time and decreases the value of the coins if we were to ever sell them. So we put the ones we keep in Mylar coin holders then take the stickers off of the original package and put them on the back of the holders, then they into our binder. The extra's that we trade goes in a rubbermade container kept in the original packages with all the info.

Edited by Mystery Ink

I love coins...all types of coins. I love finding and buygin geocoins as well as coins from foreign countries...the currency and geocoins all tell stories about the people who make and use them.

I move coins into and out of geocaches, leave them around my house where I can enjoy them, share them with my students as a part of my classroom teaching, and give them to my son Ben to play with and enjoy.

When a geocoin has the express purpose of moving towards a specific place or goal, I keep it on track, but in other cases I just let them move into and out of my life as they will.

nfa-jamie

So we put the ones we keep in Mylar coin holders

The thing I hate about the Mylar holders is how do you seal them without using staples? I hate the look of staples on there.

Well you can use clear tape staples dont bother me too much since the coins are so snug they dont move. Or better yet duck tape, duck tape is one of mans greatest inventions. :D

Edited by Mystery Ink

I'm surprized at the lengths folks are going to in order to preserve these coins. I never really viewed them a collectible with any real value, but rather as a souvenir of a hobby I enjoy.

I've placed at least 30-50 coins into caches -- maybe I should have sold them! (naw.... too much fun watching the trackable ones travel ;) )

I have found a way that *seems* to get trackable coins travelling. I deface them. Not terribly, but I scratch the paint or surface enough to make them far less desirable, immediately recognizable as "used" and it seems to work!

Although I am not crazy about the staples in the mylar holders, that is what I do. I also heard about the vinyl sheets outgassing, so I put my coins in the holders.

I am getting some pretty big guns carrying this binder around to events and such. It must weigh in at 20 pounds or so.

Here is a pic of one page. (Sorry, not the trackable coins!)

e7f39ac3-1cbf-4ed0-b0dd-d309c5d21d37.jpg

Although I am not crazy about the staples in the mylar holders, that is what I do. I also heard about the vinyl sheets outgassing, so I put my coins in the holders.

I am getting some pretty big guns carrying this binder around to events and such. It must weigh in at 20 pounds or so.

Ooo, that top right coin is a good looking one! ;)

You wouldn't think I would have trouble finding coin supplies here in NYC, but I haven't found a single coin shop yet!