San Diego County – Kache Kharma Hall Of Fame

PassingWind

Container was shoved about five feet into the pipe hidey hole at GCNWPR Instant cash. A rock also blocked the pipe inlet.

Used auto jack handle to tease the container out and then blocked the pipe with a rock so that the container can't be shoved more than a foot inside. Tough enough as it is due to Oak Tree branches and leaves. Bleeding stopped after a while.

Almost got busted by a Forest Service patrol while doing the good deed.

"No good deed goes unpunished." - Luce's Law

Edited by SD Rowdies

The latest cache that I was fortunate enough to help with was the "Homer #1 Poway" cache. (GCPE8M)

The log was a soaked roll, so I put more paper in a small zip-loc with a golf pencil, and added it to the container. There are many others that got a new pencil or some cool new trade items without anything taken, while I or we were there, but this last one sticks out right now.

Here are some things I have at the ready while on the hunt, to help maintain a cache:

- Small Ziploc baggies

- Golf Pencils

- Rolls of calculator paper, for replacement micro logs

- Superglue, for magnets, etc.

- Black electrical tape

- Black Sharpie

- Bicycling Multi-Tool

I figure, every cache has it's own wear and tear issues, but if even a few of us do something to extend its longevity, we all benefit. Nothing too heroic, just a nice thing to do.

:D

FlagMan 01/10/06

The Womb

Retrieved "delivered" ammo can, cleaned-up & added swag, dried out logbook, and replaced the cache back to it's "Womb".

This deserves a big round of applause and an extra dose of Karma. With DJ & PW down FlagMan steps up to deliver!!  :(

Thank you!!

My pleasure (well, I am a little sick, you know). Just trying to get my foot out of my mouth...

Edited by FlagMan
:D

FlagMan 01/10/06

The Womb

Retrieved "delivered" ammo can, cleaned-up & added swag, dried out logbook, and replaced the cache back to it's "Womb".

This deserves a big round of applause and an extra dose of Karma. With DJ & PW down FlagMan steps up to deliver!!  :(

Thank you!!

My pleasure (well, I am a little sick, you know). Just trying to get my foot out of my mouth...

That's pr'bly what made ya sick in the first place!

D

What's happening with bikedog's caches?

Parsa

My suggestion would be to give Howling Wolf and K-NIC first opportunity to adopt any or all of them before anyone else should offer to adopt them...

I asked that question yesterday to Howling Wolf and K-Nic and I believe they want to keep them in bikedog's name......as a collective group we could provide matinenance as needed.

Here's a copy of my log from T.R. Violin's GCR9RA "Without Reason" cache that I scored today.

"Without Reason" my foot, you just have to look at it from the wildlife point of view. After plodding up here I couldn't locate the container. One thing I knew, T.R. sets good coordinates but still no cigar. I looked and looked all around haunted by the dread of coming this far and this high for naught.

As I expanded my search area I encountered a large bedding ground for deer located about twenty yards north of the posted coordinates. Spread all around two of the deer wallows was remnants of the cache but no container. The logbook, cards, and pencils were chewed and partly eaten and a few swag items were spread around on the matted grass. I doffed my Tilley and gathered up the strewn remnants. As I looked further I found the empty cache container but not the lid.

I used the good remaining section of the logbook to record my find and then sorted remnants into two piles, swag and trash. I used the largest remaining section of a chewed ziplock bag as a container cover and then built a really obvious stone cairn to protect the hide. Of course I pocketed the trash and carried it back to the Mast trailhead, thus scoring a CITO deed as well as a cache find.

I certainly hope that the deer appreciate the fact that I took the lumps out of their bedding grass. Honestly, we've all heard of caches being muggled but deergled?

Next one coming this way should kindly bring a new container.

It's always something,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies