Bookmark Lists On Cache Pages Are A Bad Idea

cezanne

It would be more complicated but Amazon uses their "bookmarks" as a suggestion for finding other things of interest (similar to how it's being used here, but in a more heuristic manner).

Instead of necessarily putting all lists that the cache is a member of, what about lists containing a significant number of similar style caches.

I think I suggested something like this way back here. My idea was to limit this to lists of favorite caches and to list caches that occured on anybody's public favorite list that also included this cache. Note Jeremy's reply to my post immediately following it. Don't say Jeremy doesn't keep his word (or is that a different thread?) :blink:

My text indicated that the favorites list would be one type of list. I didn't say that it would be the only type listed.

Amazon.com does exactly what bookmark lists do here, or better put, Geocaching.com bookmark lists very closely mimic how they work on amazon.com, but more in the "Listmania!" section and not "So You'd like to" list. I'm sure it is possible to have a "Books that suck" list on there as well.

Amazon.com does exactly what bookmark lists do here, or better put, Geocaching.com bookmark lists very closely mimic how they work on amazon.com, but more in the "Listmania!" section and not "So You'd like to" list. I'm sure it is possible to have a "Books that suck" list on there as well.

Yes, I was drawing my corrollary to Amazon's Listmania...but with a twist similar to the "maybe you'd also like to buy this book too".

Instead of simply regurgitating a list of bookmark lists where the specific cache appears, a list of bookmark lists could be generated where some shared characteristic to the specific cache is found in a significant amount of the list.

If I make a list of "Cool Webcam Caches", then when someone looks at The Not-on-Ju66l3r's Webcam Cache List Webcam Cache, my list would come up as a suggested bookmark list.

I do not fully agree. You might be right if you only consider the rating aspect of bookmark lists shown at cache pages. The lists of type "Caches that suck" are not the biggest issue.

You seem to ignore the spoiler aspect I mentioned above. Another difference is that I am not forced to have a look at Amazon lists and comments by Amazon users on a certain book. I am forced, however to use the cache description of multi caches and of mystery caches. There is no way to avoid seeing the classification that typically results from displaying the name of the bookmark lists to which the cache under investigation belongs to.

I cannot see which convincing reasons can be brought up for not implementing one of the alternatives suggested in this thread which offer the owner of a cache some sort of control on whether his cache is marked by the names of the bookmark lists which contain that cache.

Cezanne

Instead of simply regurgitating a list of bookmark lists where the specific cache appears, a list of bookmark lists could be generated where some shared characteristic to the specific cache is found in a significant amount of the list.

Interesting. One of the "shared characteristics" should be location. When viewing a local cache, it is hardly useful to see a bookmark list of favorite caches that contains that one favorite cache found during a visit to Seattle and then 50 more favorites found during a month long backbacking trip through South America. While geocaching might be a world wide activity, I can't imagine that large of a percentage of cachers do that much world wide caching on a regular basis. (Yes I know it happens but it can't possibly be the "norm")

More useful would be lists of caches in a particular area (ie Caches Around Green Lake) or of a particular theme (ie the previously mentioned Indiana Spirit Quest serries). Viewing one cache gives you an easy way to pop over to the complete list.

most bookmarks i know are dealing with recommendable caches in a certain region. so, give the bookmarkholder the possibility to enter relevant coords to his bookmark. that should solve the search problem from a cachepage or a viewed bookmark.

However, there are bookmark lists like this one, which cannot be "localized" by a single coordinate. Personally, I like it that public bookmarks are directly linked to the caches contained in it. But I also see cezanne's point, and a good compromise IMHO could be just adding a link to a list of those bookmarks featuring the cache ("This cache is listed in 3 bookmark lists - click here to see them.").

Besides, I fully agree with HHL: a search feature (maybe a keyword search in the names of the lists?) could be quite useful in finding relevant bookmark lists.

Best regards,

Holger

cezanne, I see your point. I just looked at one of the caches that's part of my bookmarked list. I hadn't appreciated that the name of the list would appear directly on the cache page. Mine are fairly innocuous, but I have been annoyed by navigation explanations in some people's logs. The name of that list is "Driving up Croom and Croom Nobelton Roads". Which simultaneously provides navigating instructions and suggests that the caches on the list are of the park and grab variety (which, if you consider a pleasant .4 walk a park n grab, they are). Perhaps an "opt out" feature, or at least stripping the bookmarked list name, providing just a "bookmarked list" link. In the meantime, it's rather like spoiler logs, all you can do is contact users and ask them to change their list description, or delete your cache from it. On the whole I still like this feature very much, but I see the spoiler issue. I hope it's addressed in the future.

What I like about the lists is that when you find a cache that you may like, for whatever reason, there could be a list of similar caches for possibly the same reasons

So, if are visiting Smallville and while browsing caches you find a cache with great log entries, designed for kids, alonf Green Lake Drive your could see bookmarks such as

Kids Caches around Smallville

- by Elmo and Family

My Favorites

- by Trail Cruiser

Caches Near Green Lake

- by FishingDude

My Favorites

- by SuperKid

Caches too close to the road

- by Long Hikes Only

Then this would possibly be helpful to find the caches you are looking for.

I love the bookmarks, and think they were an innovative change to the cache pages, and have tons of useful functions. I have used them to create a top 10 list, a unique cache listing, a series lists (my own caches) so far.

This being said, I second the notion of concern about spoilers. Prior to bookmarks, cache owners could "audit" spoiler information appearing on or about their caches, especially mystery/puzzle/unknown caches. Now, someone could create a list (even one favorable, such as a top 10 favorites), but state something like "hey, I really liked computing high tide on December 10, 1951 at Inchon and learning it was a 13 foot difference!" that spoils the puzzle. Unfortunately, the cache owner has no control of an easily accessible solution such as this, especially seeing it is a simple click away from the cache page.

I am not being naive here in realizing this information could possibly float out there already. However, at least before the cache owner could control the information/spoilers in relation to the cache page, but now there is one aspect they may perhaps loose their vote on, and/or intention for, the cache. Is this likely to occur? Perhaps not. Can the community self-police these types of things? Probably. Yet, that is not the point.

I commented on this yesterday, in another thread. I think that cache owners should be allowed to block specific bookmark lists from appearing on their cache page. Perhaps the OP suggestion is a good one. When someone adds a cache to a public, shared bookmark list (or makes a bookmark list public/shared) the cache owner is notified. The owner can then accept/reject whether the bookmark appears on the cache page or not.

I like this idea very much. I use Bookmark lists myself but I want to have control about bookmark lists shown with my cache description. I know some useful public listings (they were shared until now and added as link to every Cache of the list) and I know listings that had to be changed after "going public" on demand of some Cacheowners.

I would really appreciate the possibility to reject being on a special bookmark-list.

Dunja

This being said, I second the notion of concern about spoilers.  Prior to bookmarks, cache owners could "audit" spoiler information appearing on or about their caches, especially mystery/puzzle/unknown caches.  Now, someone could create a list (even one favorable, such as a top 10 favorites), but state something like "hey, I really liked computing high tide on December 10, 1951 at Inchon and learning it was a 13 foot difference!" that spoils the puzzle. 

[some stuff deleted]

However, at least before the cache owner could control the information/spoilers in relation to the cache page, but now there is one aspect they may perhaps loose their vote on, and/or intention for, the cache.  Is this likely to occur?  Perhaps not.  Can the community self-police these types of things?  Probably.

First, of all thank you for seconding my concern.

I agree with you that spoilers of the type you mentioned will probably not arise that often and it should be possible to handle them within the community. The type of spoiler I was more concerned about regards spoilers that result from a much less deliberate action.

Writing the solution of a puzzle into a bookmark list or a place that is linked from there, is something which is certainly done with some "evil intention". Listing a cache on a list of cave caches or a list of caches along a certain hiking route etc is something which might simply be the result of the attempt of the owner of the bookmark list to remember all caches he knows where caves play a role or a certain hiking route plays a role etc. I do not think that many cachers will look up once again the descriptions of all caches they include into a bookmark list - and the memory of many people will not be that good to be able to remember whether a certain fact about a cache is known from the description or just a visit of the cache.

In the US such situations occur much less likely than in some European countries where many multi and mystery caches show up and where it is often part of the cache to offer a surprise to the cachers by not telling thembeforehand to which region the cache will lead them to.

For that reason, I would appreciate it very much if the cache owner could get some sort of control allowing him to have his cache deleted from a specific bookmark list.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne
...For that reason, I would appreciate it very much if the cache owner could get some sort of control allowing him to have his cache deleted from a specific bookmark list.

That's where I have the problem.

Make it so that the cache owner can opt out of having a bookmark list display on his/her page as being a part of the bookmark list, but the bookmark list is "owned" by the person creating it.

If I wanted to create a public list of caches called "Caches where Markwell was really disappointed" - I'd defend the cache owner's right to not have that list displayed on the cache page, but don't take it one step further by giving the right of the cache owner to remove the cache from the list.

...For that reason, I would appreciate it very much if the cache owner could get some sort of control allowing him to have his cache deleted from a specific bookmark list.

Make it so that the cache owner can opt out of having a bookmark list display on his/her page as being a part of the bookmark list, but the bookmark list is "owned" by the person creating it.

If I wanted to create a public list of caches called "Caches where Markwell was really disappointed" - I'd defend the cache owner's right to not have that list displayed on the cache page, but don't take it one step further by giving the right of the cache owner to remove the cache from the list.

I agree with Markwell here...but I would make it "all or nothing."

I don't think it is fair for a cache owner to say "Yes, I like this list" and "No, I don't like that one."

Let the cache owner turn off the display of ALL bookmark lists. Do not let them pick and choose the ones they like.

I don't think it is fair for a cache owner to say "Yes, I like this list" and "No, I don't like that one."

Let the cache owner turn off the display of ALL bookmark lists. Do not let them pick and choose the ones they like.

By "all or nothing" I assume you mean on a cache by cache basis. Meaning, there is a check box in the cache edit page that says something like "don't display bookmarks on this cache page". I could see that.

Well, what I actually meant was blocking the display on the cache page. I had explained that in more detail above and was just attempting not to repeat what I have previously written. My concern was related only to the effects of bookmark lists shown on cache pages.

Cezanne

Actually, for me both versions would be ok. Offering the possibility to block only a subset of bookmark lists, might, however, constitute an advantage for the community.

Personally, I would block all bookmark lists by default in case I have to decide for all or nothing, and I would only block such lists which harm the cache in the case I am given the chance to decide on an individual basis.

Cezanne

If we blocked bookmark lists on cache pages it would be all or nothing. And a note would say:

The owner of this listing is blocking the display of bookmark lists. Click here to view them.

Would that be satisfactory?

Gets my vote (if I have a vote)

If we blocked bookmark lists on cache pages it would be all or nothing. And a note would say:

The owner of this listing is blocking the display of bookmark lists. Click here to view them.

I'd rather not allow a possibility to detour around the blocking (think of the spoilers!).

Just give the cache owner to not show any bookmark listings on his/her cache listing, plz.

BalkanSabranje

Thanks for considering this Jeremy, but I have one question. Why would it have to say "click here to view them"? To me, that just tempts someone to click on it, and if the owner's concern is spoilers, there would still be a high chance of someone clicking the link and seeing the spoiler.

The owner has control in every other aspect of what appears on their cache page. They can provide a hint or not. They can delete a log with spoilers. It seems like the control to not show bookmark lists (on the cache page) would also be logical.

I realize I'm getting nit-picky here. Like I said above, thanks for considering this and validating the "spoiler" objection. In the short time that I've been reading this board, I've been blown away by your openness and responsiveness to issues that are raised here. Keep it up!

EDIT: BalkanSabranje beat me to it.

Edited by DreadPirateRoberts

I'm going with Stunod here. Cachers are already allowed to encrypt parts of their logs, and the link is right there to decrypt. Same thing with the hints, a link decrypts them. So think of the link to show the hidden bookmarks like the decrypt link. Yes, the cache owner has control over the spoiler logs and clues. But part of the burden should be placed on the browsing cacher. Perhaps state the bookmarks may contain spoilers. I don't think the spoiler thing is too much of an issue though. I mean, how often do people put spoilers in their logs?

Edited by geognerd
I mean, how often do people put spoilers in their logs?

The owner of a cache can, however, delete such logs and require that new logs are written without spoilers. I know several cachers for whom encrypting spoilers in logs is not sufficient. Moreover, cache owners are notified of logs and so can react immediately which would not be the case for bookmark lists. (Who is checking his cache pages every day?)

Cezanne

You are not allowed to enter!

Enter? (Y)es / (N)o / (W)hatsup?"

:)

You are not allowed to enter!

Enter? (Y)es / (N)o / (W)hatsup?"

:)

Enter what?

Blocking lists will reduce the value of the list. The function of allowing one to place a cache on their list and then showing on the cache page something which basically says, "this cache is on my list" is something of value--real value.

If you allow folks to selectively blocks lists, it reduces the value. Might as well not allow any lists to be viewed on any cache page. The paranoia of spoilers is completely overblown in my opinion. Really, what difference would it be if there where spoilers in lists, on a cacher's profile, or on a regional forum?

I don't particularly care of the way the list thing is done now, I'd rather have something similar to the "watching" statement, but to remove it altogether reduces the functionality of this site and value of the bookmark lists.

If an owner wants to block a list, let them be blocked on all of their caches. Let their pride and joy caches have the "Best of..." lists be blocked along with their junky caches' "Worst of..." It would be the only fair thing right?

All or nothing based on all of their caches.

If an owner wants to block a list, let them be blocked on all of their caches. Let their pride and joy caches have the "Best of..." lists be blocked along with their junky caches' "Worst of..." It would be the only fair thing right?

Oooh I like that!

I also think that the concern for spoilers is purely hypothetical and grossly overblown.

well, i'd feel honor bound to allow my cache to stand with "caches that suck" as part of its provenance.

i am concerned with bookmark lists that may include spoiler information. it happens; i've seen it.

so yes, i guess i could block ALL the bookmark lists from my caches out of my concern for spoilers, but then you'd also miss the lists like "good caches for the visitor to northern vermont", which is something of value.

my desire not to have direct links to spoilers does not diminishe tha value of the other information, unless your concept of the bookmark lists is limited to reviews of cache quality.

that WOULD diminish the value of the information if the owners simply blocked unhappy feedback.

my bookmark lists are almost entirely meant to help "people from away" find caches that will suit their trip to my area.

...One of the "shared characteristics" should be location.  ...

Another example of why a central location may not be as improtant are my bookmark lists (works in progress) for caches along a route. In my specific case, along the I-75 corridor from Michigan to the south. The only one I've spent much time updating is my I-75 Caches in Ohio Bookmark list.

My public bookmark lists also bring up the issue of negative cache reviews. While I don't rate any caches as " it sucks", a number of caches are listed as "Pre-Planned Only" or "Time Consuming" as they require information or many stages which would not available at the cache site or too time intensive for travelers. Puzzle caches would also fall into those categories.

I think that cache owners should be given the privilege of blocking public lists on their caches page but it should not be an automatic block just because that cacher doesn't like lists. If blocked, it should still be noted that the cache is on a bookmark list, just not showing which list. Then you can search out the local list of "sucky caches"" if you want to see if it's included.

...One of the "shared characteristics" should be location.  ...

Another example of why a central location may not be as improtant are my bookmark lists (works in progress) for caches along a route.

I never advocated a central location. There have been several splinter conversations going on here and I think you took my comment out of context of one of those conversations. But your example of caches along a route further point out that a list of bookmark lists that any given cache is on may not be very useful at all. I think it all depends on the cache, the bookmark lists and the viewer.

But your example of caches along a route further point out that a list of bookmark lists that any given cache is on may not be very useful at all. I think it all depends on the cache, the bookmark lists and the viewer.

"May or may not be useful to you" is a better way of putting it I think. Ranked by ratings would help. There are plenty of lists for geocaching on Amazon.com that don't really interest me but they might interest someone else. This poin neither supports nor detracts from the benefit of bookmark lists.

"If you like x you may like y" possibilities are wonderous but are not something that geocaching.com could afford to do (or even has access to now that Likeminds -> Macromedia -> IBM -> forgotten product). If you are aware of a free (as in beer) Likeminds-style predictive engine software solution I'll definitely consider it.

(and apparently Wikipedia is to the rescue again. I'll have to look back into this stuff.)

If an owner wants to block a list, let them be blocked on all of their caches.  Let their pride and joy caches have the "Best of..." lists be blocked along with their junky caches' "Worst of..."  It would be the only fair thing right?

Oooh I like that!

I also think that the concern for spoilers is purely hypothetical and grossly overblown.

Brilliant idea from CR. Opt in or opt out. Clean and simple.

may not is not the same as is not.

My point was just having a list of bookmark lists does not automatically make that list useful since the only thing they have in common is that they share 1 known cache. And there is really no way to know what any given viewer is interested in seeing more of. But my general assumption is that "proximity" is likely to be a large factor... yet is not represented in the "list of lists". With the current set of data required to list a cache, I doubt there is enough data to run any "If you like x you may like y" type predictions. We don't have "lamp post micro" marked any differently than "film can in ivy". And some lists are purely thematic (all types, sizes and ratings).

"I think it all depends on the cache, the bookmark lists and the viewer."

So I guess we actually agree... yet you make it sound like we don't. :unsure:

So I guess we actually agree... yet you make it sound like we don't. :unsure:

I suppose we do, but I do think it can be useful anyway, especially for folks who have ADD and are just browsing around for neat and interesting caches. User clicks on "caches along I-5" hits cache 2, views a bookmark list, and so on. A "must see caches in Seattle" will be easily understood for someone visiting Seattle.

I'd expect that public bookmark lists will more than likely be created to help others. Some vague ones may occasionally show up but (hopefully) be hidden by more interesting ones. We'll just have to monitor the feature and correct issues when they happen.

I do not like an option to hide bookmark lists entirely. Not only would the browsing be stunted (user clicks on a cache in a bookmark list and dead-ends) but also the feature was meant to help people and the owner of the listing shutting down that feature can be unfair to the user.

User clicks on "caches along I-5" hits cache 2, views a bookmark list, and so on. A "must see caches in Seattle" will be easily understood for someone visiting Seattle.

Yes, those types of lists may be more useful than "top 10% favorite caches" lists... primarily because they have some "proximity" in common. :unsure:

I don't really support the total removal of the lists either. and I don't think spoilers are going to be that big of a problem. Any jack-hole that won't repsect the cache owner's wishes to remove the "spoiler" rightfully deserves the flamefest brought upon him in the forums.

I do support the change to make it like the watch list wording and linking it to the full list. This makes the info available to those that want it without compromising the cache page.

Edited by mini cacher

To me, it would be.

I mean spoilers could occur. But it's always the deliberate decision of the viewer to follow the link to the bookmarks - just as it is to read the logs, that are much more likely to include spoiling information (or sometimes not "all is positive" feedback on the cache). The decision should be more in the hands of the viewer, and not so much of the bookmark or cache owners.

Best regards,

HoPri

Yes, and it's your own caches? That's actualy not a bad idea for the cache owner to do.

Thanks. I got the idea from the Geocaching Topics forums. I do not remember who suggested they were going to do it. Anyhow, a well-planned series with some unique aspects (#3 is a nifty hide) is just sitting there, since folks around here shy away from puzzle/mystery types. Plus, I did not really give any hard answers out, I just lead the lost to where to find the answers.

At any rate, thanks for the comment. I will add that to the one "not useful vote," with an explanation of "this information should not be available from here" and feel better about myself. :laughing:

I mean spoilers could occur. But it's always the deliberate decision of the viewer to follow the link to the bookmarks - just as it is to read the logs, that are much more likely to include spoiling information (or sometimes not "all is positive" feedback on the cache). The decision should be more in the hands of the viewer, and not so much of the bookmark or cache owners.

I do not agree. Let's take for example the case of a cave cache where the hider wants to avoid that the searchers already know before they visit the cache that they will come across a cave.

If the cache description asks the finders not to mention something about the location, most cachers will comply with this wish - if some are not, the logs could be deleted and the effect still would be limited. (Moreover, there is a notification process for logs, but not for the inclusion of a cache into a bookmark list.) The situation is quite different for bookmark lists which are usually set up in a way that several different people suggest additions to the list and often the owner of the list does not even have visited all caches on his list or his visits are a while ago. In this manner, spoilers can happen very easily.

Certainly the cachers can decide whether they use spoiler info, but I would like to have the possibility to avoid the placement of spoiler information on my cache pages, or to have it deleted.

The example above is not constructed, and occured already several times. I could come up with many other examples as well, but of course I will not list any specific caches here. That would be a very crazy thing to do.

Personally I do not care if I only have an "all or nothing" alternative. I would choose the "nothing" option.

Cezanne

Only 6 accounts made lists public in the last few hours. There are 299 bookmark lists that are public at this time. Here they are (and I'd say the majority are pretty helpful or cool):

My Favorite Caches

Markwell Top 10%

The Moun10Bike 1%

Whidbey Island

United States Earthcache

Virtuals

The Leprechauns' Top 5% Greatest Cache Hunts

Tough Arizona Puzzles

Nashville's Best Views

Alpine Tours / Bergtouren

Shared, Public

Our top 5%

Favorites

Kid-friendly

Edinburgh Option 1 (The Royal Mile)

Nachtcaches rund um Ulm

Stuey's Top Ten

Travel Bug Hotels

Alphabet series

Der Schwarzwald rund um Freiburg

My Favorite Caches

Kuriositäten

Einsteigercaches im Raum Wien

WestwardHo's 4 mile loop trail

Best London Caches

Group Favorites

ralann's top 2%

Great Caches

Home Forest Security Series

Philadelphia Area Caches

Favorites

Planned Caches

Virginia caches

Favoriete Caches

My Favourite Caches

Meine Lieblinge

B&K's favorites

Unresolved Did Not Finds

DavidMac's Top 100

HoPri's favorite caches in Germany

HoPri's favorite caches (world-wide)

Bakers Dozen

Tharagleb's Top 5 Percent

Favorites

my favourite caches

3: Great Dorset Caches

2004 Favorite Caches

Challenging hides

Stearns Pond Loop

emzetts Lieblingscaches im Ruhrgebiet

Jeep Fun in the Black Hills!

Banana Joe's Favourite Caches

1: Special Caches

Fairchance Three

TB Hotels in Österreich

Ross's Caches

Palmetto Trail Caches

Arkhan's Favourite Caches

Georgia’s 10 Loneliest Geocaches

Tozainamboku's Geocoins

Project Ape Caches

My Favorites

2: Great Caches

Honeymoon caches

Halloween night caches

Venice

Favorite Puzzles

Summits and Peaks

Hardest UK Caches D4-5 & T4-5

First to Find

Edinburgh Option 2 (Holyrood Park)

Edinburgh Option 3 (Prince's Street)

Edinburgh Option 4 (A Bit of History)

Edinburgh Option 5 (The Water of Leith)

MA-93-495-28-125

Andover 28-114 Area

Austrian Literature

NoVA Puzzle Caches

Bug houses

Aan te bevelen caches

HoPri's caches for kids

Nog te doen!

Hikes by members of the GGA

Seven Ages of Man

Bucket of my Stuff

Dust Off 2005

Middlesex Trip

Indiana Spirit Quest Caches Century 3

Edinburgh Caches by Car

Trans Canada (Ottawa - Sault Ste Marie)

My Favorites

Longwalker's Favorites

River Trail in P.K.Smith, Croom Withlacoochee State Forest

North East Croom

Driving up Croom and Croom Nobleton Roads

Turnpike caches.

Favorites

Quick and scenic Comox Valley caches

Some favorite puzzles

Top 10 Cache Favs

Rayman's Favorites

Dust Off List for UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and Channel Islands

Igbayland

Iron Horse Trail - Hyak to Rattlesnake lake

North Coast Notes

My FTFs

Westchester Caches

Cool Caches

Memorable Finds

Austin Area Caches

HOMEWORK: Puzzle caches you solve at HOME, then find a REAL cache!

Middlesex Canal

Indiana Spirit Quest finds

Pawtuckaway

PW's Favorites

BROWN COUNTY State Park List

Not Favorite Caches

FTFs

Previously Owned Caches

Best caches HH has done by category.

Couch Caching

Favorite Caches

Armchair Caches