Whatever Happend To The Uk Coin

Maxine&Me

I asked that same question last week to the guy I sent my $ to. Here is what he had to say then:

"We are currently building the tracking site and I am trying to get enough money together to place the first order. The uptake has been so huge that it has far surpassed what we expected. We have forced a delay due to the launch of the EU coin as well but we are hoping to move things on very shortly.

Simon

www.geocoins.co.uk"

"We are currently building the tracking site and I am trying to get enough money together to place the first order. The uptake has been so huge that it has far surpassed what we expected. We have forced a delay due to the launch of the EU coin as well but we are hoping to move things on very shortly.

Simon

www.geocoins.co.uk"

Which is pretty close to what has been said every other time someone has asked, or posted a query on the thread.

I have a full-time job, and we took a long vacation this Fall. We have hosted two events since April, and are hosting another this weekend. We have designed and released 2 coins, have designed and are getting ready to release a third coin, and are designing a fourth coin. We also have assisted in designing other coins that are being or have been released by other cachers. All in the same time-frame that we have all been waiting for the UK coin. And this was me and the Mrs., not a group of cachers.

A new story from the UK would be at least a nice change.

"We are currently building the tracking site and I am trying to get enough money together to place the first order.  The uptake has been so huge that it has far surpassed what we expected.  We have forced a delay due to the launch of the EU coin as well but we are hoping to move things on very shortly.

Simon

www.geocoins.co.uk"

Which is pretty close to what has been said every other time someone has asked, or posted a query on the thread.

I have a full-time job, and we took a long vacation this Fall. We have hosted two events since April, and are hosting another this weekend. We have designed and released 2 coins, have designed and are getting ready to release a third coin, and are designing a fourth coin. We also have assisted in designing other coins that are being or have been released by other cachers. All in the same time-frame that we have all been waiting for the UK coin. And this was me and the Mrs., not a group of cachers.

Amen to that!

"We are currently building the tracking site and I am trying to get enough money together to place the first order.  The uptake has been so huge that it has far surpassed what we expected.  We have forced a delay due to the launch of the EU coin as well but we are hoping to move things on very shortly.

Simon

www.geocoins.co.uk"

Amen to that!

I believe that most people just want the coins, and the tracking is secondary. (Yes, it's nice to have an actual GC "trackable" coin, there's a prestige value to those, but to have one of the coins that are tracked on the coin's individual "home" web site doesn't seem to be an issue regarding sales. And often I've found they're not really tracked - just ownership is listed anyway.)

I think they could have sold (and shipped) a thousand of them in the time it's taking them to recover from their vacation and build their "site".

IMO.

--Marc

October 20, 2005 @ 10:25 AM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Edited by SilverMarc
I asked that same question last week to the guy I sent my $ to. 

I didn't think anyone had actually paid for these coins yet.

My 2 pennoth - I think this coin was conceived before the advent of regional coins on GC.com and unfortunately the organisers got a bit caught out. If it hasn't gone to mint yet, I think it would make more sense to call a halt and get it issued with GC.com tracking, which seems to be the way to go. However, I will still happily buy the coins I preordered whenever they turn up.

The other point I'd like to make is that comments were made about this guy getting over his holiday - We don't know this guy's personal circumstances - he may have come back from his hols with malaria or it could be a euphemism for some sort of personal problem he'd rather everyone didn't know. We all do this as a hobby, just because some of us manage to be superman/superwoman* doesn't mean we all can... (Ducks to avoid being flamed...)

Bambi.

* Delete as appropriate

The other point I'd like to make is that comments were made about this guy getting over his holiday - We don't know this guy's personal circumstances - he may have come back from his hols with malaria or it could be a euphemism for some sort of personal problem he'd rather everyone didn't know. We all do this as a hobby, just because some of us manage to be superman/superwoman* doesn't mean we all can... (Ducks to avoid being flamed...)

Bambi.

* Delete as appropriate

The last I heard, "holiday" meant, in the UK, vacation.

And, it's not just one person over there working on this. There are several people involved. Surely somone else could have been working on this.

We're not super--dammit--just efficient.

Yes, it is just a hobby/game. But, if you're gonna announce a coin, making the folks that are interested wait 5-6 months is not what I would call polite.

The other point I'd like to make is that comments were made about this guy getting over his holiday - We don't know this guy's personal circumstances - he may have come back from his hols with malaria or it could be a euphemism for some sort of personal problem he'd rather everyone didn't know.  We all do this as a hobby, just because some of us manage to be superman/superwoman* doesn't mean we all can... (Ducks to avoid being flamed...)

Bambi.

* Delete as appropriate

The last I heard, "holiday" meant, in the UK, vacation.

And, it's not just one person over there working on this. There are several people involved. Surely somone else could have been working on this.

We're not super--dammit--just efficient.

Yes, it is just a hobby/game. But, if you're gonna announce a coin, making the folks that are interested wait 5-6 months is not what I would call polite.

Yes, it does mean vacation! :lol:

I take your point, but I still think what I said stands - As far as I am aware, no-one has paid for this coin yet and we don't really know what the circumstances are, so I think laying into these guys is a little un-necessary.

BTW, we have nothing to do with this coin beyond being British...

Bambi.

We are really sorry for the dealy. The tracking site has not really been the delay but the pressures of life which I will not go in to here.

I have to complete the website then we will start to ask for payments and then place the order.

I am sorry Shop99er that you feel we have been impolite. I have replied to every single email on the subject over the past couple of months and I don't think we can be accused of that.

Hopefully they will be truly worth the wait but anyone has the option to remove themselves from the order list which will move those on the waiting list up the chain.

Simon

I'll vouch for Simon....he has been very good about answering all of my emails....and I feel he has been very truthful.

I figure it this way...The British just do things at a much more relaxed pace than we do here in the USA. I'm willing to wait. As long as I get the PayPal Invoice sometime, I'll be happy.

I am sorry Shop99er that you feel we have been impolite. I have replied to every single email on the subject over the past couple of months and I don't think we can be accused of that.

Hopefully they will be truly worth the wait but anyone has the option to remove themselves from the order list which will move those on the waiting list up the chain.

Simon

Simon,

First and foremost, this isn't personal, it's business. This was in no way meant as any sort of attack on you, and I apologize if you took it that way.

My point in that sentence was that when we, the folks that make coins, announce them, we should really be ready to go. Or very close.

There's no way in the world that I would ever consider cancelling my order.

Shop99er