Public & Shared Bookmark Lists

Urubu

I did a brief experiment by selecting the 'public' & 'shared' checkboxes on one of my bookmark lists. It worked as advertised: the pages for the caches on my list changed to include a "Bookmark Lists" bar with an indication that they were on my list.

However, once I had seen how it worked, I wanted to reverse the experiment and change the list back to unpublic and unshared. That did not work as expected: the list now says NO under SHARED? and the 'public' and 'shared' boxes are unchecked when I edit the bookmark list, but the cache pages that STILL include information saying that they're on my list. Here's one of the caches included on my list.

Is this a bug?? It seems that the decision to make a bookmark list public should be reversible.

- Urubu

* On further checking I have to add an amendment that makes this a much smaller problem: the "Bookmark List" information on the cache pages only seems to appear when I look at them under MY account. It seems that other users can no longer see that I have the cache bookmarked.

Edited by Urubu

Thanks, maingray and Jeremy. This behavior persisted over several hours, but in any case I think I may have misunderstood a fundamental point.

When I look at a cache page I've bookmarked (even in an unpublic/unshared bookmark list), should I see an indication that I've bookmared it in the new "BOOKMARK LIST" section? And is that information that others CAN'T see when they view the cache page?

Ah ha! This explains an earlier question I saw about "Ignore" lists showing up on the newly-designed pages. If I go to a cache page for a hide I'm ignoring, then I will see that information in the new BOOKMARK LIST section, but others will not. Correct?

It's a little odd to have the cache listings display different information to different users, but I guess I can adjust.

Thanks for the help.

- Urubu

Edited by Urubu

Just a suggestion... to clarify whether the displayed bookmarking information is or isn't available to others, maybe you could make it similar to the Watchlist information.

When I see 'You are 1 of 5 users watching this cache' I know immediately (because of the word you) that this is private information being displayed for me only -- others can't tell that I'm watching.

Bookmark lists are trickier because they may or may not be public, but you might be able to find some similar language that clarifies what part of the displayed information is private. For example, maybe

This cache is on your private bookmark list xxxx

This cache is on your public bookmark list yyyy

and then information about any (public) bookmarking by others.

??

Edited by Urubu

This cache is on your private bookmark list xxxx

This cache is on your public bookmark list yyyy

Great ideas. Another way would be to have a * and underneath say (*your private lists) but keeping them seperate would be useful. I'll make a note of it. Thanks!