Must Do Caches In San Diego

Duncan!

I just discovered this thread . . . thanks for the list Duncan!

I finally figured out how bookmarks work just yesterday and compiled a list of caches with a view.

Caches With a View

Some involve a long hike, others are easy, like "Vallecito Valley View."

Oh . . . and many of them are mine . . . <_<

Last week I did a few of the caches on the hill enveloped by San Elijo, La Costa Oaks, and the edge of Olivenhain. The views are terrific, especially from the cache situated at the summit. All recommended for a clear day when you can see blue water and mountains in every direction.

While you're at it, check out Copper Mine (one of the caches placed by Bike Dog). No views, but in the immediate area. It's one of those caches that makes you say "this is why I geocache!". My kids and I had no idea that there was an old copper mine in the neighborhood, or that we could find these neat little waterfalls so close to the developments.

Here's the list:

LA COSTA DOWNSIDE

TOP "O" LA COSTA

SUNRISE @ SAN ELIJO

Above The Oaks @ La Costa

Butterfly Hill, Maybe Jimmy Hoffa is buried here?

Copper Mine**NEW SPOT**

I just discovered this thread . . . thanks for the list Duncan!

I finally figured out how bookmarks work just yesterday and compiled a list of caches with a view.

Caches With a View

Some involve a long hike, others are easy, like "Vallecito Valley View."

Oh . . . and many of them are mine . . . <_<

Last week I did a few of the caches on the hill enveloped by San Elijo, La Costa Oaks, and the edge of Olivenhain. The views are terrific, especially from the cache situated at the summit. All recommended for a clear day when you can see blue water and mountains in every direction.

While you're at it, check out Copper Mine (one of the caches placed by Bike Dog). No views, but in the immediate area. It's one of those caches that makes you say "this is why I geocache!". My kids and I had no idea that there was an old copper mine in the neighborhood, or that we could find these neat little waterfalls so close to the developments.

Here's the list:

LA COSTA DOWNSIDE

TOP "O" LA COSTA

SUNRISE @ SAN ELIJO

Copper Mine**NEW SPOT**

Here's the list:

LA COSTA DOWNSIDE

TOP "O" LA COSTA

SUNRISE @ SAN ELIJO

Copper Mine**NEW SPOT**

Here's the less than effiecient loop that I took with Sirius Blackdog when I went for Top "O" La Costa, La Costa Downslide, and Sunrise at San Elijo. It was a very fun 3.7 miles, and the dog had a blast. I could say that the squiggle between Downside and Sunrise was a measure taken to give the dog more exercise, but I'd be a liar. I didn't plan my route and "took the hard way" rather than the trail!

a3ec9bf6-0e49-4672-845c-d508fc28d04d.jpg

ker-bump :rolleyes:

Did we ever get a master list?

I did have plans to put one together, but it's kinda low priority. Y'know, family (I have a three and a five year old), there's caching, caching and caching. I think I have a wife, lemme double check on that. All kidding aside, I really wanna make a list. If someone has more time and the inclination, by all means please make a master list. Otherwise, I'll try to make one soon (again, by soon, who knows??). End transmission.

D!

ker-bump :rolleyes:

I did have plans to put one together, but it's kinda low priority. Y'know, family (I have a three and a five year old), there's caching, caching and caching. I think I have a wife, lemme double check on that. All kidding aside, I really wanna make a list. If someone has more time and the inclination, by all means please make a master list. Otherwise, I'll try to make one soon (again, by soon, who knows??). End transmission.

D!

Thanks, I was just wondering. I am still pushing TPTB to do it. I am also still lobbying to the idea in the main threads like this one. But some people out there are really dense. I feel like I'm talking to the wall. I think we all agree that this would be a great idea if they ever did it! :rolleyes:

Well . . . I have nothing but time on my hands between my now-infrequent caching adventures, so, if you guys want to send me links to your Top Ten, or Top Twenty, local caches, I'll make up another Public Bookmark list to go along with my Memorable Caches and my Caches With A View and my Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches bookmarks.

Indiana Ed's Subterranean is one I think should make the list, as well as several Dak Girl caches and caches like Nobel Cache . . . which needs a new owner. :rolleyes:

Should we have two Must Do lists? One that visitors can get to easily and another one for people who have time to figure out puzzles and have gas money to drive all over the county. :rolleyes:

ker-bump :o

D!

Thanks, I was just wondering. I am still pushing TPTB to do it. I am also still lobbying to the idea in the main threads like this one. But some people out there are really dense. I feel like I'm talking to the wall. I think we all agree that this would be a great idea if they ever did it! :o

Yep I agree...I don't know why it is taking Duncan! so long....and how about the Trolley Cache list...when is that going to be done. You have a month to get it done...I am not around to cache on Fridays...so stop crying :o about it and do it. :rolleyes::o:o:rolleyes:

What did I do this time Jason?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1909397

The links are wacko when I quote, the above link should take you to the original post.

These lists are a good start.

PassingWind

faint.gif I have a 24 K dialup connection . . . I don't know how I can wade through all those lists to figure out what the Master List should be. :rolleyes:

And, I got the dreaded '404' error for the first three . . . :rolleyes:

How many caches should our "Must Do San Diego" list have. Shouldn't it be a shorter list a visitor could possibly tackle while they are here? confused.gif

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1909397

The links are wacko when I quote, the above link should take you to the original post.

These lists are a good start.

PassingWind

faint.gif I have a 24 K dialup connection . . . I don't know how I can wade through all those lists to figure out what the Master List should be. :rolleyes:

And, I got the dreaded '404' error for the first three . . . :rolleyes:

How many caches should our "Must Do San Diego" list have. Shouldn't it be a shorter list a visitor could possibly tackle while they are here? confused.gif

The Master List should include all of our favorites in descending order of count. Visitors (or anyone) can scale down the list by location, terrain, cache type, etc.

Edit: By the way, thanks for doing it! You may want to put them into Excel. That way it would be easier to update and sort! Also some of those lists aren't favorites so you can save yourself some work! :o

Edited by TrailGators

Okay . . . I just opened every cache in everybody's list and over the past three hours or so faint.gif -- it takes forever for pages to load at 24K -- I came up with this Compilation List of 167 caches.

They are all mixed up and I have no idea how many were recommended by one, two, three, or four cachers. Some were on more than one list, others were on only one person's list.

If you want a cache added, or if you want a description added, let me know. Likewise, if I have put one on the list by mistake, email me and I'll delete it.

Okay . . . I just opened every cache in everybody's list and over the past three hours or so faint.gif -- it takes forever for pages to load at 24K -- I came up with this Compilation List of 167 caches.

They are all mixed up and I have no idea how many were recommended by one, two, three, or four cachers. Some were on more than one list, others were on only one person's list.

If you want a cache added, or if you want a description added, let me know. Likewise, if I have put one on the list by mistake, email me and I'll delete it.

Didn't we want something more like this?:

The Forbidden Forest - 6

Fear Factor: Up the Rat Hole - 5

Local Treasure - 5

Snakes and Ladders - 5

Zis Is KAOS, Ve Don't Bush-vaak Here! - 5

CHUD - 4

Mad Eye Moody - 4

The Mountain Of Moonlit Rocks - 4

Triwizard Tournament - The Goblet of Fire - 4

Back in December twelve of us had created Favorites lists and I think QDMan took all our lists and came up with our mutually agreed on Favorite cache list!

The Forbidden Forest - 6

Local Treasure - 5

Snakes and Ladders - 5

CHUD - 4

Mad Eye Moody - 4

Back in December twelve of us had created Favorites lists and I think QDMan took all our lists and came up with our mutually agreed on Favorite cache list!

You can get the same effect with Miragee's bookmark list - just stick the "ranking" in front of the cachename, like:

001. The Forbidden Forest (6)

002. Fear Factor: Up the Rat Hole (6)

etc.

Of course, it would be high maintenance if the rankings were to change frequently but maybe it's a good start. Certainly a great effort on Miragee's part to at least have something to start with! Thanks, Miragee!!

The Forbidden Forest - 6

Local Treasure - 5

Snakes and Ladders - 5

CHUD - 4

Mad Eye Moody - 4

Sure . . . but I don't have a spreadsheet program on this computer and if math is involved, I'm hopeless . . . :rolleyes::unsure:

Someone else will have to take it from here . . .

I actually think there should be several favorite, compilation lists. Like the "Trolley Cache" list for visitors, the great Puzzles visitors can figure out before they get here, the nice hikes, the desert peaks, the 4WD-only access caches, the SCC Caches, etc.

The Forbidden Forest - 6

Local Treasure - 5

Snakes and Ladders - 5

CHUD - 4

Mad Eye Moody - 4

You can get the same effect with Miragee's bookmark list - just stick the "ranking" in front of the cachename, like:

etc.

Of course, it would be high maintenance if the rankings were to change frequently but maybe it's a good start. Certainly a great effort on Miragee's part to at least have something to start with! Thanks, Miragee!!

Yes thanks Miragee! :rolleyes:

TFTC, I like your naming idea but wouldn't we have to look them up again to get a tally for each cache to do that? Maybe we could download all of the favorites lists into GSAK. But will GSAK give you the option to keep duplicates? I'd love to see the highest rated caches that I haven't done yet! :unsure:

Edited by TrailGators

The Forbidden Forest - 6

Local Treasure - 5

Snakes and Ladders - 5

CHUD - 4

Mad Eye Moody - 4

etc.

Yes thanks Miragee! :rolleyes:

TFTC, I like your naming idea but wouldn't we have to look them up again to get a tally for each cache to do that? Maybe we could download all of the favorites lists into GSAK. But will GSAK give you the option to keep duplicates? I'd love to see the highest rated caches that I haven't done yet! :unsure:

Well, I wonder if there's any way for me to create a bookmark list from Miragee's? What I would do (if I had 3 hours to spare), is:

* click on each cache in the bookmark list

* see how many bookmark lists there are for the cache (clicking the "more..." link)

* click the back arrow to get back to the bookmark list

* edit the bookmark and put a number in front of the cache name, like 100 - # of bookmarks (hopefully none have 100+ bookmarks). Forbidden Forest has 13 now, for example, so I'd name it's bookmark "87. The Forbidden Forest (13)". Fear Factor has 8, so I'd name it "92. Fear Factor: Up the Rat Hole (8)".

Then when the bookmark list is complete, it'll be sorted by the most bookmarks. It would require a bit of maintenance if you notice the number of bookmarks have changed for a cache, or if you want to add new caches, but otherwise, it might do the trick nicely without too much effort after all the work Miragee has already done.

Good idea!

OK here goes in order (if it's not here it was dropped for not having at least 3 votes):

92 Black Beard's Grotto

94 Chud

95 3 Sister Photo Cache

95 Black Mountain Lookout

96 "Old Glory"

96 As The Crow Flies: The Big Kahuna

96 Don't Fear the Reaper

97 "Pseudo"

97 "On top of the World Ma"

97 A Sure Fire Source of Frustration

97 BEYOND THE BRIDGE

97 BINGO

97 Bionicle: Makuta

97 Bobi's Bewilderment

97 Coastal Hike

97 Ding dong, the witch is dead!

That is it through the first 50 (Up to E)!

Edited by TrailGators

does anyone have a list of Offroad 4x4 cahces in San Diego County? I got a Jeep and lifted and modified it so I wouldn't have to hike. So I'm looking for caches that are 4x4 friendly

There are a bunch in the Anza Borego...but don't go now...you will die!

does anyone have a list of Offroad 4x4 cahces in San Diego County? I got a Jeep and lifted and modified it so I wouldn't have to hike. So I'm looking for caches that are 4x4 friendly

There are a bunch in the Anza Borego...but don't go now...you will die!

I know it. I was supposed to go on a night run tonight in Devils Canyon, but with temps in the 90s at 8 pm, it got cancelled. I just want to get a good list together for when it cools down. for no I'll stick to the coastal caches

This is the combined Favorites lists of everyone in the area that has made a list!

Enjoy! :laughing:

The Forbidden Forest = 12

Triwizard Tournament - The Goblet of Fire = 9

Black Beard's Grotto = 8

Fear Factor: Up the Rat Hole = 8

Zis Is KAOS, Ve Don't Bush-vaak Here! = 8

Greta Garbo's Phone = 7

Local Treasure = 7

Mad Eye Moody = 7

Pants on Fire = 7

TT's MTRP Nuisance Cache #3: Partnership = 7

Chud = 6

Hi Point Lookout Tower = 6

High Fruit, Better Than Ever! = 6

Indiana Jones: The Lost Relic of Rapa Nui = 6

League of Extraordinary Geocachers = 6

Snakes and Ladders = 6

3 Sister Photo Cache = 5

Black Mountain Looko = 5

Indiana Ed's Subterranean Cache = 5

Lawson 4 = 5

The Mountain Of Moonlit Rocks = 5

The Postcard Cache = 5

The Proctor Valley Monster Project = 5

"Old Glory" = 4

As The Crow Flies: T = 4

Don't Fear the Reape = 4

Gyrus = 4

Monopolizing Your Time = 4

Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache No. 12 = 4

Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache No. 7 = 4

Secret Passage to Hogsmeade = 4

"Pseudo" = 3

"On top of the World = 3

A Sure Fire Source o = 3

BEYOND THE BRIDGE = 3

BINGO = 3

Bionicle: Makuta = 3

Bobi's Bewilderment = 3

Coastal Hike = 3

Ding dong, the witch = 3

Frog Shrine = 3

Hidden History in Bridlewood = 3

Indiana Jones: The Lost City of Atlantis = 3

It's the Season for Snakes = 3

Jet Engine = 3

Kitchen Creek: Monteverde 2 = 3

Lassie, get help! = 3

Paul and Randy's Excellent Adventure = 3

Pay Homage to the Master = 3

Pine Nut = 3

Power House Park - Hobbit Holes = 3

Rock House Cache = 3

San Diego Ocean View (Double Peak Summit) = 3

Sea Monkey Central = 3

Sticks and Stones = 3

Tuna View Moonscape (Kumeyaay Moonscape) = 3

* Note that it took at least 3 votes to get on this list.

** I have the whole thing in Excel so we can easily update it!

Edited by TrailGators

This is the combined Favorites lists of everyone in the area that has made a list!

Enjoy! :laughing:

Black Beard's Grotto = 8

Greta Garbo's Phone = 7

Local Treasure = 7

Mad Eye Moody = 7

Pants on Fire = 7

Chud = 6

Snakes and Ladders = 6

3 Sister Photo Cache = 5

Black Mountain Looko = 5

Lawson 4 = 5

The Postcard Cache = 5

"Old Glory" = 4

Don't Fear the Reape = 4

Gyrus = 4

"Pseudo" = 3

"On top of the World = 3

A Sure Fire Source o = 3

BEYOND THE BRIDGE = 3

BINGO = 3

Bobi's Bewilderment = 3

Coastal Hike = 3

Ding dong, the witch = 3

Frog Shrine = 3

Jet Engine = 3

Lassie, get help! = 3

Pine Nut = 3

Rock House Cache = 3

Sea Monkey Central = 3

Sticks and Stones = 3

T-Gators, can you create a public bookmark list of those caches?

Thanks,

Kevin

Enjoy! :lol:

Black Beard's Grotto = 8

Greta Garbo's Phone = 7

Local Treasure = 7

Mad Eye Moody = 7

Pants on Fire = 7

Chud = 6

Snakes and Ladders = 6

3 Sister Photo Cache = 5

Black Mountain Looko = 5

Lawson 4 = 5

The Postcard Cache = 5

"Old Glory" = 4

Don't Fear the Reape = 4

Gyrus = 4

"Pseudo" = 3

"On top of the World = 3

A Sure Fire Source o = 3

BEYOND THE BRIDGE = 3

BINGO = 3

Bobi's Bewilderment = 3

Coastal Hike = 3

Ding dong, the witch = 3

Frog Shrine = 3

Jet Engine = 3

Lassie, get help! = 3

Pine Nut = 3

Rock House Cache = 3

Sea Monkey Central = 3

Sticks and Stones = 3

Thanks,

Kevin

OK here it is! :P

Note that it is a work in progress! :laughing: If anyone sees a number change (100 - # of votes) for any cache post it here. I can update the list every so often!

Edited by TrailGators

Enjoy! B)

Thanks,

Kevin

OK here it is! :D

Note that it is a work in progress! :) If anyone sees a number change (100 - # of votes) for any cache post it here. I can update the list every so often!

You're awesome! Thanks T-gators. Maybe we'll bump into you while we are caching in SD area early next month!

-Kevin

bump
I added a link to the list on my forum signature! So anytime you want to find it just find me! :blink:

Feel free to let me know if any of the cache favorite counts are off and I will update them. Remember to subtract the consensus list and non-favorite lists from the total. I just added Tomb Raider to the list the other day. It shot up out of nowhere. It is an awesome cache! :blink:

Edited by TrailGators