Advice On Garmin Legend C

Maxine&Me

Well my trusty ol Vista was a victim of a car break in. If you see one offered for cheap it is probably mine. B) However it does give me an opportunity to get a new color unit. What is the general consensus on the new Legend C. What does the Vista C get you that the Legend doesn't they look pretty much the same to me, except for compass and barometric pressure.

Any advice appreciated.

The Legend C is a great unit. The only drawback I'm aware of is that the memory for user maps is a bit limited (24MB)--though 3 times as much as your old Vista, and it doesn't have a serial connection. If you are hooking the unit up to a computer to talk to 3rd party (non-garmin) software, it may look for your GPS on a serial port, which may require some finagling.

Small size, great color screen, and familiar button layout should make this a good choice for you.

If you can't live without a magnetic compass and altimeter, go with the Vista C. Otherwise, I think you'll like the Legend C.

We use a Legend C and it's great. Compared to the Legend/Vista ( I had a Legend prior) I find the reception to be far superior under tree cover and in the car. Autorouting as great (for occasional use - certianly no replacement for dedicated in car navigation)

Battery life is also much better. Screen redrawing is faster.

I picked up a suction-cup mount for the car, a 12V to USB adapter so I can run the backlight while in the car at night without draining the battery, a handlebar mount, and a Garmin case (which I'd point out is a better fit for the older etrex not the new Vista C and Legend C - but I got it for free and if fits well enough, just not perfectly)

Overall - very satisfied

i have had the legend C for a couple of months, and i like it allot. i will say that now that the price is $209 at tigergps, i paid $250 when i got mine and yet i don't feel ripped off at all. i just know the people who get it for so cheap are lucky!

i cant beleive how good this thing is for reception. i would recommend to anyone.

The legend C is a great piece of kit.

The rubber does stretch around the edge a bit. Thats cheap to replace and you would have had the same problem on the old one.

Contrary to how it looks, any accessories you had for the old legend will fit. Even the replaceable back will fit, even though they do provide you with a little to jigger to fit to all the contraptions you can get.

Catchya

I have been looking at the Legend C and the Vista C recently and the only advantages of the Vista are the Compass and barometer other than that the Legend is a far better unit for the price. I have looked at about fifteen different places to purchase it and the price has been from $205 to $235. I am going to go with the Legend C in the near future so the better half can use my GPS V while I am on the road.

The only drawback I'm aware of is that the memory for user maps is a bit limited (24MB)--though 3 times as much as your old Vista, and it doesn't have a serial connection

Actually the Vista, Vista C and Legend C all have 24 megs of memory.

The Legend C is a very good unit. Its on my wish list.

I've had my Legend C for over a year, and I can't say enough good things about it. I love it. I have abused the heck out of it and it still works great (except that the rubber ring is beginning to loosen).

24mb cuts it kind of close for autorouting long trips, but locally it's fine. If it hasn't been mentioned already, you will need to purchase CitySelect software in order to make this function useful.

An electronic compass (Vista C) would come in handy when geocaching under a thick wooded canopy since it will hold your bearing if you lose your satellite lock.

Also, I like the compact size.

The Legend C is a great unit. The only drawback I'm aware of is that the memory for user maps is a bit limited (24MB)--though 3 times as much as your old Vista, and it doesn't have a serial connection. If you are hooking the unit up to a computer to talk to 3rd party (non-garmin) software, it may look for your GPS on a serial port, which may require some finagling.

Small size, great color screen, and familiar button layout should make this a good choice for you.

If you can't live without a magnetic compass and altimeter, go with the Vista C. Otherwise, I think you'll like the Legend C.

Has anyone found a way to download waypoints to the Legend C using the usb ?

GSAK works fine to do this. EasyGPS also works, but it doesn't know that there is such a thing as a Legend C. You have to lie to it and tell it that you have a 60C. Then you can click the (otherwise greyed-out) USB box and load away.

This is just the thing I was looking for!

A few months ago, my click stick died on my E-trex Vista.

I am very glad I had the extended warranty from Best Buy.

The unit was two years old, at least. They started out trying to

replace it with a Legend, but I insisted that the Legend was not a comperable \

product to my Vista. They then offered a Legend C, but wanted and additonal $50.

I decided to go ahead with this, but their computer system traded even.

A free upgrade from an old Vista, to a New Legend C.

I was very happy until I tried to use easy GPS to move waypoints around.

and found that it did not like my Legend C/ USB.

I will have to try this.