The Thread Called Lingo

WeightMan

The thread named Lingo showed up yesterday asking a question and was closed when I first saw it. The OP is shown as having one post so this was the first by this cacher. Obviously the thread was not intended to be locked as the OP was asking a question even though that answer is in the FAQ. I notice that there is no close thread option on the posting page. It only appears on the reply page. I have to assume there was some confusion on the part of the OP. My question is how can anyone other than a mod respond to the question without starting a new thread and also how does this happen. If this were the only time, I probably wouldn't worry about it, but it seems that some new posters get confused and there should be something that can be done.

The only reason I posted this was I noticed the same thing last week in a thread started on Oct. 11. I suppose it would be common courtesy to post a reply when closing a thread and I know that common courtesy is not as common as it used to be, but it does appear that these two were closed in error.

Just a poor soul trying to help the tadpoles.

The only reason I posted this was I noticed the same thing last week in a thread started on Oct. 11.  I suppose it would be common courtesy to post a reply when closing a thread and I know that common courtesy is not as common as it used to be, but it does appear that these two were closed in error.

Just a poor soul trying to help the tadpoles.

In a case like that, when there were no other messages posted, posting a note explaining why you're locking it just pops the thread back to the top of the list. Since the OP just wants the thread to go away, it's better to just lock it and be done with it.

If you're curious why it was locked, send them a PM.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Unless a flame war has errupted, or the thread is hopelessly off topic, most people just let the thread drift off the page. I've seen several threads in getting started where a noob asks a question, a semi-nube give a lame half answer or a bum steer, and the OP says "thanks" and locks the thread. That seems silly to me.

I recommend not locking a thread without a good reason. You never know when someone will add something useful. But then, the Lingo thread question gets asked almost every day, so no great loss this time.