New Np Policy?

My mother-in-law in San Jose said she read an article about geocaching in the national parks (Yellowstone or Yosemite, she wasn't sure). She also could not find the article or remember the paper......I said it was sketchy B)

Anyway a brochure for the lodge had a "geocaching package" which included a room and a compilmentary GPS for the duration of your trip.

Since the NP's don't allow caches, what are you seeking? Privately listed caches?

I thought this was quite interesting and a tad hypocritical at best. B)

I know the info is sketchy, but has anybody else heard of this or have more info?

My mother-in-law in San Jose said she read an article about geocaching in the national parks (Yellowstone or Yosemite, she wasn't sure). She also could not find the article or remember the paper......I said it was sketchy B)

Anyway a brochure for the lodge had a "geocaching package" which included a room and a compilmentary GPS for the duration of your trip.

Since the NP's don't allow caches, what are you seeking? Privately listed caches?

I thought this was quite interesting and a tad hypocritical at best. B)

I know the info is sketchy, but has anybody else heard of this or have more info?

I read this article somewhere as well, and for the life of me cannot remember where.

They have hikes in the National Parks waypointed. There is also a cache or two hidden OUTSIDE of the National Parks. That much I do remember. Nothing physical is hidden in the National Parks.

-dave

Geocaching Hiking Package

Geocaching, Sierra Style

Tenaya Lodge is joining the geocaching craze by setting up a "treasure hunt" in the national forest and on its own 35 acre reserve.  The Geocaching Hiking Package begins with locating areas with a GPS unit and discovering caches along trails that wind through towering trees, whispering creeks and mountain meadows.

We call it "Geocaching Sierra Style."  And the best part is you don't need to bring a thing to play.  Available from August 28 through November 22, the hiking package includes use of a GPS, backpacks, pack lunch for two and bottled waters.  Package cost starts at only $202 per night

This is from the lodge website.

It sounds like they are not associated with the NP and the caches are on their land so they probably are not listed at GC.com.........

NO SMILIES!!!!!!!!! B)

It sounds like they are not associated with the NP and the caches are on their land so they probably are not listed at GC.com.........

NO SMILIES!!!!!!!!! B)

Yea, or they're just giving you info for hunting others caches around (outside) Yosemite.

There was another thread about this same articale last week.

There are quite a few caches in Yelllowstone. They are all virtuals. I did a number of them when I was there last month. By doing the caches I saw some things and places in the park that I would otherwise have missed. Virtuals are fine there - just no physical caches.