Hint Decoder For Palm/handspring Missing

Lou&aDog

I noticed this a couple of weeks ago, too. I wrote to the author of the Hint Decoder program and got a response from his widow B) Apparently the author died unexpectedly and his widow pulled all his software off the net. It seems to me it would be better to honor his work by keeping it available, since it is so useful, so I wrote back to her and implored her to reconsider. At this point I have not received a response, so the link above doesn't officially exist B)

Of course I use GPX Spinner, which also automatically decodes the hints. But I also run across a good number of caches that have the encoded hints directly in the cache description, where they are not automatically decoded. Some people like to do this to thwart those who *always* click the "decode" button before printing a page.

With the Hint Decoder program, a simple copy/paste is all it takes to decode those misplaced hints B)

The Hint Decoder Software for Palm/Handspring no longer exists at the site that GC.com points to at the Resources Page.  I don't know if there is an alternative available, but a missing page loads when you click on the link.

I've put a copy of it on my website for download, if you want it. Get it here.

And before anyone mentions piracy, this is freeware, which includes the following from the author:

HintDecoder is distributed as freeware. Feel free to pass it along to your friends and family.