Geocoin Thoughts

Jan and the Percey Boys

I am a relative newbie to this obsession of geocoin collecting, although I have collected other coins and tokens previously – everything from LA Olympic Bus tokens to foreign coins (spares by the hundred)

I started buying when I saw the Maryland Coin and have bought most of the GC trackables since (with the exception of NY which seemed to go SO quickly! The problem I face is how to get the coins I’ve previously missed – Tennessee, Ohio, New York etc as well as some personal coins without any geocoins to swap!

It seemed to me that there were a few options

a) Buy on E Bay – at inflated prices and no guarantee of authenticity

:lol: Ask really nicely on the forum and see if anyone was feeling generous and would donate or sell me some coins

c) Give up and say – hey ho that’s life!

Then (after a conversation with a bay area cacher) I came across the following idea

Why not offer to swap a TB for a coin. (you send me the coin I send you the tracking number and activation code of your bug) I will buy the TBs, attach them to either an appropriate object or a local souvenir (Either from Chester or England) and give them a goal of reaching you (via as many countries as you specify). If you want to provide the attachment that is possible too.

So for instance I could send a Scottish model to the Kilted Cacher, a cathedral souvenir for Cornerstone etc.

This could of course get competitive and would obviously be a great opportunity t o teach your kids some geography.

If you think this a good idea and you want to go for it e mail me :ph34r:

If you think it is naff (Bad) just go to the next post! :ph34r:

Bob

:lol:

That's neat! We are in the UK and offers from anyone who's interested in doing a similar deal concerning New York, New Jersey, Tennessee, Ohio "Caught Red Handed" coins (and any others state or organisation coins I might have missed) for Interesting TBs would be gratefully received.

However, I suspect that there will be very few if any :ph34r: so we are just waiting until next year when we guess many 2006 editions will be released, so that we can flood UK caches with them :ph34r:

Bambi.

I on the other hand have the opposite problem. My coin buying got alittle out of control, trying to buy 1 or 2 or 3 :P of every coin that came out. So I have had to stop. I won't be buying any of the new coins that come out, even though I still collect coins, and still want them, but I will have a decent collection of trades .

So my advice is, buy an extra one of the new coins that come out and post what you have to trade (even if you think no one will want it because everyone has it). I know once the new ones come out that I'm going to miss out on (just in the last couple of days -- Georgia and San Francisco (boy does that hurt :blink: ) I'm going to post for trades with the ones I have (AL, PA, OH, MD, NJ, etc, etc).

I am however going to break my vow of no more coins and try to get one or two of the Georgia Peach coins :huh::D:blink: (I know I have a problem and need to find a support group :ph34r::D ).

Windrose

Be careful. This whole geocoin making and collecting bubble is going to burst. People are already getting fed up with prices and who makes them and even how people share and swap them. I suggest you enjoy the game, buy one here and there that you might like. Never ever pay for an inflated ebay bid item! They will not be worth anything in 10 years. If you think they will, look at Beanie Babies. Worth nothing. Trading can be fun, but there will always be someone who will be a real a** about it and ruin the experience for you. Do what you want for fun.

-Ronney

Do not dispair! There are many coins out there and as more get made, the number in caches may even increase. The only thing that becomes tough is to try and collect them ALL. There are far too many out there now.

My suggestion is to buy a few of any that are for sale and then hold them as traders 3-6 months from now -- or place them in caches.

You may not end up with every coin, but every coin will have meaning for you.

I too have been busy picking up coins when I can and try to get an extra when I can. It makes it hard to tie up the extra money, but I am thinking I can do some trades with someone that does not have what I do.

I still feel it's for fun, not profit, and even the trading is fun. It's just when I see some collections of 100 or more, sigh.

heh, I learned a long time ago not to covet another person's collection (actually that goes for anything). Rather I focus on my own, does what I have in mine hold any meaning to me? If I were to see a person with a complete set of geocoins, my first reaction would be "Hey, there's someone who has a lot of money and free time on their hands"