Quick Poll/survey...

ScottFla

There are a couple of threads about survival knowledge and caching. There aren't any caches within 100 miles from me that get you more than a mlie away from heavy civilization so I got to wondering what type of cches do you do on average?

So, what distance are most of your caches?

1. Park and grab - 100 yards or less.

2. Nice walk - less than a half mile round trip.

3. Decent hike - less than mile round trip.

4. Big hike - less than three miles round trip.

5. Day Hike - less than eight miles round trip.

6. I envy and detest you all at once :D - more than eight miles round trip.

Maybe list what you average and your biggest cache.

On the average, I think I'm at level three but Saturday I hit three caches for a total of over sixmiles, so my highest is 5.

The ones I own are all 3s except for one 4.

The caches within my caching area range from your category 1 - 4, with maybe a couple 5s.

I have spent 6 hours hiking after one cache, through mountainous terrain. You gotta come up here visiting, and get outta that flat land! :ph34r:

It really varies - there is a little bit of everything in our area. So we do them all.

I don't mind walking if the cache at the end is cool. Just don't want to do 8 miles for a sucrets tin and a tiny piece of wet paper.

Since we ride our motorcycles to geocache - we try not to get too far from the bikes.

We are getting ready to do some that require having our dirt bikes to do this weekend. That is going to be awesome!!!!

I would say we are the #3 crowd. We will walk a mile or so to a cache.

Lately we have not judged them so much by the walk as we have what we will see on the way and when we get there.

I generally prefer the nice walks but also do almost anything. Just recently for my #100 did our local 5/5 which was an 8.5 mile kayak trip, scaling a 20 foot cliff, and then climbing up the inside of a 30 foot tower that goes up 30 feet and DOWN 30 feet into the cliff and water below.

I'd have to say I fall, on average, in the 3 category, but just got back from the great state of Arkansas and found a place called Burns Park. None of the caches themselves required too large of a hike, but I decided to park the car at the first parking lot and explore the 1600+ square acre park on foot. By the end of the day, the old GPSr advised I had hit the 6 category. Didn't even realize it until I checked the GPSr and then woke up the next day and almost fell down when trying to get out of the bed due to my then useless legs. As for the previous poster mentioning getting out of the flatlands of FL, you hit the nail on the head with that one! Being from FL, those Arkansas hills liked to have killed me!!! :ph34r:

i would have to say in my area 90% of our caches are park and grab...there was one cacher who hid 35 film containers and challenged everyone to see who can find them all the fastest..well its been about 5 months and me and my cachepartner still haven't got them all...but thats a time constraint on our part. other we have done are less than a mile. and a few trail caches that we have done were about 5 miles but due to a river that wasn't there prior to the rains it turned into an 10 mile hike over river rock which wasn't to fun...right after we were rescued and taken back to our car cuz we weren't walkin 5 miles back we called our salon and got a pedicure :ph34r: the other most memorable trail cache was about 3 miles and it started raining...now mind you im caching in my UGGS and let me tell you the back side of the trail got really muddy and we were a mile from our car...we ran and hid under a bridge, and we realized that the rain wasn't gonna let up so we ran the .6 miles to our car to come across the biggest mud puddle ive ever seen...my UGGS are ruin but thats my fault...now i have UGGS to cache in...lol...

thoes are my most done caches!

I generally own rural caches because that is the kind I prefer to do. In Nebraska it is hard to create a walk over a half mile because of how things are in sections. I managed to get one .7 from parking and another one mile. Both are at little known rural lake areas. I have several short walk rural caches as well, plus a few puzzle caches that are a short walk.

My wife and I are always caching in new areas of the country and Canada. We go caching to explore an area. We have found that many times caches will take us to interesting places. I'd say that our caches fall in the #1 to #4 range. We try for #2s and #3s, but are not opposed to the quick cache and dash. Lately with our trip to Alaska we did a bunch of #4s.

That is unless you count our going to Prudhoe Bay and doing 2 caches from Fairbanks, 800 miles round trip. Drive and fly.

RV'er