What Was In Your Mailbox Today!

Cornerstone4

sometimes i bid on things on ebay - maybe to replace some of my favorite coins that i gave away, like this greenman - but when i bid i figure i'll never get it, surely someone will outbid me.

well, the last three coins i bid on, i have won the auction. surprise!

today the wonderful greenman arrived. looks and smells like the original plastic baggie and the coin is in a hard plastic protective cover as opposed to a flip. you know the one, you couldn't get it open with a crow bar, which is ok, because i don't want to open it anyway. i would love to know when these were minted.

8369076828_ce822eecbb_z.jpg

From the accompanying "Certificate of Authenticity":

Front:"The “Green Man” image, also commonly known as the leafy man, “Le Feuillou”, in French, and in German, “Blattqesicht”, is a primitive image. He is the “Green Man”, “Jack in the Green”, the “Old Man of the Woods”, “Green George” and many other things to many other men. Carved in stone or wood, rendered in stained glass, his face stares at us from the roof, windows, pillars, choir stalls, bench ends, fonts, screens, etc. of our great cathedrals and churches. The “leaf-faced” may also be found hidden away in corners of the church where he may be unnoticed by the general congregation. He can be recognized as a face, often grotesque, with foliage sprouting from his mouth, nose, eyes or ears. Alternatively, his face may be entirely composed of leaves. Similar images, blending a semi-human face with plant and foliage forms, occur in many cultures. One very stylish image of the Green Man comes to us through the Arthurian legend of Sir Gawain, also called the “Green Knight”.

Some believe those favored by the Green Man receive the gift of insight. The next time you are searching for a cache, imagine him looking at you from among the trees."

Back:"The compass rose has appeared on charts and maps since the 1300's. The term "rose" comes from the figure's compass points resembling the petals of the well-known flower. Originally, the device was used to indicate the directions of the winds. On a rolling ship at night by the light of a flickering lamp, the figures of the compass rose had to be clearly visible, so colors on the figures resulted. For western apprentice seamen, one of the first things they had to know were the names of the points on the compass rose. Naming them all off perfectly was known as "boxing the compass"."

Designed and sold by www.geocachetreasure.com ( defunct )

Mint: probably Northwest Territorial Mint

Style: Medallion

Assay: Merlin Gold® Alloy

Size: 39mm

Thickness: 2.9mm

Finish: Proof-Like

Edition Numbering: Yes To preserve the aesthetic appeal of the artwork on the "Green Man" Geocoin, we have provided edition numbering on the rim of the Geocoin. The number may also be found on the "Certificate of Authenticity"

i would love to know when these were minted.

RedShoesGirl,

These Greenman geocoins were minted in 2002(Inaugural mint) and then again in 2006. Most of the Greenmans I've seen go up for sale are the 2006 coins. I actually purchased one back in 2002 and have one of the Inaugural versions and I recently purchased a 2006 version which looks identical but has a much higher coin number. I'm not sure if one is coveted more than the other, but I rarely see a 2002 go up for sale.

RedShoesGirl,

These Greenman geocoins were minted in 2002(Inaugural mint) and then again in 2006. Most of the Greenmans I've seen go up for sale are the 2006 coins. I actually purchased one back in 2002 and have one of the Inaugural versions and I recently purchased a 2006 version which looks identical but has a much higher coin number. I'm not sure if one is coveted more than the other, but I rarely see a 2002 go up for sale.

What number range is on the 2002 version please? I have one but I'm unsure what minting it is.

CF30

RedShoesGirl,

What number range is on the 2002 version please? I have one but I'm unsure what minting it is.

CF30

my number is 1577 so i am assuming it is from the 2006 minting. i didn't realize there were two mintings. doesn't matter to me. i just love the coin.

edit to add, in the ebay add it says mint 2006.

Edited by RedShoesGirl

RedShoesGirl,

CF30

my number is 1577 so i am assuming it is from the 2006 minting. i didn't realize there were two mintings. doesn't matter to me. i just love the coin.

Then mine is definitely 2006. The number on mine is 10652 (or something like that). Yours could very well be 2002 that low.

CF30

RedShoesGirl,

CF30

Then mine is definitely 2006. The number on mine is 10652 (or something like that). Yours could very well be 2002 that low.

CF30

the ebay ad said 2006, but maybe they weren't sure. it would be really interesting to know what the original mint numbers were.

I don't know the exact numbering between them, but the easiest way to tell is if you have the Certificate that came with it. The 2002 will say Inaugural 2002 on the Certificate. My 2002 is #252 and my 2006 is #1313. I belive only 500 were minted in 2002, but I am not 100% sure of that.

Here is a picture of my 2002 (left - with certificate) next to my 2006(right).

770c4e4c-50d9-451f-b1e4-0906789bacd7.jpg

Edited by darniforgot

I don't know the exact numbering between them, but the easiest way to tell is if you have the Certificate that came with it. The 2002 will say Inaugural 2002 on the Certificate. My 2002 is #252 and my 2006 is #1313. I belive only 500 were minted in 2002, but I am not 100% sure of that.

Whoo! Then they obviously made a LOT in the 2006 minting!

CF30

Whoo! Then they obviously made a LOT in the 2006 minting!

CF30

oh duh me. on the inside of the certificate it says 2006. if you have a really high number it does make you wonder - where are all these coins?!

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Well after have been nomads/gypsies for the past month we have a temporary permanent (oxymoron I know :P ) address in Texas. It has been a bleak dark time, no coin envelopes, it got that I was having withdrawal symptoms. The hugging of mailboxes, the longing of the smell of a fresh stamped mailer, you know.

But then my friends came through and quenched my addiction with trades of coins, oh and 1 bought one :D Thanks to those who have helped me throught those dark days B) there is a light at the end of the mailbox :lol: Oh Happy Days...

10a82c9a-de9b-444e-9a05-5bd3a0de6e26.jpg

Today a big envellope in my mailbox with a nice haul;

FiveWizards1b_zps4d7e926f.jpg

FiveWizards3_zpsbc4ed737.jpg

Am I not a lucky man..... :DB)

Jackhoe, these are pretty nice. I also got the Robin Hood in Sherwood Forest coin. I am glad as me mum was from Nottingham England. She was a war bride from WWII. Both of my parents are gone now but I have been over there a few times and visited the Major Oak at Sherwood Forest. Glad I have this nice coin which means something to me. I spent 3 months over there as a kid in 1958. and then returned 2 others times as an adult.

thanks for sharing,

MO Pirate