What Was In Your Mailbox Today!

Cornerstone4

i couldn't help myself .... so much for going on the wagon for geocoin collecting. used to have this one and wanted to have it back, SO ...

an ebay purchase, one of two this past week. hello, my name is lara and ...

5331982768_280eb16e1f_o.jpg

Hi Lara, my name is Jim and...

1611a.png

:rolleyes::rolleyes::D (love your coin, BTW) :)

Edited by EyeD10T

i couldn't help myself .... so much for going on the wagon for geocoin collecting. used to have this one and wanted to have it back, SO ...

1611a.png

Hi Lara and Jim, my name is neal and...

SANY0213-1.jpg

SANY0214-1.jpg

SANY0212-1.jpg

ILYK

1611a.png

Does anyone know who I could contact about the angel geocoin? Any info would be great. I know my wife Val would love to be able to give this angel to her mom. Her mom is battling cancer. Her mom could use a angel to help her thru the tough times and help be be a strong fighter. Thanks!

Does anyone know who I could contact about the angel geocoin? Any info would be great. I know my wife Val would love to be able to give this angel to her mom. Her mom is battling cancer. Her mom could use a angel to help her thru the tough times and help be be a strong fighter. Thanks!

I sent you an email ;)

img9025.jpg

It's not usually my practice to buy a set, but these were so nice looking.

Ooh! Awesome! I can't wait to see the ones I ordered. I will be keeping the two you have on the bottom for sure. The other three will be potential trade or sale items. :ph34r:

CF30

The better half ordered me a set for christmas, these look amazing! Impatiently waiting, lol

img9025.jpg

Ooh! Awesome! I can't wait to see the ones I ordered. I will be keeping the two you have on the bottom for sure. The other three will be potential trade or sale items. :ph34r:

CF30

The better half ordered me a set for christmas, these look amazing! Impatiently waiting, lol

Got mine today, too!!! :D Not a single dissapointment in the bunch.

img9025.jpg

CF30

Ours showed up today, set of 5. They are amazing!

img9025.jpg

CF30

Ours showed up today, set of 5. They are amazing!

Ditto!

gregson, would you PLEASE make the file sizes smaller on the photos you upload? maybe make them somewhat smaller and save them at lower jpegs or something, but this page is totally stalling on your pics. and then when replies are posted and the pictures are repeated it just compounds the problem.

just one of your pics is 1.37 megs pixel size!

lara

Edited by RedShoesGirl

gregson, would you PLEASE make the file sizes smaller on the photos you upload? maybe make them somewhat smaller and save them at lower jpegs or something, but this page is totally stalling on your pics. and then when replies are posted and the pictures are repeated it just compounds the problem.

lara

Hi Lara,

I do reduce the pictures in size. If you place your cursor over a picture and right click, it will tell you how large the picture is. The pictures I posted are 170K and 180k. I noticed that in post #18783 you posted a picture that is 184K. Since your picture is larger, I don't know what to say.

My understanding is that 180k is not a very large picture by web standards.

lara

Hi Lara,

I do reduce the pictures in size. If you place your cursor over a picture and right click, it will tell you how large the picture is. The pictures I posted are 170K and 180k. I noticed that in post #18783 you posted a picture that is 184K. Since your picture is larger, I don't know what to say.

oh, never mind ...

Edited by RedShoesGirl

lara

Hi Lara,

Hi GregsonVaux (and others who post large images),

There is no reason to post images at 800x600 pixels when all they have in them is one or two coins. You could make them only a little smaller (600x450) and in doing so make the file size much smaller without loosing much in size and quality. GregsonVaux - if I take the last image you posted img9038e.jpg and drop it to 600x450 pixels and scale the quality to 80% (from the 85% on the original) then the size of the file halves from 140Kb to only 70Kb, and if I drop it to 50% quality, the file size drops to only 50Kb with no noticeable difference at that size. It needs to be remembered that: a. there is no real point in posting such large, high quality images (all it does it chew up everyones bandwidth), and (more importantly) b. some unfortunate people are still on dial up (ouch!!).

lara

Hi Lara,

Hi GregsonVaux (and others who post large images),

There is no reason to post images at 800x600 pixels when all they have in them is one or two coins. You could make them only a little smaller (600x450) and in doing so make the file size much smaller without loosing much in size and quality. GregsonVaux - if I take the last image you posted img9038e.jpg and drop it to 600x450 pixels and scale the quality to 80% (from the 85% on the original) then the size of the file halves from 140Kb to only 70Kb, and if I drop it to 50% quality, the file size drops to only 50Kb with no noticeable difference at that size. It needs to be remembered that: a. there is no real point in posting such large, high quality images (all it does it chew up everyones bandwidth), and (more importantly) b. some unfortunate people are still on dial up (ouch!!).

This is a tough one. When Lara brought this up, I scrolled through the posts and checked out image sizes. Are we worried about number of pixels or memory? If we are talking about loading speed, then memory is the issue. My images are set in such away to not use much more memory than many of the smaller pictures. Thus, my pictures may look larger than some, but they still load quickly. My images are by no means the largest posted. I just checked again and saw some that are 500k.

So, the question is this: how many people use dial-up? Myself, I use broadband so all of these pages load instantly. If 75% of the people are using dial-up, I would be the first to post smaller pictures. However, if it is just 1%, then the burden should be on the dial-up to change their settings to not allow pictures or maybe just not open these threads. What really matters is the percentages. We can argue that small pictures are just as good as large pictures, but camera and television buying trends clearly show that people want large detailed pictures. The whole point of posting pictures is to show the details on the coin and not just reduce it down to a tiny metal disk. The coins that I like are detailed and I think the pictures should show them off. The Troy coin that I most recently posted is beautiful and complex; it deserves more than just a thumbnail.

Perhaps the moderators can provide picture posting guidelines. If they give a memory maximum, I will stick to it.

I just checked and in 2009, 93% of the US residential internet connections were broadband. Now that it is 2011, I would expect that number to be higher. The US also lags behind other developed countries in broadband penetration, meaning that non-US users are even more likely to have broadband. The outcome is that if the people reading this forum are normal or average in computer connectivity, 19 out of 20 people have no trouble loading pictures in these forums.

However, those are just the statistics. If you will notice, I have not posted to this thread much and doubt that I will be posting here much in the future. What prompted my pictures here was getting some coins that were above average in coolness. It probably won't happen again soon.

if you want to show off the details in a coin, it still can be done like keewee said. but perhaps the mailbox thread or the wants thread are not the place to show them off. folks just like seeing what others received or want.

i am on broadband with 4 gigs of ram in the 'puter so that is not the issue. i am not sure why your pics just stall the whole darn page. they don't open up completely.

maybe a special thread for sharing your photos, then if folks want to look at them they can, and if not, they don't have to open the thread. i use to make my pics much bigger until someone said "hey" so i started making them smaller. we aren't talking about dime-size here. just smaller. and i save the jpegs at less quality too. it isn't as if i am doing my photo work here.

rsg

Woejam did a great job on this one! Gatoulis also deserves some credit for helping with the Greek. They should be proud of this.

Love the look of those coins but have bought too many recently so trying to limit myself.

After looking at your pictures though I might just have to buy one or two :unsure:

Woejam did a great job on this one! Gatoulis also deserves some credit for helping with the Greek. They should be proud of this.

Love the look of those coins but have bought too many recently so trying to limit myself.

After looking at your pictures though I might just have to buy one or two :unsure:

I agree - very nice looking coins!

Gregson, I took the initiative of condensing your photos into one and removing distracting background stuff. Still lots of interesting details with less real estate used. :)

Troy.jpg...

What is the name of this coin and is it available somewhere?

Maybe you should remove the tracking numbers?

Gregson, I took the initiative of condensing your photos into one and removing distracting background stuff. Still lots of interesting details with less real estate used. :)

Troy.jpg...

<_< - yes, the detail is good - as can easily read the tracking numbers. Opps.

another long gone favorite returning home. last purchase for a while - at least until kzb's ufo coins come in.

5337272416_d693e33285_o.jpg

i got this one not too awfully long ago, but it has taken forever to get it shot. the one and only, well, one of 15 tranquility, blood in the ocean. same as the USA gold but with a red center.

5336751005_b45986a571_o.jpg

hmmmm, still need a better shot to show off the gold continents.

Two BEEEAUTIFUL coins!

<_< - yes, the detail is good - as can easily read the tracking numbers. Opps.

Interesting that the numbers are noticed in the smaller version of the pics posted by the coins' owner. Just goes to show that more detail can be appreciated in a smaller image. :D:P:rolleyes:

I had posted this in another thread the other day, but I just got an email from Kate, the bell witch, and she was saying that her and her pals never saw the post and they were worried I had not gotten it.

I dont want to make Kate mad - I shudder at this thought :blink::blink: - so I am pasting the original post here in hopes that she and her pals do see it.

Thank you again so much, mystery gifter!! I am still admiring this coin!

--------

I was sitting in the living room this afternoon when my wife walked in the door with mail in her hand. The look in her eyes told me that I had done something wrong. I started going through the mental checklist of Husbandly duties to see if I missed something:

Complement her hair....check

Take notice of all she does for the family....check

Tell her that she is my soulmate.....check

Worked last weekend on the honey-do list.......well

All of the sudden, my thought process was interrupted by a shiny gold package with no postmark that she placed in my hand.

I looked up...yep - I was still getting the Look

"Really honey, I don’t know what this is," I said.

I was getting nervous....did I order another coin and forget about it? Did I order one in my sleep? I carefully opened the package...all the time wondering what this might be and why I was getting it. I know that I am getting older....was my memory failing me?

I slowly reached into the envelope...all the time with my beautiful wife glaring at me...and that is when I pulled out:

Carpe Diem #103!

carpediem2-1.jpg

I dont know who sent this, but I am so happy and thankful. This is my first mystery coin and is now officially my favorite. It is such a beautiful coin. Thank you so much!!!

Now all I need to do is go find a magazine for my wife with the story, "What should you do when you suspect your husband of being a geocoin addict!"

-or-

"So he says he got a mystery coin, what does that mean?"

I had posted this in another thread the other day, but I just got an email from Kate, the bell witch, and she was saying that her and her pals never saw the post and they were worried I had not gotten it.

I dont want to make Kate mad - I shudder at this thought :blink::blink: - so I am pasting the original post here in hopes that she and her pals do see it.

Thank you again so much, mystery gifter!! I am still admiring this coin!

--------

I was sitting in the living room this afternoon when my wife walked in the door with mail in her hand. The look in her eyes told me that I had done something wrong. I started going through the mental checklist of Husbandly duties to see if I missed something:

Complement her hair....check

Take notice of all she does for the family....check

Tell her that she is my soulmate.....check

Worked last weekend on the honey-do list.......well

All of the sudden, my thought process was interrupted by a shiny gold package with no postmark that she placed in my hand.

I looked up...yep - I was still getting the Look

"Really honey, I don’t know what this is," I said.

I was getting nervous....did I order another coin and forget about it? Did I order one in my sleep? I carefully opened the package...all the time wondering what this might be and why I was getting it. I know that I am getting older....was my memory failing me?

I slowly reached into the envelope...all the time with my beautiful wife glaring at me...and that is when I pulled out:

Carpe Diem #103!

carpediem2-1.jpg

I dont know who sent this, but I am so happy and thankful. This is my first mystery coin and is now officially my favorite. It is such a beautiful coin. Thank you so much!!!

Now all I need to do is go find a magazine for my wife with the story, "What should you do when you suspect your husband of being a geocoin addict!"

-or-

"So he says he got a mystery coin, what does that mean?"

Congratulations EyeD10T - what a cool looking coin!