New Travel Bug Mission

martinell

I just purchased my first travel bug dog tag. Since I want this travel bug to have an interesting existence I have spent quite a bit of time pouring over the missions of other travel bugs.

I was curious what travel bug missions you might find interesting to complete? I am hoping for a little something more than "travel from cache to cache" and a little less than "travel around the world, visiting every major tourist attraction."

So what travel bug mission would you be most interested in completing? :D

So what travel bug mission would you be most interested in completing? :D

I don't know about the sort of mission that gets "completed" but there do seem to be some types that people play along with more than others. Simple but kind of fun. I liked Remember 1st, that wants you to recall your first cache find or hide or TB. People seemed good about playing along with Breakfast to Go, a series of breakfast themed cars in a race to...errr...collect breakfasts. People seem to like adding trinkets and keychains to an aggregating bug. My favorite one of those was Show-Me State Capitols, though it dropped out of circulation for months recently.

Most people pick up a bug and drop it without even a photo, so don't set yourself up for disappointment. Any hop where it doesn't disappear is a gift :D

Ones that I like: missions that include taking pictures of certain things or situations that don't require a lot of traveling. Ones that do require travel tend to take me a little too long to get around to, I think. (My most recent example: I had picked up a bug that wanted to visit haunted places, so there was one particular cache that I wanted to take it to. But with the distance and the weather, it took me three weeks to get around to it.)

Some are a little too simple or restrictive, though -- I've picked up some that wanted their pictures taken near KFC restaurants or Best Buy stores. I took the requested pictures and sent the bug along, but I think that those bugs will just end up collecting a whole bunch of nearly-identical pictures before they eventually disappear.

Missions that are a little open-ended, allowing for some finder creativity, tend to result in more interesting logs. (And they're more fun, too.) One such bug that we found recently, "Monkey Business", just wants to get into trouble and have his exploits documented. Here's our log for that one. (It was hard to know when to stop.) In a similar vein, "Larry Boy" likes "traveling and doing good"; here's our log for that one.

One of our own bugs that we like watching is Last Letter Morphing Bug, whose goal is to change form every time it is picked up. It has gone through some interesting transformations.

Choose something that has people do more than move it from cache to cache.

If you don't mind people holding on to it for a while, have it go along with whatever fun things people do.

I have one that simply has pictures taken in farm locations (in another country from my own). Hardly best seller material but it's been pretty interesting to me. It's better than my 'keep moving' bugs.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/gallery.aspx?ID=74540

The "Take Me To Work" bug is popular, no reason not to follow suit. Show me your breakfast table, show me your family, take me swimming, take me caching, document one day with you.

Edited by BlueDeuce