Wow!

Team Perrito Blanco

Hey TPB, thanks for the great PR. These are the Sparta replacements and I had a blast placing them. The trailhead cache is a bit lame but I placed it so people could find their way down to the right parking area (that might be the greatest part of the challenge). The others took me to some really great spots in the park - these should be spectacular over the next few weeks as the leaves change.

I hope you enjoy finding them as much as I did placing them. There are 3 Hurricaine Katrina geocoins up there for you coin fanatics. Bring a snack to enjoy the view - just watch for the bears as they have been very active up there this year. :D

ALSO BRING A CAMERA - I think I will give a prize to the top three Fall pictures taken from Sparta's Best View.

ENJOY!! :D

I'll be there Sunday - weather permitting - since the bears are attracted to me everyone else should be save that day  B)

Sunday! Did I hear Sunday? The REAL Quoddy and I will be hitting the slopes there, too. Maybe this time I'll take the easy way and not go straight up the "Knee Knuckler" side as I did the last two times. How about an 8:00 to 8:30 meet?

Remember to bring your cameras. I think your best shot for a bear is between Stuck Dog and Glen View as they seem to be camped out in that area. I followed a big red fox as I was placing the caches between Sparta's Best View and Morris Lake Overlook. Really wanted a pic but he was too quick.

I would love to join you but I'm off to Chicago to see bears of a different kind ("Da Bears"). :(

Quoddy, or anyone else, would you say doing this series of caches was kid friendly? I'm planning to take the whole crew up there next Saturday and being less than 3 miles, even with the elevation change, makes it even more attractive.

P.S. A suggested order/route would help! Is there a map available for this area?

As luck would have it I can't get my track to load on the map or through a screen shot. We did a "follow the trail toward the nearest cache, and then bushwhack when necessary" method. There were three climbs and decents that were fairly tough. Unless the kids are "scramblers" on steep hills and over rocks, it's going to be tough going at a couple of locations. The order we did them works OK, although I had a slightly different plan in mind prior to going.

I am not sure if I would bring kids - I don't think I'd bring my 7 year old godson - he play's around too much and I don't want to continously have to say no - so I rather take him in more level terrain.... I'll upload our track log in google earth 3d either later today or tomorrow so you can take a look.

It was a lot of fun! I really had a blast!

Is the terrain really that tough? My girls have been hiking since we had to carry them. Real enthusiastic cachers too. I'd hate for them to miss the "as-advertised" views. :lol:

Skigirl and I were there today too. Forgot all about the group hunt or we would have been there earlier. We were about 2 hours behind the gang.

The terrain isn't that tough. If your kids are veteran hikers they will love it. If you're a family with young kids who you may have to carry, then it could be a bit problematic.

There are a few rocky areas and short steeps and the few trails are un-marked and not maintained, but most of the bushwacking is over pretty flat land with little undergrowth.

Generally solid 2.5-3 star terrain.

Is the terrain really that tough? My girls have been hiking since we had to carry them. Real enthusiastic cachers too. I'd hate for them to miss the "as-advertised" views. :)

Sounds like everyone enjoyed the placements so I am pleased.

TPB, as far as the girls doing them, I would say if you really try to pay attention to where the trails are (and they get very faint in a number of spots) they could probably do them with effort. Resist the urge to go up the side of the mountain to Ridge Trail and the rest are pretty doable. The main risk are ticks which get more aggressive as it gets colder.

Is the "Ridge Trail Cache" reachable from "White Marble Falls"? It doesn't look too steep on the topo maps. Could we hit those 2 first then drive further down and start the rest with "Sparta Glen Trailhead"?

Short answer - no. You would be going through some absolutely nasty stuff - downed trees, sticker bushes and a really steep incline.

If you are with the girls, I would recommend Rest Stop followed by Mountain Greenway. Then assess where you are in relation to Ridge Trail. You'll have a much, much better day. :blink:

Is the "Ridge Trail Cache" reachable from "White Marble Falls"? It doesn't look too steep on the topo maps. Could we hit those 2 first then drive further down and start the rest with "Sparta Glen Trailhead"?

Skigirl and I bushwacked from Ridge to the road near White Marble Falls. It wasn't a good idea, though I think going up would be a bit easier. It is quite steep and lots of dead, down hemlocks litter the hillside.

Skigirl and I bushwacked from Ridge to the road near White Marble Falls. It wasn't a good idea, though I think going up would be a bit easier. It is quite steep and lots of dead, down hemlocks litter the hillside.

Thanx Brian. I read your notes for those caches. I'm convinced.

I may now push this visit to Sunday and go to the Harriman event on Saturday. Maybe do the Africa Loop Series.