Sick Of Stupid F’n Coins

Criminal

Sick Of Stupid F’n Coins, Melt 'em all damnnit

Sheesh common!!

anyone thats read this forum even a little bit knows you want true press minted coins, which are more costly but better quality. you don't want melted cast coins, they're full of tiny air bubbles and might break if they every actually leave the display case and get dropped (into a cache) or something! :ph34r:

QUOTE (Cornerstone4 @ Oct 17 2005, 09:05 PM)

I blame geocaching.com 

I guess it is just beyond my ability to understand why there is any blame to be assigned here. 

gc.com is a global community, and there is a place for everyone. TPTB were even kind enough to give us coin collectors a thread of our own. If the coin craze bothers you, then just stay off of this thread! 

I love it, three little words and you kick me out of the forum.

Does geocaching.com count as one word? :lol:

Without gc.com none of this would happen, where would you like me to lay blame? They offer the option.

I guess my whole point was why we need to "blame" anyone. :ph34r:

Excuse me for not liking everything, I'm not a Polly Anna.

I'm sorry, but I wasn't sure what gender you were, so I never would have assumed to call you Polly. :ph34r:

In all seriousness, when I re-read my earlier post, it sounds more hostile than I intended. Besides, even if I wanted to kick you off this forum, I lack the clout to do it! :lol:

I didn't mean my post to come off as a personal attack.

On another topic, how come when I quote someone else, all the little smilies don't show up in the quoted text? What am I doing wrong?

Somebody wants to know how much they’re worth, some people are mailing them, some trading them, and some are even logging coins they’ve never even seen, much less touched. I liked finding them when you had to work to get one (like a Moun10Bike coin in a tough cache) but it seems to be all about gathering icons now. Sheesh.

Geocaching was supposed to be a way to get people out from in front of their TVs and computers.

What the hell happened to finding a container and writing in the logbook?

I go out and cache as much as I possibly can. It's really putting a crimp on my averages that I can't get out in the field again until 10/29. Between the event we're hosting on the 22nd, Halloween itself, and work, there just isn't any spare time right now. There isn't too much that I have ever done that allows me to have this much fun, and stay sober and dressed.

I also collect Geocoins. I'm closing in on 100 coins. And what are they worth? Not a dam# thing. Except to me. They represent a passtime that we found that we both enjoy, and do our best to sell new people on trying. So what if I didn't find them in a cache?

As much as I like and respect you Criminal, I think you're a bit too touchy about this. On the other hand, this might be your way of starting another debate, and I fell for it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I always listen to what you have to say. Agreeing....well, not nearly as often.

Without gc.com none of this would happen, where would you like me to lay blame? They offer the option.

I guess my whole point was why we need to "blame" anyone.

Okay, maybe blame isn't the right word. How about, 'allowing the situation' in where we have a difference of opinion? :ph34r:

(apparently I should stick to the labeling inanimate objects, my mistake)

Hey! If we're going to get naked I'll need an address!

I hope that the comments about "melt then all" were actually just an over-statement and not all that serious. I'm sure we can all find a way to enjoy this hobby as we see fit. Some with coins, some with no clothes. :ph34r:

In fact, I personally find virtual logging (without seeing the coin) and the fact that many coins are not cached and only collected to be a little "against the grain" of what I personally see as their main purpose. I cache all my "doubles" and try to use coins as my trading item.

However, I don't lose any sleep over it and wish the folks that do it well. Have your fun your way.

anyone thats read this forum even a little bit knows you want true press minted coins, which are more costly but better quality. you don't want melted cast coins, they're full of tiny air bubbles and might break if they every actually leave the display case and get dropped (into a cache) or something!

Uh oh - I have been painstakingly casting my personal "TikiCoins" in bronze via lost-wax all week! I promise a "melted" coin wont break when you drop/cache it! Don't dis the melted coins! :ph34r:

Henrik

anyone thats read this forum even a little bit knows you want true press minted coins, which are more costly but better quality. you don't want melted cast coins, they're full of tiny air bubbles and might break if they every actually leave the display case and get dropped (into a cache) or something!

Uh oh - I have been painstakingly casting my personal "TikiCoins" in bronze via lost-wax all week! I promise a "melted" coin wont break when you drop/cache it! Don't dis the melted coins! :ph34r:

Henrik

Want to trade coins?

Windrose

Uh oh - I have been painstakingly casting my personal "TikiCoins" in bronze via lost-wax all week! I promise a "melted" coin wont break when you drop/cache it! Don't dis the melted coins! B)

Henrik

1. Sweet, got pictures? What equipement do you use?

2. are you saying there are no bubbles at all?

3. I really doubt they would break as easily as the pressed coinage mints say, but I don't commonly drop test geocoins so I'm just guessing here. I'll take your word for it. B)

I'll put some "process" pictures on my site when they are all done - Should be virtually bubble free as they are cast in a vacuum. I have a small sculpture studio with a kiln, mold-making and wax casting equipment. The bronze is cast by a friend in a vacuum furnace. I'm surprised by the porosity concerns raided by the mints - cast metal is extremely strong and durable. I haven't read what the coin mints say, but my guess is they may be speaking of weak/inexpensive alloys (such as "white metal" and the like). Ancient coins (which I LOVE) were either cast (common with ancient chinese and roman coinage) or stamped on metal slugs. Thick, sculptural with high relief, and durable - that is the "feel" and look that I am adopting in my first personal coins.

Man - this got off topic - sorry everyone!

Henrik

What does the (perfectly legitimate) collecting of coins have to do with geocaching? 

I honestly don't know what Jeremy was thinking when he opened it up. 

Easy - it's a way to get increased revenue, basically free advertising, and a mechanism to build a bigger community of hopefully someday paying customers.

The stuff I don't understand is stats for event caches, and Waymarking, but that's fodder for another troll...

What does the (perfectly legitimate) collecting of coins have to do with geocaching? 

I honestly don't know what Jeremy was thinking when he opened it up. 

Easy - it's a way to get increased revenue, basically free advertising, and a mechanism to build a bigger community of hopefully someday paying customers.

The stuff I don't understand is stats for event caches, and Waymarking, but that's fodder for another troll...

He may not know what he started, but I am sure he is happy he did. Look at the money he is making off selling speacial icons! :(