Sick Of Stupid F’n Coins

Criminal

Somebody wants to know how much they’re worth, some people are mailing them, some trading them, and some are even logging coins they’ve never even seen, much less touched. I liked finding them when you had to work to get one (like a Moun10Bike coin in a tough cache) but it seems to be all about gathering icons now. Sheesh.

Geocaching was supposed to be a way to get people out from in front of their TVs and computers.

What the hell happened to finding a container and writing in the logbook?

Somebody wants to know how much they’re worth, some people are mailing them, some trading them, and some are even logging coins they’ve never even seen, much less touched. I liked finding them when you had to work to get one (like a Moun10Bike coin in a tough cache) but it seems to be all about gathering icons now. Sheesh.

Geocaching was supposed to be a way to get people out from in front of their TVs and computers.

if you really believed that

"Geocaching was supposed to be a way to get people out from in front of their TVs and computers."

then why in the sam hill do you have 4000+ posts here.

Why are you not out caching?

Just curious :D

I believe this rises out of a thread in the general forum referencing the logging of coins that people have never moved, or likely never even seen. I think that is rather tacky, but I don't particularly care what other people do and am not about to try to police it. Myself, I log coins that I have moved. In a few rare instances I logged a friend's personal coin when I met them at an event because they insisted on it and it was not giving me a new icon. Of course I also collect coins. So far I have not logged any of those. I suppose I could, but since I like to keep track of ones I find and move normally, I haven't logged the ones in my collection with the exception of my Mountain Bike coin which was given to me during a caching trip. Others log the coins in their collection. That is OK too.

"Geocaching was supposed to be a way to get people out from in front of their TVs and computers."

Hahaha, you said "sam hill". :D That couldn't have possibly been phrased better, thanks for the laugh. :D

Oh yeah, nothing beats coming home after finding a container and signing a logbook to find a coin in the mailbox. I don't think anyone who collects geocoins doesn't cache as well. If they didn't cache, what possible value would the coins have to them? Just something pretty?

This is a rehash of an old thread before they gave coins their own thread.

In fact, the "Screw Geocoins" coin is almost ready to mint. GC artwork approval is pending, and they will have screw for an icon!

Sorry, but I thought is was funny, so I couldn't resist. Once I have the die artwork back, I will make a formal post.

C4

In fact, the "Screw Geocoins" coin is almost ready to mint. GC artwork approval is pending, and they will have screw for an icon!

Sorry, but I thought is was funny, so I couldn't resist. Once I have the die artwork back, I will make a formal post.

C4

As I had said in that thread, I will take two. :D

:D

Edited by ladycacher
Somebody wants to know how much they’re worth, some people are mailing them, some trading them, and some are even logging coins they’ve never even seen, much less touched.  I liked finding them when you had to work to get one (like a Moun10Bike coin in a tough cache) but it seems to be all about gathering icons now.  Sheesh.

Great I love it !! please put me down for 2 coins :D

QUOTE (Cornerstone4 @ Oct 17 2005, 01:41 PM)

...In fact, the "Screw Geocoins" coin is almost ready to mint. GC artwork approval is pending, and they will have screw for an icon!... 

Does that coin also come with a merit badge?

:D

No merit badge...just a screw shaped icon. (After all, it's all about the icons isn't it?)

It is shaped like a screw, and about 2" long. Since I wanted to make a joke about some cachers frustration with the coin craze, I figured I may as well make the shape non-standard as well, so it doesn't fit well in a display case! :D

I will start a new thread on it next week. I didn't mean to totally hijack this rant thread...but then again, if you REALLY hate geocoins, you just shouldn't read this thread! :D

C4

I'll take two plz :D can't wait for my first Geocoin icon...then i'll collect them all wahahahahahaha

Finally, an original thread ! Shoulda known Crimey would be the one to kick it out. I'll take a screw coin, an F'in coin, and if ya make one Criminal, a "Sofa King We Todd It" coin too please. What a classic that could be.

Now that I've seen the pic of Sam Hill ( nother constipated lookin old white guy from long ago ) please explain what he did to have such an enduring phrase originate from him.

Just what in the Sam Hill did Samuel Hill do ?

C4

put us down for 2 please :D

I do not have time to run 10 miles to find a cache. I have 2 jobs and 3 kids. I love to cache, but no time. So getting on the computer for 5 minutes or less to order or trade a coin is cool. I love it when the nice shiny coin comes in the mail. It makes my whole day, to see it and show it to the kids. If and when you find a coin in the caches. Please send it to me if I do not already have it. Thanks and Happy Trails to you. :D

I'm looking forward to those screw geocoins coming out. Once someone gets one, could you please email me the tracking number so I can add the icon to my stats? :D

Seriously, I don't think geocoins are really travelers anymore. Instead, they have come to make up part of the social fabric of geocaching. You can share them with cachers you meet on the trail or at events. Perhaps ocassionally someone will drop a coin in a very special cache or as a FTF prize, but the chance of anything other than a USA geocoin traveling far is probably hopeless.

When the USA coins and the Moun10Bike coins were the only trackable coins (not too long ago), the USA coins travelled alright (but still went missing too often) and the Moun10Bike coins were pretty much only findable in special caches in the Pacific Northwest. I know the only time I went after one required me to solve a puzzle cache the night Moun10Bike dropped it in a cache, and then go for a pretty decent hike before sunrise in January! Even with that effort I wasn't the first person there!

OK, I'll make an exception for that one, put me down for one. :D

I have'nt seen the screw coins here in Nevada, but the Brothels have tokens for it.

:D Beep, Beep, Beep...

So where exactly is Sam Hill?

Check under "Hide and Seek a Cache":

Where the "Sam Hill" am I?

In answer to Criminal's post: Geocoins are a way for Geocaching to make lots of money. To that, I say "Go for it". Who really cares if there are 567 different types of geocoins? Especially since they have been condensed on the cache pages. I have bought three, and that's all I'll ever buy. For me, the craze has peaked. And I'm glad that coins has its own forum. That way I can ignore it for the most part.

Oh, wait! There's a new South Turks and Caicos Islands Geocoin!

snip< but it seems to be all about gathering icons now. Sheesh.

What the hell happened to finding a container and writing in the logbook? >

Nothing happened to geocaching....it's still here.... don't worry...it's still here.....

Personally, I have times when I can cache and times when I can't -- I like the coins as a fun collectible...

Please don't <deleted> on my fun.

I pretty much agree with Criminal, but it doesn't bother me too much. The current Geocoin craze has virtually nothing to do with geocaching. It's about collectibles - they're Geo-beanie babies. The coins being bought and sold and logged 'virtually' are all worthless in my opinion. One I had to work for, just to log it and pass it on - that might interest me. But then again, this nonsense doesn't hurt the core of the game, so have at it. Maybe I'll even come up with a limited edition coin and make a few bucks off it.

I like the coins as a fun collectible...

Finally, a reasonable explanation. OK, I can grasp that, people collect all sorts of things. But do these collectables need to be tracked by the geocaching site?

Please don't <deleted> on my fun.

Whatever could have been in that space? I’m not, I just think geocaching should be about geocaching. Have all the fun you can (legally) have.

I pretty much agree with Criminal, but it doesn't bother me too much.

That’s new, most people are terribly bothered to agree with me. :ph34r:

That's a pretty good observation. Now what?

What does it matter in the scheme of things? Does it matter if someone virtually logs a find -- coin, cache or other?

I think we sometimes think this is a "community" sport. While we share the interest and subscribe to a common website -- caching (even team caching) is basically an individual pursuit. The stats are not controlled and are absolutely meaningless to anyone other than the cacher themselves. I have relativley low stats, but have placed many caches that have given others fun. I have low stats, but have many 1000's of KM between my caches. I have low stats, but have found many different types of caches. I have low stats, but collect coins and have a personal coin.

So if someone plays the game different than you do it just doesn't matter. If someone collects coins -- doesn't matter.

What DOES matter is whether someone comes around and judges those of us that enjoy collecting the coins. <snip> (said something I rather not have said)

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

As I said, I understand the concept of collecting things. It's perfectly normal and I'm not judging anyone for doing it.

But this is the geocaching website. What does the (perfectly legitimate) collecting of coins have to do with geocaching?

I honestly don't know what Jeremy was thinking when he opened it up.

In 4+ years of caching, nobody in Seattle has listened to anything I’ve said so don’t worry, your coin collecting/tracking system seems to be safe. ;-)

Well! THAT's a different story!

The coins are either personal trade items (like the old cards in HAM Radio) and/or Travel Bugs. THAT's what they have to do with Geocaching.

Collecting them is simply an individual choice. People collect all sorts of items.

I'm sure geocaching will be okay.

(I guess I should add that "normal" coins are currency. We could ask, what does coin collecting have to do with commerce?)

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog
As I said, I understand the concept of collecting things. It's perfectly normal and I'm not judging anyone for doing it.

But this is the geocaching website. What does the (perfectly legitimate) collecting of coins have to do with geocaching?

I honestly don't know what Jeremy was thinking when he opened it up.

In 4+ years of caching, nobody in Seattle has listened to anything I’ve said so don’t worry, your coin collecting/tracking system seems to be safe. ;-)

I blame geocaching.com

I blame geocaching.com

I guess it is just beyond my ability to understand why there is any blame to be assigned here. :lol:

gc.com is a global community, and there is a place for everyone. TPTB were even kind enough to give us coin collectors a thread of our own. If the coin craze bothers you, then just stay off of this thread! :lol:

I get frustrated that 90% of the new caches in my home area seem to be micros. Then again, I am not complaining about it. If I don't want to do micros, TPTB have even been so kind as to allow me to set filters so I can ignore the micros if I so choose. :ph34r:

I guess I just don't understand why there is any blame to be assigned, or why there is so much geocaching bigotry in the forums. There is something for everyone in this sport. :ph34r:

Just curious :ph34r:

Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

I think the Mint and Post Office should stop selling to collectors! They've given folks 150 years of collecting and it must stop!

What does coin collecting have to do with commerce? What does stamp collecting have to do with Postal Services? :ph34r:

The fact is... geocoins are a part of the hobby. Like it or not, they represent something. They represent an affection for the hobby and for collecting souveniers. Not to mention that some are trackable and are hence travel bugs.

It's really going to be okay. Nobody will get hurt ....... really.

I blame geocaching.com

I guess it is just beyond my ability to understand why there is any blame to be assigned here. :ph34r:

gc.com is a global community, and there is a place for everyone. TPTB were even kind enough to give us coin collectors a thread of our own. If the coin craze bothers you, then just stay off of this thread! :ph34r:

I love it, three little words and you kick me out of the forum.

Without gc.com none of this would happen, where would you like me to lay blame? They offer the option.

Excuse me for not liking everything, I'm not a Polly Anna. But I do know the difference between reality, and wants and wishes,

Edited by BlueDeuce